Hastings, MN, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZAU
The item I use the most are these little magnetic flashlights. I have probably a 6-8, though the kids usually have a few. They’re “2-in-1” so you can change the beam pattern, they’re magnetic, and they have a hook that’s super handy. I hang them in the tent (not overly bright, just enough), under the tent, on the awning, etc. I’m usually in/out of the RTT a few times a night with young kids and these are perfect to pop on/off. I couldn’t find the exact ones I have but I think they came from tractor supply ($2-3 ea), they look like below.

I did just purchase these rechargeable lights - going to give those whirl, try and use less batteries.

I also second the door mat. I also purchased a 6x8 plastic straw mat to put under our 270 awning (haven’t been able to use it yet). Anxious to try that but hope it reduces debris in the annex and trailer, and maybe some extra comfort for bare feet (weather dependent).

Lots of great ideas here!
Harbor freight freebie lights (like the left photo) are great to stash away all over. Useful for up close work. I have a different rechargeable light similar to the right photo and I love it. The articulation and magnetic base make it incredibly useful.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Milk/water gallon jugs can be great to use as tie down weights. Cut a big hole in the top but leave the handle to tie off to. It is useful for sandy or rocky soils where traditional spikes won't work.
Edit: they can be dumped and collapsed for lightweight travel
I hear they will also keep stray cats out of your camp.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I carry an old plastic jar{peanut butter} with 8"lag screws and washers to use as tent stakes along with a battery operated drill. These work great in not only rocky soil but in sandy conditions as well. I have not had one pull out even in high winds. Easy to put in and out without having to swing a hammer.

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I carry an old plastic jar{peanut butter} with 8"lag screws and washers to use as tent stakes along with a battery operated drill. These work great in not only rocky soil but in sandy conditions as well. I have not had one pull out even in high winds. Easy to put in and out without having to swing a hammer.
This is great! We have a lot of caliche around here (and further west) and it's sometimes pretty difficult to drive in tent pegs. I'm thinking some lags with fender washers would be the answer to bending/breaking stakes.
Thanks

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

This is great! We have a lot of caliche around here (and further west) and it's sometimes pretty difficult to drive in tent pegs. I'm thinking some lags with fender washers would be the answer to bending/breaking stakes.
Thanks
I came up with idea after many bad words, driving stakes in Colorado. It really works well. Hope you find it helpful. And Yes, lags, but I just use size appropriate washers. I think the big fender washers have a chance of cutting the rope, but I have not tried them.

Reactions: Mike G

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Been using a
Plano Tackle Stowaways with Adjustable Dividers for my kitchen utensils/accessories. Works pretty good for what I have
F68BCC3A-6E7D-4669-9E06-FD5A3FFDC659.jpeg

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
For washing clothes while overlanding we use a medium sized wide-necked barrel as many people know from paddling since years. Simply put the laundry, water and detergent in and let it rock through on the trails during the day. Once at the camp or even earlier the laundry is ready to dry. The drum can also be used to collect dirty laundry and I store the laundry detergent in it while the barrel is not in use.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

For those warm nights that you need to keep your moonroof and windows open for ventilation, I use The Skeeter Beater. They are custom cut magnetic screens made for your vehicle. they work really good. a good investment if your gal or kids wont go because of the bugs. Heres the link:;
The Skeeter Beater - Car, SUV, RV Window Bug Screen
I contacted them to see if they'll do WJ-specific ones. I already have some generic ones for the back doors that slide down over the whole upper door/window. If Skeeter Beater won't do a specific one for the WJ I'll just get one that should cover the whole sunroof for that.

Great idea, thanks!

-TJ

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Sometimes when hanging a food bag from a tree the hardest part seems to be getting the rope up over the branch. I put a lacrosse ball in a sock and tie the rope to the sock. I can usually throw the ball over a branch on the first or second try. A baseball is a bit lighter but would probably work too. Dogs also like to play fetch with it.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX

T-88

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

CORONA
First Name
VINCENT
Last Name
T-88
Member #

I make my own fire starters out of cotton rounds, used for make up. Melt some wax and dip the rounds leaving an undipped edge for lighting. Great and easy for small to medium kindleing.

View attachment 170385View attachment 170387View attachment 170388View attachment 170389
I use cotton balls, but rub them with vaseline and keep them in a pill bottle. Fluff them up and they burn great!
I SAVE THE LINT FROM THE DRYER-MAKE LINT BALLS. WORKS WELL!

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I carry a telescoping boat hook to assist with pulling stuff out of the bed of the truck and open and close the RTT. Thought I had lost it for a minute yesterday and was already planning to get a new one! I have another in my boat also. They do have sales for about 25% off occasionally.

Reactions: Mike G