Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Inspired by @Michael and @Corrie ’s very well thought out YouTube video series, thank you guys, The Northwest has dubbed May “Overland Bound KISS” month. The Sunday Night Northwest Conference Call will be focusing on making our loads lighter, trips longer, and enjoying the outdoors better, all while Keeping It Simple.

So here is a place for all you members outside the Northwest to participate. It’s real simple, One post per entry.... Give us your cheapest Tip or Trick and a short description of why it is such a neat trick.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’ll go first:
Frisbees- they make great paper plate holders to keep the wind from blowing your paper plates around, they are also excellent plates in them selves, can also be used as a shallow bowl for stews and chili, throw leftovers on one and wrap tinfoil around it to keep the food from getting eaten by squirrels, and lastly they can be used to play games like frisbee golf or 500.

Now it’s your turn. Post your cheap trick or tip.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Inspired by @Michael and @Corrie ’s very well thought out YouTube video series, thank you guys, The Northwest has dubbed May “Overland Bound KISS” month. The Sunday Night Northwest Conference Call will be focusing on making our loads lighter, trips longer, and enjoying the outdoors better, all while Keeping It Simple.

So here is a place for all you members outside the Northwest to participate. It’s real simple, One post per entry.... Give us your cheapest Tip or Trick and a short description of why it is such a neat trick.
Awesome Mike! This is a fantastic thread!

OK - here is a couple quick ones:

1. A simple magnet makes a great versatile mount for small flashlights and other equipment.

IMG_9661.jpg

2. Throw a rock in your light garbage container when empty to keep it from blowing away in the wind!

IMG_9662.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

1. A simple magnet makes a great versatile mount for small flashlights and other equipment.

View attachment 152292

2. Throw a rock in your light garbage container when empty to keep it from blowing away in the wind!

View attachment 152293
I use magnets wherever I can... they hold my Mic, Flashlight, Tablet, Cellphone, and myriad of other items I want to keep handy

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Here is another one...

when storing your water containers for extended time: Point the spout down and leave the cap slightly unscrewed to allow the container to drain and breath, while keeping out bugs, spiders, and dust.

to clean the container use 1 tablespoon of bleach for every gallon of water. Slosh the water around and let sit in the sun for several hours before emptying the container and storing as posted above.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Throw a Luci Lux or two on your dashboard while you drive and you'll never need to worry about replacing batteries. We like the "frosted" version since they give out a warm diffuse light and work great for lighting a dinner table or camp kitchen. They'll run all night on the low mode and make a good nightlight if you camp with children.

Reactions: Shahn

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Sleeping in your truck saves a lot of time since you don't have to set up a tent. One downside is that you need to figure out ventilation, and many of the "mesh bag over the window" and "hold it in place with magnets" solutions don't seal very well.

Instead you can use scrap 1/8" plywood and screen door material (basically free) to create inserts that fit into the window track and are shaped to match the curve of the glass. You just put these in the track and close the window until it holds it in place.

trevorturtle

Rank 0

Contributor I

colorado
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
turtle
Sleeping in your truck saves a lot of time since you don't have to set up a tent. One downside is that you need to figure out ventilation, and many of the "mesh bag over the window" and "hold it in place with magnets" solutions don't seal very well.

Instead you can use scrap 1/8" plywood and screen door material (basically free) to create inserts that fit into the window track and are shaped to match the curve of the glass. You just put these in the track and close the window until it holds it in place.

Why do you need to worry about ventilation? Vehicles aren't airtight.

Reactions: Sparksalot

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Why do you need to worry about ventilation? Vehicles aren't airtight.
Cars aren't 100% airtight, but with the windows up and the vehicle not moving there's not a lot of air transfer. On my 4Runner the only significant openings would be the HVAC inlet from the cowl (if it's not on recirc mode) and the pressure vent in the rear which has a flap so it flows out only. Other than that the rest of the truck is pretty well sealed to keep out water and dust.

The window vents allow for hot air to escape on warm days, and for moisture to escape when its cold to prevent condensation. I've used them for 10+ years in a variety of temperatures and they've made a significant difference in my experience.

A tent is more more porous than a vehicle, and it's standard for them to have various ventilation options for the same reasons.

trevorturtle

Rank 0

Contributor I

colorado
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
turtle
Cars aren't 100% airtight, but with the windows up and the vehicle not moving there's not a lot of air transfer. On my 4Runner the only significant openings would be the HVAC inlet from the cowl (if it's not on recirc mode) and the pressure vent in the rear which has a flap so it flows out only. Other than that the rest of the truck is pretty well sealed to keep out water and dust.

The window vents allow for hot air to escape on warm days, and for moisture to escape when its cold to prevent condensation. I've used them for 10+ years in a variety of temperatures and they've made a significant difference in my experience.

A tent is more more porous than a vehicle, and it's standard for them to have various ventilation options for the same reasons.
They seem like pretty big holes for ventilation, you don't notice a lot of heat loss when it's cold?

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

This is more or less what I have for my truck. They work for the rear windows in most vehicles pretty well. Mine are a little more complex but you can make them with a hole saw just fine.

Attachments

Retinens803

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
CJC
Last Name
CJC
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BMJ

This is more or less what I have for my truck. They work for the rear windows in most vehicles pretty well. Mine are a little more complex but you can make them with a hole saw just fine.
If you have the time making a DIY for those peoples that are intrigued but have no idea how to get started. They look professional from the pics.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

View attachment 152292

View attachment 152293
Yes, both are excellent tips. Thanks for getting this thread through to me, its my first in 9 day's, yippieeee.

Reactions: M Rose

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
View attachment 152294
Cheap 5$ Solar motion light. Glue on a few magnets on and you have protection around your vehicle at night from animals or meth addicts.
Wow, this is really clever. I like it because your not using up your battery reserves.