louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
How much ketchup, mustard, mayo, hot sauce, jelly, honey etc. do you actually use on a trip? Collect condiment packets instead of packing bottles and jars. We sort them into snack baggies then store those in a soft zippered case. They don't need to be refrigerated so we keep them in our pantry tote which frees up cooler space for more important items, like larger steaks or beer lol! Or maybe you can now downsize your cooler for space and weight savings.

View attachment 203969 View attachment 203970
thats why we visit the "packet drawer" before heading out on a trip....
if the packet is puffed out or has rust on it, taste it first before using

1626034280382.png

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Stadium cushions aka Bleacher cushions - I keep a few of these in the truck, they are great for wet benches, wet chairs, hard picnic table benches, sitting on the ground if no chairs are around. In addition, great to kneel on if you need to get on the ground and work on something, I've even used them to fan a fire to get it going, padding between to items that were clanking around when I drove...

1649885192444.png

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

One of our favorite pieces of gear are the small rolls of velcro strip that we can cut to size. Since we move between vehicles we have not invested in fancy mounts and such so we use this velcro to “mount” all sorts of things. We strap our fishing poles to the roll bar, ditto our GMRS radio. It is a great cord wrap and all around handy item .

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
this is a tip, it's not really cheap but it out performs lighting sources many times more expensive. Outfitting Hella DRIVING light housings with HID systems. There are a couple of keys to do this. You cannot use the round FF version of the lights and get a good beam pattern. You need to use DRIVING fluted housings. then, for best "punch" get 4300k 55w HID kits. The results are lights that punch way above their weight and price point. I swear by them and I have parked my rigs with this setup next to people with rigid/brand x/light bars etc and my lights will drive down the road way farther than the LED. Give it a shot. This trick does work in the FF75 driving housings as well if size is a concern, as well.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Differential swap without a forklift or friends to help out? just did a rear diff makover using a wheelbarrow as the workbench. Even better I put a strap on the diff and tilted the wheelbarrow, and lowered the diff onto a tire dolly. Lowered the one being removed onto a second dolly. Wheeled it out and wheeled in the replacement. Then a floor jack from there. Not young anymore, this worked like a champ and at no point had to lift anything too heavy by myself. So the tip is a pair of cheap tire dollys from Harbor Freight (borrowed from friend) made the diff swap a one man job no problem!

wheel barrow.png Rear diff ready.png

Reactions: Shahn and M Rose

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I’ll go first:
Frisbees- they make great paper plate holders to keep the wind from blowing your paper plates around, they are also excellent plates in them selves, can also be used as a shallow bowl for stews and chili, throw leftovers on one and wrap tinfoil around it to keep the food from getting eaten by squirrels, and lastly they can be used to play games like frisbee golf or 500.

Now it’s your turn. Post your cheap trick or tip.
Also dog food and dog water.

• Love
Reactions: Shahn and M Rose

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Does it stay tight? I have yet to have a lace that keeps tight throughout a hike. No double knot stuff either. ha ha. I use these little buggers now for laces in what they can fit.
laces
I always double knot. Prior to that, when crossing the laces, I cross them at the first boot hooks above instep. Then at the highest set of boot hooks, i double cross the laces then double knot. And I have used 5 50 for hiking boot laces. If I have super long laces, I cross, wrap around the ankle, and double cross and double knot at top

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Tool Maintenance:
1) Evapo-Rust works well to remove rust from neglected tools. Many options are out there, but Evapo-Rust works as well as any of the best, and is non-toxic. One less toxic chemical to have laying around the garage. Reusable for many soakings and can be disposed of down the drain.
2) Marine Grade Heat Shrink Tubing works far better than plasti-dip for tool handles in my experience. Marine Grade shrink tubing is thicker (than std shrink tubing) and has an adhesive inside that makes a very good bond with the handle. A great alternative that offers a much better grip feel.

View attachment 203791 View attachment 203792
Vinegar. Soak then in vinegar for a couple days.

Reactions: Shahn

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Nalgene water bottles:

Freeze them after filling to 750 ml and you could have ice packs and cold water all day

Pour in hot water and place in sleeping bag 10 minutes before sleep on a cold night

Hold tyvek maps down

If you ever crack a few, string them up as light casings for party lights

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

Dryer sheets in your clothes storage and dirty laundry bag to keep things smelling fresh during long outings.

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

They attract bugs, never heard of bears though… bears I have encountered didn’t like human smells.
agree they attract all kinds of bugs. but never heard of bear. though I live an a fairly mild bear area. ( only black bears )
Odds of bear encounters are 1 in 2 million. . . I'll chance it to be sure my travel bag doesn't smell like a high-school gym locker. I haven't noticed it attracting bugs, but then again, bugs are to be expected during outdoor adventures. . . comfort is only an illusion, but stinky socks and underwear are reality.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Odds of bear encounters are 1 in 2 million. . . I'll chance it to be sure my travel bag doesn't smell like a high-school gym locker. I haven't noticed it attracting bugs, but then again, bugs are to be expected during outdoor adventures. . . comfort is only an illusion, but stinky socks and underwear are reality.
agreed that bugs are to be expected in the outdoors, and socks stink like hell lol. but your odds of a bear encounter for any reason are much higher than 1 in 2 million. I usually see at least a few bear a year without trying, and see a few campsites torn apart, vehicles damaged.... it just depends how hungry they are. We even had one break into 3 different houses when I was a kid before my grandfather shot it in his basement.
long story short, I'm not saying fear bears, but they should be in the back of your head when camping because they are nearly as likely to be close by as a racoon in some spots.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Dryer sheets in your clothes storage and dirty laundry bag to keep things smelling fresh during long outings.
I do this. Recently, though, I've read that these scents could attract bears. What to do
You never realize how strong the smell of scented dryer sheets are until you’ve been backpacking for several days and then meet someone on the trail in freshly laundered clothes. You can smell them at a surprising distance. I switched to “free and clear” detergent and dryer sheets to lessen the chance of attracting bears. Flowery, sweet smells are likely more appealing to bears than stinky socks. Store dirty clothes in a mesh bag that you can hang outside at camp, then stash it in your vehicle/closed bin at night.