Coffee Set Ups

• HTML tutorial

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I’ve used coffee pots, instant coffe and a MSR Backpacking coffee drip screen. The instant coffee is my favorite because it’s quick, easy and no clean up.

But my new favorite method will have to be the Pour Over.

E3D39704-D3A6-45F8-B641-2DD02817151F.jpeg

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
I do not drink the vile nasty horrid, yet wonderful smelling stuff... I used to have some friends who had started a coffee house they desperately wanted to find SOME way to serve me coffee that I would like the taste of and never could. However, that said, I have long kept a french press in my camping kit (til I gave it to an acquaintance a couple years back at a historical recreation event.) I try to keep one in my kit for the purpose of ensuring that my companions can drink their bitter black burnt bean tea when we are camping. IMO while there are a variety of gadgets for making different types of fancy coffee, the simple french press and the pour over filter holder are the two most convenient methods, though personally I have never understood the pour over method as it seems highly wasteful to me as most times I have seen folks use it, they use enough coffee to make a full pot or more, yet only make a cup or two then through out the grinds. For camping in almost any form, I would advise searching out a poly-carbonate french press. They are reasonably priced, simple to use, and quite rugged for camping with.

Reactions: rgallant

Snerk

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Rosa, CA
First Name
michael
Last Name
baker
Currently we just have a basic, blue enameled steel percolator. I'm not a huge fan of percolators because of how they can burn the coffee, but it was inexpensive and it turned water into coffee, so I'm not complaining.

In the future I'll probably figure out a way to add a french press to my kitchen loadout, or maybe a pour-over for space/durability concerns.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
The trick to percolators is low heat, just enough to boil the water. Once the coffee is done very low heat once you get the hang of it they work well, but a pour over is simpler for a couple of people

Snerk

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Rosa, CA
First Name
michael
Last Name
baker
The trick to percolators is low heat, just enough to boil the water. Once the coffee is done very low heat once you get the hang of it they work well, but a pour over is simpler for a couple of people
Yeah by and large it's just going to be my spouse and I, though I may keep the percolator around so I can toss it in the tote if we're going out with multiple people. But most mornings we'll only be going through 2-4 cups of coffee between the two of us.

Hence why I'd rather have a french press, better quality coffee and we won't really mind the smaller volume :)

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Yeah by and large it's just going to be my spouse and I, though I may keep the percolator around so I can toss it in the tote if we're going out with multiple people. But most mornings we'll only be going through 2-4 cups of coffee between the two of us.

Hence why I'd rather have a french press, better quality coffee and we won't really mind the smaller volume :)
Our coffee consumption in the mornings is 8-10 cups measured in the coffee pot. So like two large mugs. Perc is a must! ha ha

BizzyB

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Englewood, CO 80112, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Baecker
Member #

I use a Jetboil with the french press accessory but I am going to switch over to a dedicated french press I can just pour the hot water into.
Any recommendations for durable french presses for the camping tote?
Maybe you already got something, but I use this and it works great. Doesn't take up a ton of space either. I got mine at REI though.

GSI French Press

REI Link

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

My laziness has turned me on to instant coffee. Heat my water, fill my cup, drop a spoon in and I'm good. Cafe Bustelo is my current favorite. I had a jar of Folgers Noir and that was pretty decent as well.

Reactions: El-Dracho

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
this has been a great thread. i started drinking coffee in the navy 35 yrs ago and it was shit coffee so i used a lot of cream and sugar. when i got out, i just continued with cheap shit coffee brewed any way with lots of sugar and cream. well, after reading thru this thread, i have switched to a better coffee (black rifle) and use the aeropress i picked up at home goods for $9 and i now have great coffee that i can drink black and not have to haul around cream and sugar. probably healthier too, without the sugar and chemical creamer.

IMG_0208.JPG

Last edited:

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@grubworm bad coffee is the worst, that's why there are so many coffee snobs. I can remember as a young corporal making coffee in a percolator, brought my own single burner stove. And suddenly the SSM and Squadron (armored recon) Co showed up cups in hand. I was very popular when the squadron was together

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Finally have my setup down and it's basically this grinder (different brand though) with an Aeropress. Ditched the funnel and the grinder just barely slides into the open end of the Aeropress plunger so the whole kit fits into the little bag. Much smaller than my french press with much better flavor and more importantly, 10x easier cleanup.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I have to disagree. The V60 doesn't look pretentious, my Hario Technica looks pretentious.

Chad
I don't know if anyone's seen Giri / Haji on Netflix or not but besides being a pretty great Japanese/British cop show there is a scene in a coffee shop in Japan where there are three of these coffee makers on the counter. For me it was almost the best part of the whole series.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
My laziness has turned me on to instant coffee. Heat my water, fill my cup, drop a spoon in and I'm good. Cafe Bustelo is my current favorite. I had a jar of Folgers Noir and that was pretty decent as well.
Despite I am a a coffee lover and enjoy a cup of good brwed coffee very much, I use also instant coffee while on the road and even at home. There are quite good instant coffees on the market I have to admit.

Reactions: The other Sean

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
I grind some coffee to a course grind before I leave my house and then use a cheap amazon French press for camp.