Camp Site Tips and Tricks.

• HTML tutorial

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I don't like using the prepackaged wipes because they seem to leave a residue which makes my skin somewhat sticky. I haven't used them for years just for that reason. Then recently I figured out I can use the wipes to get most of the muck and dirt off, then use a wet / damp towel to wipe off the residue the wet wipes left behind. GENIUS! Ha! I can still get clean while still conserving what little water I might have.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
It's nice to have a convenient place to store items you want easy access to getting into or out of the tent (flip flop, toiletries, etc.) so I picked up a couple of "closet organizers" that were perfect for the job. I suspended an aluminum flag pole I had sitting in the garage under the tent with a couple of wire ties and hung the organizers where they were easy to get to.

View attachment 29524

View attachment 29525
I LOVE this, My wife will thank you.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
We bug the megapack of baby wipes from costco. I almost cant live without it when we are out camping. I hate dirty hands on the steering wheel. Plus its a real good substitute got a real shower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TerryD

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

Came across these at Costco...
View attachment 8680
They fit perfect on the shelf in the back of the Jeep. Decided they would ride better if each one was attached to the one underneath. Tried every glue I own, with no luck.
View attachment 8681
Finally just bolted them together...
View attachment 8682
Wide enough for plates...
View attachment 8683
Tall enough for spices...
View attachment 8684
Most importantly, the chef loves it :-)
OMGosh- best idea ever! Love it!

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I really like my tailgaters for organizing everything. I use one for cooking stuff and one for misc camping stuff like bug spray, flashlights, etc... I got them on amazon for about $30 ea. I hang them on the side of my truck we set up and roll them up and toss them in a plastic tote when we leave.
Also, I couldn't imagine spending $250 on a skottle when I could make one out of a free used plow disc. It took about 45 min and about $15 since I didn't have the right size box tubing for the legs or the thumb screws to adjust the burner height and to hold the legs on. I happened to already have the burner so that saved me $20. I use it all the time and it works great. I built a wood box with a lid for it so I can stack stuff on it. It hauls the disc, the burner and a couple propane bottles in it and is much less awkward to store and haul around.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Railman

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Manhattan Il
Member #

Gel wax cotton ball Fire starter is essential for camp fire and also an essential in any emergency kit. I just used them 8 days in a row on recent Canada Fishing trip to get the wood stove lit, and have them in all my emergency kits now. They are not greasy like the Vaseline/cotton ball combo I have use in the past. These things are awesome. They burn for 7-10 min. Catch easy from a single strike of a fire steel. Everyone I show them to has asked me for some and how to make them. Check out this video on how to make them.

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az

I really like my tailgaters for organizing everything. I use one for cooking stuff and one for misc camping stuff like bug spray, flashlights, etc... I got them on amazon for about $30 ea. I hang them on the side of my truck we set up and roll them up and toss them in a plastic tote when we leave.
Also, I couldn't imagine spending $250 on a skottle when I could make one out of a free used plow disc. It took about 45 min and about $15 since I didn't have the right size box tubing for the legs or the thumb screws to adjust the burner height and to hold the legs on. I happened to already have the burner so that saved me $20. I use it all the time and it works great. I built a wood box with a lid for it so I can stack stuff on it. It hauls the disc, the burner and a couple propane bottles in it and is much less awkward to store and haul around.

Did the plow disc have a hole in the center, if so, how did you handle that ? I think we need a build thread !

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Did the plow disc have a hole in the center, if so, how did you handle that ? I think we need a build thread !
Yes it had a square hole, I just cut a piece of flat stock about the same thickness and zapped it in from both sides and ground it flat. I will get some more detailed pictures together, it's an extremely cheap and simple and useful project.

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

We use the snap together foam tiles for the flooring in our tents. No more rocks in your feet or knees. Just nice soft floor. I will never go back to not having them. We got ours at costco they are in 2square foot panels.

This is a great idea! Definitely going to go pick some up!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using OB Talk mobile app

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

Inside your tent or under it? Seems like it could pull double duty protecting your tent floor as well. Good idea, thanks.

We use a heavy duty tarp under the tent and the tiles inside. It helps keep them clean and last longer. Her have had our tiles for 5 years now and they are still going strong. Same thing with the tarp.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
We camp near water typically and bring a water filtration system so we don't have to pack in piles and piles of water. For trips that are longer than 2 days this is vital, especially for a family of 4.

I use the Katadyn Vario. It's the only one I've used so I don't have much to compare it to... but it seems to work well.
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/45507/katadyn-vario-microfilter-water-filter

View attachment 3792
I like this! looks easy to use and makes plenty of water.

Reactions: Mike G

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I found a great Pizza Stone for my Coleman Camp Oven. Technically it's a Ceramic Griddle but it would work great as a Pizza Stone. It should also help to distribute the heat when placed at the bottom of the oven. Plus, it's a Griddle so it's a dual purpose item. [emoji2]

You can purchase them at Home Depot for $20.00 My brother in law ordered one on Amazon for $30.00 and it arrived broken. Try to pick one up at a store if you can. That way you don't have to deal with returning a broken Griddle. IMG_2029.jpegIMG_2028.jpegIMG_2031.jpegIMG_2032.jpegIMG_2035.jpeg

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

For anyone that camps during winter, try using the Electronic Arc Lighters. They work way better then the Butane lighters in the cold.
The Arc Lighters also work in the wind and rain.
IMG_2220.PNG