Camp Site Tips and Tricks.

• HTML tutorial

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I always have along a little hand pump garden sprayer. It has 1000 and 1 uses and is the equivalent to running water as far as I am concerned. really helps when washing dishes or your hands and face. Also aids putting out the campfire for the night or when packing up camp. You can find them anywhere, usually for under $10. This one is dedicated to camping and is NOT used for any other fluids/uses.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
If you sleep in your vehicle or on top you should mount some levels somewhere to easily find a level surface to sleep. If it is just not possible to level out, I find it easier to shave some dirt to lower one corner of the truck instead of having to stack rocks or bring those RV step things. If you are on a solid surface that would be the on,y exception.
View attachment 5422
Also, If you're in the northern hemisphere and you plan to use an awning you will get maximum shade if you park with the awning side of your vehicle facing north.
Good idea. Nothing worst than thinking your level but not, then sleeping with your head lower than your feet.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I always have along a little hand pump garden sprayer. It has 1000 and 1 uses and is the equivalent to running water as far as I am concerned. really helps when washing dishes or your hands and face. Also aids putting out the campfire for the night or when packing up camp. You can find them anywhere, usually for under $10. This one is dedicated to camping and is NOT used for any other fluids/uses.

Great Idea!

Okierover

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newcastle, OK, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I feel like it takes too long to pack and unpack for each stop. The tents we use are part of the trouble. I have to sleep on a cot due to my back issues. Anyone know of a quick to setup and takedown tent that fits a cot?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I feel like it takes too long to pack and unpack for each stop. The tents we use are part of the trouble. I have to sleep on a cot due to my back issues. Anyone know of a quick to setup and takedown tent that fits a cot?
OZ Tents but they are pricey. Largest is well north of $1,000. Great tents though.

Reactions: Wallygator

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

My wife and I use a 4 man kelty and we both sleep on cots. the cots are snug, but we have a good space between and with just one cot, there is tons of room inside.

https://kelty.com/acadia-4/

Reactions: Wallygator

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

If you plan on hanging out in camp, pack a hammock. They frequently are discounted at Woot! and are more comfortable than a camp chair. They also pack up into a tiny pouch and weigh next to nothing. You can also get bug nets for them if you are going to be in places with biting flies or mosquitos. With overlanding, you only need one point to hang from, the other side can attach to your rig (or convince a friend to let you hang between your rigs).

Wet wipes and waterless pumice hand cleaner from the auto parts store (I get the one with the scrub brush attached to the bottle, it fits in my door pouch). Nothing will get your hands feeling cleaner before a meal.

I installed red LEDs in my dome lights, if I have to open the doors at night to get something I don't kill my night vision.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

What about this: KampRite Double TentCot
In Australia they often pitch their swags on a stretcher (cot), this is the same idea but in one package.

Fakawi Tribe

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Fresno, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Aguirre
Member #

I use these lines for my dogs. I attach one end to my recovery point and the other on a tree. Use carabiners to connect their leash to the line. This gives them 100 feet to run and explore so I don't always have to keep an eye on them. Takes a quick glance down the line and you know what your pet is up to!
Great idea!

Okierover

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newcastle, OK, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Thanks so much for the ideas. My buddy and I talked about these tent cots. At 200$ (including rain fly and transport bag) I'll have to wait for Santa to bring me one.
When I go alone I just sleep in the back of the truck. I've even contemplated a trailer but think that is getting a bit carried away for the number of times I can go in a year right now.

Reactions: NV.Recon and Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Found this on the T4R forum. This window sock would be great for the people who sleep inside their vehicles. Lets the fresh air in and bugs out. (will also help vent out the bad air :tonguewink:)

View attachment 5465
I cut some screen door mesh to fit my rear window openings (+2" all the way around), and use little magnets to hold them in place.

Last edited:

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

For those warm nights that you need to keep your moonroof and windows open for ventilation, I use The Skeeter Beater. They are custom cut magnetic screens made for your vehicle. they work really good. a good investment if your gal or kids wont go because of the bugs. Heres the link:;
http://theskeeterbeater.com/

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

During the winter if you have warm water before going to sleep fill your nalgene and put it in your sleeping bag at your feet, it'll keep you warm as you fall asleep and when you wake up your body heat/sleeping bag will keep it from freezing.

If you don't have a fridge/cooler you can still have cool drinks if you have a sock, a breeze, water, and time. I use a boot sock so you can fold it so there is two or three layers, pour some water on it and hang/set it in a spot where there's a breeze. Just keep it damp for an hour or two and you'll have a relatively cold drink. Cans work the best, but it'll cool 12oz water bottles and nalgenes.

If you're going to be in the same spot for a couple days, use reflective tape, chem lights or something similar to mark hazards in case you get up for a midnight bathroom run and don't grab a light.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

During the winter if you have warm water before going to sleep fill your nalgene and put it in your sleeping bag at your feet, it'll keep you warm as you fall asleep and when you wake up your body heat/sleeping bag will keep it from freezing.
If you're up for it, you can also "create" warm water in the middle of the night, if you don't want to leave the comfort of your bag. Just make sure you label that particular water bottle appropriately, and make sure it's closed properly!

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

If you're up for it, you can also "create" warm water in the middle of the night, if you don't want to leave the comfort of your bag. Just make sure you label that particular water bottle appropriately, and make sure it's closed properly!
I think I'd file that one under only if it's raining, but that's because I've seen too many people grab the wrong bottle in the dark.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

For those warm nights that you need to keep your moonroof and windows open for ventilation, I use The Skeeter Beater. They are custom cut magnetic screens made for your vehicle. they work really good. a good investment if your gal or kids wont go because of the bugs. Heres the link:;
http://theskeeterbeater.com/
I love the name of it and that it comes in colors. I just bought a pair of window socks for the rear doors windows. I will have to buy a pair of these for the front windows.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Came across these at Costco...
IMG_4533.JPG
They fit perfect on the shelf in the back of the Jeep. Decided they would ride better if each one was attached to the one underneath. Tried every glue I own, with no luck.
IMG_4543.JPG
Finally just bolted them together...
IMG_4545.JPG
Wide enough for plates...
IMG_4548.JPG
Tall enough for spices...
IMG_4547.JPG
Most importantly, the chef loves it :-)

Last edited: