AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
This thing is simple and amazing. I have tried many other showers and this is my favorite. Amazing how much water you can save. I also use it to rinse off dishes.

Reactions: obchristo

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Testing hot water setup. Now to make or buy shower enclosure.
This is the exact type of water system I'll be building. I have a black Diamondback cover on the back of my truck that gets hot in the Florida sun. I'm going to find a water tank solution that I can mount on my Diamondback cover, make sure it is also black and that should heat up the water good on Sunny days when outside of Winter time. When it does get cold I plan to have a gas water heater on demand like yours. The only change I would recommend is put a Y on the water coming out of the pump so you can direct water one to the water heater and then another way for cold water, that's my plan. I have lots of ideas on how to improve my truck for Overlanding but most of them aren't free!

BTW, for you guys that use the wipe method of cleaning up in the wild check out the Dude Wipes, better wipes for the manly man LOL!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
BTW, here is a link to a pipe volume calculator for those of using PVC or other pipe for the water container. I have 63" of width on my Diamondback cover to use for a water tank and a 6" PVC pipe gives me 7.7 gallons of water, not bad.

Last edited:

derekjhunt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Middletown, CT
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1IRO
On my big trip last year (CT to WA and back), it was the first time I had done the trip without my wife - just my son and I. We sort of cowboy cleaned along the way and by the time we hit Montana on the way back, it was starting to show. We had showers and were generally clean, but the clothes were an equally annoying issue. I bought a WaterPort for my trips this summer and a scrubba bag. I was going to build a PVC setup, but I'm running out of room on my rig, so I needed something small.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

My lightweight system consists of a galvanized steel bucket, water heated with a campfire, and a diy 12V water pump, hose, and shower head
THIS I LOVE ^^^

So no need to carry water, fill the bucket in the stream, a fire will BOIL water pretty quick, a 12V pump is a hardware store item, likely $12. 00. and a few bucks for the hose & head.
All run off the cigarette? lighter,.
Best system yet !
Weighs 5# ??

Stores in the bucket.

Amazing !!!!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I figure out with my RTT Rack that I can have an 8' section of 4" PVC water solution that will hold 5.2 gallons of water which should do just fine. The nice thing about is I'll be able to fill it up at the house and pressurize it with a hand pump so no worries about needing power to make it work and no work to do once I arrive at the camp site!

Reactions: Big G

Overlanderic

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Shenton
Member #

Also most chain restaurants that serve ribs (Montanas is one that springs to mind) have wet wipes that are individually packaged...not eco-friendly but I keep a handful in the car just in case and they never dry out. Ask the server for a stack and sometimes they can hook you up. Trouble is you sometimes have to eat the food :P
Chick fil a

fixxervi6

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas, TX, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hornung
Not sure if it's been posted here or not but I use a Nemo Helio XL and a large jetboil. Nice hot shower for both me and my wife.

When I'm out on my own or with the guys going minimal I use shower wipes, they work surprisingly well.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Found at Roof Rack Shower for Outdoor Activities

5" PVC pipe (Im building a 5"d x 60"l = ~4 gallons)
1- 4" to 4" to 4" junction
2 - 4" PVC end caps
2 - Tubeless tire valve stems
1- Single outlet ball valve
1- 3" Pressure test cap
1- Hose sprayer
Length of garden hose
PVC primer
PVC use thread tape
Spray paint (Obviously the darker, the warmer the water can become)

I fill mine with a 10lb CO2 bottle to about 18lbs psi. Pipe should be rated to 100 psi but with the ball valve seat, I didnt go any higher.

Open 3" pressure test cap, fill with water to the bottom of the angled PVC. Replace cap, add CO2 to pressurize. Install hose/handle, open ball valve, squeeze handle and smell clean again!

Attachments

Flying fuzz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, WA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
C
Member #

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Over the past 40 years I've used everything you could imagine to take a warm shower while boondocking. Now that I'm using a RTT mounted on a small trailer or on the cap of my truck, I can step up my game a bit.
I built a solar charged "battery box" to run a "Pump Box" i built and use a Eccotemp 5L portable on demand propane hot water heater. As good as the shower in my house!

Attachments

zuccaro

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New Jersey
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Zuccaro
Member #

We use a simple bag shower placed on the roof all day to warm up.

Sonarman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North SF bay area
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Arietta
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KMA6AIU
Service Branch
US Submarine Force
Over the past 40 years I've used everything you could imagine to take a warm shower while boondocking. Now that I'm using a RTT mounted on a small trailer or on the cap of my truck, I can step up my game a bit.
I built a solar charged "battery box" to run a "Pump Box" i built and use a Eccotemp 5L portable on demand propane hot water heater. As good as the shower in my house!
What is the blue hose, is it Pex?

Sonarman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North SF bay area
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Arietta
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KMA6AIU
Service Branch
US Submarine Force
Worked a bit on hot water for shower. Put quick disconnects on hoses going to hot water heater and pump with long hose to draw after from Creek if needed. I used my wire clamping tool which I made to clamp 57B02985-2B58-4B85-A853-8C8DA87B460E.jpeg473CA6A3-53BC-45BE-AE6D-6C96EFDB141F.jpegA0D92F67-51DC-4071-BA9E-EEC154870C8C.jpeghose to connectors.

Reactions: Big G