Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

I was at REI with my refund being tempted by everything when I came across this. Its made by "GSI Outdoors" and its a french press/mug in 1. You just press the coffee and drink straight from it. What got me was the $16 price tag and my girlfriend doesn't drink coffee so i got it. Just took it out this weekend and must say if you see it in REI and are tempted like I was. You're better off with a normal target french press and a mug. The seal in the press isn't that good and lets water by so when you press it you get boiling water on your hand. No way around it.

It got me my caffeine though so ill give it a generous 3/5 stars.

IMG_8091.jpg

Reactions: Boppa's Travels

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

Oh should also mention. THE BEST camping coffee I've ever had is made by a company called "Verve". They make a portable 'dripkit' starts at $3.50 a kit and gets cheaper the more you get. So id say its on the high end of the price spectrum for sure but if you want to treat yourself you won't be disappointed.

*this message is not sponsored*

Reactions: Kvocal

Kvocal

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Inglewood, CA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Long
Member #

Oh should also mention. THE BEST camping coffee I've ever had is made by a company called "Verve". They make a portable 'dripkit' starts at $3.50 a kit and gets cheaper the more you get. So id say its on the high end of the price spectrum for sure but if you want to treat yourself you won't be disappointed.

*this message is not sponsored*
Question, are the drip tips intended to be disposable? In other words is there an individual drip kit with a pre-measured coffee in them?

Reactions: stark-in-the-wild

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Kvocal yes to disposable they are just grounds, filter and card. Toss them in the fire or with your other bio-degradable material The sample set I bought from another vendor was very nice coffee.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
when i was on submarines in the navy, this was how we got coffee.....
takes up little space and keeps both hands free for important tasks like cleaning....and more cleaning

1596040119880.png

Last edited:

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
when i was on submarines in the navy, this was how we got coffee.....
takes up little space and keeps both hands free for important tasks like cleaning....and more cleaning

View attachment 164912
What the military made you clean, shine, cleanup cigarette butts, polish brass, and scrub the latrine (i guess head for you). The nerve of some people.

• Haha
Reactions: grubworm

Kvocal

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Inglewood, CA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Long
Member #

This is an excellent idea if you’re using an Aero press. It looks like a manual coffee grinder will fit in the plunger of the Aero Press. Great for compactness. This is a screengrab from the firebox YouTube page. I think this guy is the creator of the firebox great videos for camping fishing and cooking on the trail, by the way.

Attachments

LanaDelNeigh

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Big Springs/Fredonia, AZ
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Mix
Member #

Jetboil with the french press attachment is my go-to, although it does leaves a few grinds in when you pour..... extra flavor? Or I just bring some kirkland canned cold brew, can't go wrong with that.
I worked with a line medic last year that did jetboil for water and an aeropress- now that was good coffee.

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

The Wacaco Minipresso will churn out some good espresso shots. Mine did eventually crack though. Not sure if it was from over pressurizing or thermal shock from sub freezing temps. Back to the Jetboil french press at the moment as well. It does add a little bit of texture to the cup.

Larry Gaudreau

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Jacobstown, New Jersey
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Gaudreau
Member #

I work very strange hours, some time over nights, I need coffee to get me going.. likely I have coffee stops everywhere here cilization but out on the trails I need an easier setup.. maybe a Kruik setup :). LOL. I remember my Army days " camping " a few hundred other guys, we always had a kitchen and LOTS of the Black Brew... just seating :sunglasses:

Haust

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
D
Last Name
W
Member #

I use Snow Peak's Collapsible Coffee Drip with a hemp filter, for pour over. Don't bother trying paper cone filters. The bottom hole is too big and they just burst. For best flavor, use the finest setting, for grinding the beans. It's a very compact set-up that can even fit in the glove box.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Once again, the simplest, easy-to-clean-up coffee is with a Melitta single cup filter holder, #4 filters, with ground coffee of your choice into whatever container you like. Exact same way we make coffee at home. French presses, Aeropress, and similar require you to deal with grounds and far more clean up. And guess what? The coffee is no better.

Reactions: NØMAD and velo47

Navigatesway

Rank I

Traveler I

London, ON, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Vanderveen
Member #

Ive used the aeropress for years on canoe and backpacking trips. Best coffee going imo. Really important to have a good coffee though to begin with. Makes a world of difference

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Does someone has a good recommendation for a coffee grinder? Comparable small and easy to stow away.

Thanks!

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I was at REI with my refund being tempted by everything when I came across this. Its made by "GSI Outdoors" and its a french press/mug in 1. You just press the coffee and drink straight from it. What got me was the $16 price tag and my girlfriend doesn't drink coffee so i got it. Just took it out this weekend and must say if you see it in REI and are tempted like I was. You're better off with a normal target french press and a mug. The seal in the press isn't that good and lets water by so when you press it you get boiling water on your hand. No way around it.

It got me my caffeine though so ill give it a generous 3/5 stars.

View attachment 164679
We have3 been using these for a couple years now. They work great. If you pull the press up slightly when the water gets close to the seal then down some more, it will not bubble over through the seal. down and up and down again, all the way to the bottom. Give it a go and see if it works. Ours work great and give a great cup of jo.

Reactions: Gustavo Amaral

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I've been drinking cold brew lately and don't think I can go back to regularly brewed coffee. Cold brew is a concentrate, I add two ounces of coffee to six ounces of water. If you bring a jar of concentrate all you have to do is boil water in the morning and add the cold brew.

I use the Toddy although there are plenty of other makers out there.