Camp Site Tips and Tricks.

• HTML tutorial

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I've learned since that I need to have medium-sized kindling to make it really effective and not empty the butane cannister. I used to try and start up large blocks of wood which didn't usually work well.

Sometimes, if I didn't want to whip the Snow Peak out, I'd use those 14g Esbit fuel tablets. They burn long enough to get medium-sized kindling going pretty well.
I guess i need to clarify, what i meant by hard is, not to wake up the whole campground for fear of a jet landing on top of them. :D

Reactions: RiverCityDave

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

I'll add one (hope I didn't miss it somewhere). One thing I learned the hard way always moat my campsite. On one of my first camping trips as a scout I wasn't taught this valuable lesson and woke up to water everywhere. I started digging moats around my campsite from that day forward and mostly would get laughed at saying it was a waste of time. I was usually the one laughing when I was waking up dry.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I did something similar just last week. I used a plastic water bottle (aquafina or similar), squeezed it, then sucked the eggs through the funnel into it. Once all the eggs were in the bottle I capped it and shook it. Scrambled eggs in a very sturdy non-spillable container.

EDIT: fast forward to 4:50 for the egg tip. I do also vacuum seal my meat which is great!
I learned the water bottle method from Ronnie Dahl on YouTube! Such a great idea!

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I'll add one (hope I didn't miss it somewhere). One thing I learned the hard way always moat my campsite. On one of my first camping trips as a scout I wasn't taught this valuable lesson and woke up to water everywhere. I started digging moats around my campsite from that day forward and mostly would get laughed at saying it was a waste of time. I was usually the one laughing when I was waking up dry.
That is actually frowned upon nowadays, and I think it has been removed from the scout manuals, if I remember right. They taught us that in the Army too, and it works great. Especially when you're using shelter halves without floors! To follow Tread Lightly and Leave no Trace principles you should just pay attention to the landscape around your camp site and choose a spot that will not funnel or collect water during a storm.

That said, I never thought a small trench would really cause damage, especially since you will cover it back up when leaving.. I mean, there is always going to be 'some' trace.

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

That is actually frowned upon nowadays, and I think it has been removed from the scout manuals, if I remember right. They taught us that in the Army too, and it works great. Especially when you're using shelter halves without floors! To follow Tread Lightly and Leave no Trace principles you should just pay attention to the landscape around your camp site and choose a spot that will not funnel or collect water during a storm.

That said, I never thought a small trench would really cause damage, especially since you will cover it back up when leaving.. I mean, there is always going to be 'some' trace.
Interesting. I had not heard that.

I totally understand the leave no trace and try to live by it. I always fill moats back up as I would hate to trip over something like that. I will look into this more and make sure it's allowed.

Thank you for the heads up @Chili

Reactions: Mike G and Craig M

Smiley52

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Melbourne, Florida
Member #

I don't have any permanent light solutions on the vehicle yet, but for now, and just for extra light in the future, I saw these lights on a youtube video and picked up a couple, and they ended up working out great. They're solar powered, so I just leave them on the dash during the day, and put them up at night. One charge can run the light on the low setting for 18 hours, the high setting for about 8-12 his.

squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones
The Luci lights are great. I have a warm tint frosted one. To stay on topic... I keep my sleeping bag, tent, cooking gear packed in my backpack all the time. It is easy to get on the road whether I am just sleeping over at my sons or actually camping.

Trioxine fuel bars- These are military surplus firestarters. Flat light and easy to keep a few in previously mentioned backpack. They burst into flame with any spark and burn long enough to get wet (small diameter) wood started. Be advised that they are toxic.

Last edited:

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

The Luci lights are great. I have a warm tint frosted one. To stay on topic... I keep my sleeping bag, tent, cooking gear packed in my backpack all the time. It is easy to get on the road whether I am just sleeping over at my sons or actually camping.

Trioxine fuel bars- These are military surplus firestarters. Flat light and easy to keep a few in previously mentioned backpack. They burst into flame with any spark and burn long enough to get wet (small diameter) wood started. Be advised that they are toxic.

A possible bright idea about 9$IMG_1382.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

OZ Tents but they are pricey. Largest is well north of $1,000. Great tents though.
Oz Tents seem to be a bit heavy. A good, lightweight, camping tent can be set up in only a few minutes once you get used to it. They pack smaller and weigh much less than an Oz Tent. I also like the mesh-screen tents because it feels a bit more like sleeping outside.

Infidel439

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Virginia
I worry about this every time I camp, but with the exception of certain obvious high-value items (any electronics, guns if I've brought them of course), I've always left my camp set during day excursions. It's a gamble, I guess, but I've yet to have anything stolen. I usually camp in the same spot for multiple days, so re-packing daily isn't really an option.

That said, one of the reasons to have a relatively fast/light setup is so you can pack and go without hassle. I dunno, like I said, I worry about it every time...
If your worried about theft maybe you should invest in GPS Key Fobs so items can be tracked by you or the police. I would not confront someone without the police or other third party present even with the tracker and tracking modules. Just better to have a independent third party on your side.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

If your worried about theft maybe you should invest in GPS Key Fobs so items can be tracked by you or the police. I would not confront someone without the police or other third party present even with the tracker and tracking modules. Just better to have a independent third party on your side.
I guess I should clarify that I'm not THAT worried about it. If I take a hike or daytrip from my site, I think, "boy, I hope nobody steals my shit", and then I get on with my day.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

It's nice to have a convenient place to store items you want easy access to getting into or out of the tent (flip flop, toiletries, etc.) so I picked up a couple of "closet organizers" that were perfect for the job. I suspended an aluminum flag pole I had sitting in the garage under the tent with a couple of wire ties and hung the organizers where they were easy to get to.

IMG_2329.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG

Last edited:

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I just found these refillable 1lb propane canisters from the Sports Basement in the Bay Area. Each one is $12.00 and just for $2.00, you can return the empty canisters for a full one. But wait, theirs more! If you become a Basementeer, (sports basement member) you will get free propane refills for life. The membership is a one time fee of $25.00, but the free propane will pay for itself in no time. Plus , you get 10% off every purchase. They also sell a refill kit and you can refill the empty canisters at home. But the best part about this deal is you never have to throw out those one time use green canisters again.

https://shop.sportsbasement.com/products/filled-new-canister-16-4-oz?variant=34617973840

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
I never really thought about how great baby wipes were for camping until I started taking my son camping when he was still in diapers. They're great for wiping stuff off, cleaning hands, and "strategic cleaning" if showers aren't available. Now I try to always have some in my truck and in my camping trailer...I mean expedition trailer. :)

I keep a couple of the $1 solar yard lights from Wal-Mart on hand also to put around the site if necessary.

One of my personal "most important tips" is to always have high quality sharp knives when camping. I have three different esee's and absolutely love them.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I never really thought about how great baby wipes were for camping until I started taking my son camping when he was still in diapers. They're great for wiping stuff off, cleaning hands, and "strategic cleaning" if showers aren't available. Now I try to always have some in my truck and in my camping trailer...I mean expedition trailer. :).
You quickly learn to love baby wipes in the Army.