Camp Shower (Merged)

• HTML tutorial

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I have a Zodi outback Extreme Self-Contained Portable Hot Shower | A complete System with convenient Stove | Zodi.com I've only used it a few times but it works great and doesn't take up a ton of room and the propane get it super hot it needed. The only thing I would change is the nozzle where the water comes out, I'd rather have something with a handle like on a kitchen sink.
When I first started using the Zodi I would let it run and adjust the flame to the temp that I wanted. Then one day I realized you can heat several gallons of water in any container in about 3 minutes on high, to the right temp and turn off the flame and just use the powered pump. Safer, no issues with running out of water with the flame on.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Been researching camp showers and after reading this entire thread, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with their products? Version 2 doesn’t seem to be out yet.

Joolca Hottap V2
A friend just bought one. They sure know how to spam my Facebook and Instagram feeds! I am not sure which version he bought. He wants to use it in conjunction with his trailer that has water but no hot water. Not sure when his will arrive. On paper they look ok but are also pricey!

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Compared to the camp chef one I see used in most Trailer set ups, it is pricier. But I was looking at in the sense of the nomad kit, with pump, sink, heater, hoses, etc ... the convenience of all in one is appealing for someone who daily drives his rig too.

Franky

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hawaii
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Daniels
Hey guys, as I get further into my build, I am realizing that some of the creature comforts of society would be nice to take out to the trail as I go on longer adventures. The biggest thing is a shower. Some days, whether its been raining and you're a bit chilly, had to dig the rig out of the mud and need to clean up, need to wash the dog, or just want to rinse off and get clean from the day-to-day filth we experience, this is something of a luxury that I wouldn't mind having around. Plus depending on how you route it, you could use the hot water to clean the dishes after a meal.

My question to everyone who has done this, or has plans to do so, how can it be done? The key for me is going to be lightweight, (fairly) low profile, and able to utilize any water source available (stream, lake, water left in the bottom of the cooler, ect).

The way I'm currently thinking is to use a dry pump (self priming) that will be pre-filtered, then have a UV filter for any bacteria and such somewhere in the line (would pre or post pump be better for this?). Then have it T off for a cold source and the other through a heat exchanger in the engine bay or even an in-line electric heater. At the shower head, an adjustable mixing valve to adjust the temp (I like warm showers, but my girl takes scalding ones). Obviously most of the hoses for the system will need to be removable so I'll need hose fittings somewhere in the path of travel, probably mounted to the bumpers.

I'm very interested to see what everyone has done!
Here is a little DIY project I did for my rig. follow the instructions on this article for a really nice solar camp shower https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/diy-car-top-solar-camp-shower

DIYTaco15

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Stewart
Member #

Here is a little DIY project I did for my rig. follow the instructions on this article for a really nice solar camp shower https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/diy-car-top-solar-camp-shower
I Just finished mine. Works great! Thinking about adding a really small air compressor to it for constant pressure. You will have to continually add air to it. Mine ran constant for 5 min and used 3.5 gal of water. My whole system can fit 4 .5 gal. I added a 90 at the end since mine is mounted under my tent.

Reactions: BearNorth

Joolca

Rank 0

Contributor I

Australia
First Name
Marisa
Last Name
Ferrari
Compared to the camp chef one I see used in most Trailer set ups, it is pricier. But I was looking at in the sense of the nomad kit, with pump, sink, heater, hoses, etc ... the convenience of all in one is appealing for someone who daily drives his rig too.
Noticed mention of the HOTTAP so thought I'd chime in. If you have any questions regarding our gear feel free to reach out.

@1Louder sorry about that, once you're hit with our ads it's hard to escape them. :)
@Jrodrigues1278 we just launched our gear in the US in May! If you're shopping around researching what suits your needs best and have questions feel free to reach out.

nitteo

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
First Name
C
Last Name
J
Member #

I am putting together a DIY shower and kitchen wash:

ATV Sprayer w 12v pump to connect to my dual battery system that I have in the rear:

changing the head to this:

and a heating element that ill connect to my portable generator

might add an water input system with a pump and filters later for drawing water from rivers/ watersource for longer stays.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

Noticed mention of the HOTTAP so thought I'd chime in. If you have any questions regarding our gear feel free to reach out.

@1Louder sorry about that, once you're hit with our ads it's hard to escape them. :)
@Jrodrigues1278 we just launched our gear in the US in May! If you're shopping around researching what suits your needs best and have questions feel free to reach out.
I like the kit and think for what you get the whole set up is well worth the price. The video is fantastic! Good stuff.

Reactions: Joolca

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I'm in the process of piecing together the final bits of what I need for the installation of an Eccotemp L5 system for my trailer. The vertical tube is part of a t-bar and rack system I built for the rear bumper for transporting my kayaks. When we arrive the kayaks come off and the t-bar gets moved to the side of the trailer and into a hitch receiver I mounted to the trailer frame. The heater is carried inside the trailer when travelling. I mounted a Shurfo pump inside the trailer and plumbed it with pex lines under the trailer. The propane line is plumbed to one of two 5 lb. propane tanks on the tongue. I use a 20 litre Scepter tank for the water supply. It works great and it's HOT!

Joolca

Rank 0

Contributor I

Australia
First Name
Marisa
Last Name
Ferrari
@Joolca what are the measurements of the sink and heater?
Here are the dimensions for the HOTTAP unit and a few more tech specs:
Height: 17.7 in
Width: 11.4 in
Depth: 6.7 in
Weight: 9.5 lbs
Gas hose Length: 6 ft
Shower Hose Length: 16 ft
Injector Size: 0.62mm

HOTTAP Sink:
Height: 11.8 in
Width: 27.2 in
Depth: 17.3 in
Weight: 21 lbs (with the Nomad kit packed in it)

Reactions: Jrodrigues1278

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Here are the dimensions for the HOTTAP unit and a few more tech specs:
Height: 17.7 in
Width: 11.4 in
Depth: 6.7 in
Weight: 9.5 lbs
Gas hose Length: 6 ft
Shower Hose Length: 16 ft
Injector Size: 0.62mm

HOTTAP Sink:
Height: 11.8 in
Width: 27.2 in
Depth: 17.3 in
Weight: 21 lbs (with the Nomad kit packed in it)
Thanks that sink a lot larger then I expected.

Reactions: Joolca

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
This thing is simple and amazing. I have tried many other showers and this is my favorite. Amazing how much water you can save. I also use it to rinse off dishes.

I have one of their prototypes that I love. I keep it in my DD for cleanups and after beach foot washings. It goes on trips for dish rinsing.

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
Not sure if it's been posted here or not but I use a Nemo Helio XL and a large jetboil. Nice hot shower for both me and my wife.

When I'm out on my own or with the guys going minimal I use shower wipes, they work surprisingly well.
I have an XL I use for showering and also for dish duty on larger group trips when I am not using the aquabot. When on Baja trips- I use an older regular Helio with warmed seawater and campsuds for the initial cleaning and the XL with fresh water for a final rinse.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
We have solved the shower issue in a relative inexpensive way. It is an outdoor shower and has 2 tanks of 9 gallons each in the location of the spare of the 80 series Land Cruiser. The tanks are made of 8" schedule 40 PVC pipes with caps. There is a pressure reducer from the air tank with a one way valve that pressurizes the tanks. The rear heater was removed from under the passenger seat and the plumbing was used to heat a heat exchanger. It heats up 9 gallons to 125F in 20 minutes when the engine is warm.

The water system looks like this...

IMG_9385.jpeg
The fittings are standard. The exception is the fitting on the bottom right of the pic. It is drilled and tapped so the pipe that goes up feeds the hot water from the pump and the outlet that goes to the left comes from the bottom of the tank to the pump and the shower. I was trying to drill as little number of holes as possible on the PVC.

IMG_9398.jpeg
IMG_9432.jpeg
IMG_9439.jpeg
They tanks support up to 140F. The frame for the tanks was welded from $15 worth of steel.

IMG_9456.jpeg
IMG_9393.jpeg
The circulating pump is a 12VDC, but the key is self priming and sustain 140F. The pump was inserted into a 4” PVC for protection, and mounted inside the rear bumper. It is controlled by a thermostat that costs $5 which is mounted middle right of the panel.

IMG_9392.jpeg
The Shower Head is available on Amazon, but requires fittings from West Marin. We mounted the shower head inside the rig by the rear right sliding window. Some cut the fender and mount it outside.

IMG_9266.jpeg
The Pressure Reducer is also available on Amazon.

IMG_9337.jpeg
The rear heater that resides under the passenger seat was removed, and the two pipes that connect to it were used to connect to the heat exchange unit. If I had to do it again, I would have used this unit which is more compact and will take 40 minutes to heat the water instead of 20 min, but we always have time. :)

F18EE5AA-ED06-4745-8592-33F2296B3967.JPG

ShyTRex

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Moscow Mills
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Rice
Member #

I hate to necro this thread but 'm currently brainstorming on a water system for my square drop. I recently came across a FB marketplace deal that I couldn't pass up and now I'm hoping to add a little bit of a solar warmed water system. I'm wanting to stay away from pressurized systems and do some sort of pump that I can power with 12v. I previously had a waterport and loved it for the first year then for whatever reason it stopped holding pressure and the hand pump quit working as well.

So I got a 7.5 foot long x 6 inch piece of PVC that already capped off on one end and 5 pieces of 5 foot the same diameter. When I bought it the guy had advertised it as suitable to pressurize and was planning to make a hot water shower out of it. In my excitement I didn't realize until I got home the pipe specifically says not to pressurize on the side... oops!

so all of that said I'm trying to figure out the best route to add a 12v pump to and use it like that! I'd just be using it for spraying the dog down, possibly a quick shower for my wife and girls. I already have a 15 gallon water tank in the galley of my square drop for dishes and such.

Suggestions?
ridicule?
pre-drawn plans you're wiling to share!

Attachments

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Did an upgrade on the water tanks. Round 17 gallons PVC to 25 gallons square stainless. Everything else stayed in place. Had to reroute the end of the exhaust a bit.

IMG_6796.JPGIMG_6802.JPGIMG_6832.JPGIMG_6833.JPG

Reactions: T4R13