Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Has anyone tried powering their hand grinder with an electric screw driver or other powered device? We are getting ready for a month long trip and I am looking at alternatives to my current set up which is a stainless steal 4 cup peculator and am considering the AeroPress coffee system. Hand grinding sounds like too much work.

Last edited:

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@JackA Hand grinding is not all that much work. I have a little GSI collapsible I use. It takes maybe 5 minutes start to finish to grind enough coffee for a cup.

Longer if I wanted to make a pot but not much.

I use my Jet boil and either a coffee cup top drip or French press depending on time.

James.Laidlaw

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maineville, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Laidlaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7LTK
I would be lying if I said this is not one of our main coffee setups.

[Horton's picture deleted due to size]
Touche!

I don't always drink Camp Coffee....but when I do, I'm in camp!

If I am just hitting the road I'm not opposed to stocking up for the day from home, Starbucks' or Timmy's drive thru!

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Touche!

I don't always drink Camp Coffee....but when I do, I'm in camp!

If I am just hitting the road I'm not opposed to stocking up for the day from home, Starbucks' or Timmy's drive thru!
Oh yes, nothing better than coffee made in the woods! Wait, at this point, I feel that I am going to see a tim's in the backcountry here!

Mathes

Local Expert Massachusetts, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

If you are a cold coffee person (which I know most people aren't)... this is the ultimate setup. Grounds, water, throw it in the fridge... and drive. Coffee on tap.
I need this... I personally don't like hot coffee, not my cup of...well coffee! It's the new England in me xD. So this might be a great little thing... I normally just buy pre-made coldbrew...

pheenx9

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

35°22'18.0"N 84°18'16.0"W
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Scott
Member #

I need this... I personally don't like hot coffee, not my cup of...well coffee! It's the new England in me xD. So this might be a great little thing... I normally just buy pre-made coldbrew...
We used to buy ours also, but for what it is, waaaaaay over priced. Depending on the grounds you use, the quality will be just as good!. The only issue i have ran into so far, is after a pretty decent offroad traveling day there will be very fine grounds in the bottom. Not a deal breaker for me though! Throw some honey and milk in, and roll out!

Mathes

Local Expert Massachusetts, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Yeah, that wouldnt really bother me, but that's now on my list... Thanks for making me spend more money xD

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I tried a few quick methods that allow me to make coffee in a few minutes with minimal cleanup during, I hate instant coffee. I tried the teabag style not a fan, too weak lacked flavor. I then tried the Borsa style single serving drip, it comes in a small palm sized packet, that includes coffee and filter. Boil water pour in water and done, with the jetboil about 15 minutes start to finish and on the road. The brand I was gifted was very good coffee.

Just a image to show the system from a web site that sells them

single pour coffee.jpg

Reactions: Patrick-A51

F8OO

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
F
Member #

As a heavy coffee drinker I have 2 ways. I have a 9 cup camping percolator that I use with pre ground coffee, but if its just me drinking, i will use Star Bucks singles. Such a fast and convenient way to get a decent cup.

I really prefer a deep and creamy espresso but i've learned to really love these fast and convenient singles while on the road!

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

I have a small French press that I use if it’s multiple people. If it’s just me it’s more likely I’ll just make a cup of instant. If I’m not breaking down camp that day I might use the French press and make a few cups to drink throughout the morning.

Kuba

Rank 0

Contributor I

Europe
First Name
bla
Last Name
bla
I don't drink coffee, but for my wife coffee is religion.
We use AeroPress with with Fellow Prismo attachement and Comandante coffee grinder.

nigelsiam

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Minnesota
First Name
Nigel
Last Name
Naughton
Member #

I use a Stanley all-in-one French Press...I've been using it for a long time and it's durable and makes excellent coffee. In a pinch I will use Starbucks packs to make ice coffee and also I brought a bunch of 3-in-1 instant coffee back with me from travels in Thailand and they work great too for those times when you don't want to waste time. They aren't popular here in USA but they are super cheap in Thailand so I brought a couple bags back with me.

loyotadisa

Rank 0

Contributor I

FRANCE
First Name
loha
Last Name
bitadia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM
I haven't actually used it yet. I saw it in a thrift store for $5 and couldn't leave it. I need to put some beans in my Hario Skerton grinder and some alcohol in the burner and make a cup of hipster coffee.

Chad
Pour over is a good simple approach for a great cup ut yeah, it's also totally hipster. I should know, I've got a Chemex I use at home...

Last edited:

CampingInMay

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Reno
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
MAY
Member #

I use a Jetboil with the french press accessory but I am going to switch over to a dedicated french press I can just pour the hot water into.
Any recommendations for durable french presses for the camping tote?

nigelsiam

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Minnesota
First Name
Nigel
Last Name
Naughton
Member #

I use a Jetboil with the french press accessory but I am going to switch over to a dedicated french press I can just pour the hot water into.
Any recommendations for durable french presses for the camping tote?
I use the Stanley French Press and it works great. It's the stainless non insulated version.