Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Wow lots of good stuff...

I'll throw down on "para-cord" or "5-50 cord"
I have personally used 5-50 cord for a wide range of things over the years
- hoisted an engine( 2.0 4cyl) out of my car
- towed a car for bout 10 miles through back roads ( about 5 loops worth @ 8' between rigs)
- tied down a ridiculous amount of things without ever losing a load or gaining slack
Etc, etc
It's relatively inexpensive for the footage you get, the real deal 5-50 cord also has several strands of smaller cords inside and can be undone to go even smaller.
Camping, rec, survival, emergency, your imagination is small list of uses.
AND it's light weight and tough as nails, but it is prone to melting as a down side.
I use 5 50 cord for shoe laces too. It's basically indestructible in that application.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Does it stay tight? I have yet to have a lace that keeps tight throughout a hike. No double knot stuff either. ha ha. I use these little buggers now for laces in what they can fit.
laces
Double knots are needed. Or if the tails from the knot are long enough you can tuck them into the top of your boot and they will stay tied.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

The headliner cargo nets caught my eye. Great idea for keeping jackets, pillows, fishing rods, or whatever light stuff from getting buried in the car. A great grab and go and use of dead space.
A popular vendor makes good stuff, and even better if they have one to exact fit your vehicle. But, I am too cheap to pay the price ($$$.$$) to make my best guess at a universal one to fit my not as popular rig.
I found a UTV cargo net for 29.99 on Amazon, and a pair of D ring swivels at the local hardwre store and improvised on the cheap. Actual net dimensions are 24.5 inches x 26.5 inches. Great for small to mid size rigs. Rear is mounted to factory cargo hooks with draw tight buckles, and front is hard tied to the D rings mounted where the factory coat hanger hooks were.
Easily reversible if I want to remove it. Sits high and tight, I do not see it in the rear view mirror.

cargo net.JPG

Cargo net installed.jpg

Cargo net fishing pole.jpg

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
Here are a couple easy ones:

1) How many times do you end up collecting firewood, or stopping for groceries, or have to take stuff in/out of the vehicle...but you don't have enough arms?

Go to IKEA and buy some of those blue tarp-material bags-they sell them for like a $1....stuff 2 in the vehicle. Bam! now you can carry firewood, or boxes of stuff...or the dirty clothes. Grab one when you leave the vehicle at a resupply point - you'll be able to carry a ton of stuff back to the vehicle. And...it takes up very little space.

2) Go to a kitchen supply store like Bed Bath & Beyond....or an auto supply place.... buy a cheap plastic funnel...better yet, buy two or three. Next time you have to transfer powdered materials like dry milk, sugar, flour from a big container to one you can take on a trip, easy cheesy! Also holds true for liquids like cooking oils.

3) I love both Country Time Lemonade and Ovaltine - both for the taste and for the handy containers they come in. For Ovaltine, buy the plastic jar, not the cardboard one. Take these powders on your trips and when you're finished you can use the containers for sugar, powdered milk, pancake mix, whatever. The containers take Sharpie very well, so they are easily labeled/relabeled.

4) I keep my camp kitchen in two separate containers - one is for the stove, fuels, utensils, and spices and the other is for cooking ingredients. This way, I can pull out quick cook foods and snacks without digging through the cookware. It is also an easy visual way of determining if you are running low on supplies.

Hope these are helpful to you all....

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I do a lot of beach camping and it is devastating to the interior...sand everywhere.

I've found that vacuums don't do the job well...it's much better to use A LEAF BLOWER.
I can confirm this. When it's time to clean after being off-road I'll open all the doors and use my Master Blaster blower to blow all of the dust out before I vacuum. Works really well and saves time.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Cheap cooler dividers. Expanded PVC from Amazon, trim to fit.
Do you get different temperatures in each section ? Does the one on the left keep things frozen ?
Just made them so I don't know yet. I did drill a bunch of holes on the bottom and may do the same all over. Just hoping it keeps stuff upright, separated, and easier to find. Most coolers have slots for dividers, and if you find them actually for sale, the price is out of wack for what it is.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Just made them so I don't know yet. I did drill a bunch of holes on the bottom and may do the same all over. Just hoping it keeps stuff upright, separated, and easier to find. Most coolers have slots for dividers, and if you find them actually for sale, the price is out of wack for what it is.
I like the idea of insulated separators. Mine didn't come with anything except a basket. It's a 62 qt that I go awhile back and only looked inside once. The next day I was in the hospital for over 4 weeks. The kids put it in the store room and I havent dragged it out to really get a good look since. I think the basket had a divider but not sure. Still working and collecting my goodies for some soon to come camping.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
In my freezer, I keep a bucket of clean, frozen water bottles. Any time I need ice for cut bait during a fishing trip, or when I go on a day trip, I can toss a few bottles into my bait cooler, or day cooler and I never have to buy ice to keep my bait or beverages cold. Before any camping trip, if you plan to bring a case of bottled water, freeze a bunch of them a few days before and use them in your cooler. This saves space and a little money on ice if you plan to be out in the woods for a day or two.

Last edited:

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I like the idea of insulated separators. Mine didn't come with anything except a basket. It's a 62 qt that I got it awhile back and only looked inside once. The next day I was in the hospital for over 4 weeks. The kids put it in the store room and I havent dragged it out to really get a good look since. I think the basket had a divider but not sure. Still working and collecting my goodies for some soon to come camping.
I bought 1/4 inch thick, it can be had in 1/2 inch, I'd suspect that would insulate nicely.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Tool Maintenance:
1) Evapo-Rust works well to remove rust from neglected tools. Many options are out there, but Evapo-Rust works as well as any of the best, and is non-toxic. One less toxic chemical to have laying around the garage. Reusable for many soakings and can be disposed of down the drain.
2) Marine Grade Heat Shrink Tubing works far better than plasti-dip for tool handles in my experience. Marine Grade shrink tubing is thicker (than std shrink tubing) and has an adhesive inside that makes a very good bond with the handle. A great alternative that offers a much better grip feel.

Evapo Rust.jpg evapo rust 2.jpg

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have one large roll of Gorilla Tape, 2.88" x 30yd, and a 6 pack of smaller rolls 1" x 10yd. I keep the smaller rolls--very handy in the 1" width--in day packs for canoe and bike, etc.

The guy that started Gorilla Glue Adhesives is a neighbor of one of my cousins. It's been interesting to watch the company grow and branch out over the last 20 yrs.

Gorilla Tape; the Adventurer's Duct Tape!

Roam Bearded

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Ogden, Utah 84403, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Cramer
Member #

How much ketchup, mustard, mayo, hot sauce, jelly, honey etc. do you actually use on a trip? Collect condiment packets instead of packing bottles and jars. We sort them into snack baggies then store those in a soft zippered case. They don't need to be refrigerated so we keep them in our pantry tote which frees up cooler space for more important items, like larger steaks or beer lol! Or maybe you can now downsize your cooler for space and weight savings.

PXL_20210711_185344190.jpg PXL_20210711_185511058.jpg

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
Top shelf vodka is cheaper than most middle shelf whiskey and mixes with almost anything , so if you need a campsite drink you can mix at home and bring for your journeys you can’t go wrong with a potato vodka . I like mixing mine with 100% cranberry juice with no sugar , makes you sip and enjoy it .
Cheap vodka is cheaper than top shelf vodka and the major difference is filtration. Buy a bottle of the cheapest vodka you can find and run it through a Brita filter five or six times and give it a taste.

Reactions: Shahn