Camp Shower (Merged)

• HTML tutorial

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Ultimately I'd like to get a Road Shower. For me, I'd prefer not to have anything permanently attached to my DD, and really the only requirement is decent temperatures for a good rinse off. A Road Shower looks like stone aged technology compared to some of the solutions out there with tankless water heaters but it's going to be a huge step up from a bucket and towel.

So I was also curious if anyone here camps in the winter, let's keep it mild and say 30s-40s F, and if so, what does the showering solution look like then?
I have added water warmed via fire/stove into my jerry cans to warm up the water for the wife when needed (she is really the reason I have all this, I can make do with wipes or just whatever because I am camping) so something you can put hot water in is an easy solution. Or you can go with a heat exchanger off the engine coolant, portable water heater etc. Still would be a damn quick shower I would think as there is no way to warm your showering station.

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I have added water warmed via fire/stove into my jerry cans to warm up the water for the wife when needed (she is really the reason I have all this, I can make do with wipes or just whatever because I am camping) so something you can put hot water in is an easy solution. Or you can go with a heat exchanger off the engine coolant, portable water heater etc. Still would be a damn quick shower I would think as there is no way to warm your showering station.
Yep! I'm that guy. I need to be clean before turning in. I'm not saying a hour-long shower with a bar of soap and shampoo. I just need to get the grime and dirt off of me. To that end, all I usually do is wipe down with a bucket and towel. I've always felt that if I'm clean, I'll keep my tent and sleep setup clean, and that means less work when I pack up and get home. Maybe that's the solution as you suggest, use a durable container and mix hot / cold water. Dunno anything about the heat exchanger but will research.

It doesn't get any simpler than some disposable (and burnable for that matter) moist wipes for shorter (week or less) trips.
I've tried the wipes. Certainly it gets the dirt off but it leaves a residue and it feel sticky after using them. I've only used one brand I picked up at REI, maybe there are better ones out there. But if I'm going to do that, I might as well use a damp towel with just water.

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

For washing my face and extremities, I don't mind using a wash cloth and some water. Fresh-n-easy.

That said, any washcloth that freshens the pits, cleans sensitive under bits, or sanitizes dark nether regions, is rightly considered toxic waste and will not come near my face again.

For cleaning foul and funky anatomical areas, disposable wipes are the the solution for me. Like mentioned above, I don't care for residue or even fragrances. I pick up the house brand, budget baby wipes at CVS. Unscented, no aloe, no nonsense. Cheap-n-easy!

Keepin' it clean, TR

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

The jerry's have a big enough mouth for me to get some water good and hot and mix it for a comfortable shower. Add the lid and a little air pressure and you are good to go. Also nice for doing any camp dishes when it is cold as hell out so your hands dont go numb. My camp pot does have pour spouts though so that helps, a funnel could be needed if you have a massive pot with no spouts.

The heat exchanger method was mentioned earlier in the thread, uses engine coolant cycling through one chamber, fresh water through the other to warm it up.

Username Not Found

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oceanside, CA
Member #

I've only used one brand I picked up at REI, maybe there are better ones out there.
I highly recommend regular flushable wet wipes.

You can get them almost anywhere that sells TP. I've been using these for years on backpacking trips. Works for original intended purposes as well as a quick water-less bath. And, at least as far as I know, the flushable wipes are biodegradable.

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I highly recommend regular flushable wet wipes.

You can get them almost anywhere that sells TP. I've been using these for years on backpacking trips. Works for original intended purposes as well as a quick water-less bath. And, at least as far as I know, the flushable wipes are biodegradable.
Are these pretty much like the Costco wipes? We use them around the house and take them when we're camping anyway. Thank you for the suggestion.

Reactions: OuterLimits

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

That said, any washcloth that freshens the pits, cleans sensitive under bits, or sanitizes dark nether regions, is rightly considered toxic waste and will not come near my face again.

For cleaning foul and funky anatomical areas, disposable wipes are the the solution for me. Like mentioned above, I don't care for residue or even fragrances. I pick up the house brand, budget baby wipes at CVS. Unscented, no aloe, no nonsense. Cheap-n-easy!

Keepin' it clean, TR
Totally agree on the funky areas and the use of a wash cloth. When cleaning those areas, I wring out the towel and don't let it directly touch those areas.
I wonder if those wipes are sold packed but dry. I've had some wipe packs dry out on me when left in the car, and all I do is pour in drinking water to get them moist again. Pretty sure I'm not far off from what the manufacturer uses (hopefully).

Reactions: OuterLimits

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
We've already posted our system, but one more comment -- the value of a proper shower is huge for us and if anyone stumbles on this thread with the thought "Bah! A Shower? It's CAMPING! Look at these softies with their showers and such. I bet they even have $400 teak shower mats in their rigs!", Allow me to comment on why I think a shower is critical and if not a shower, a proper way to get clean somehow. I would argue that if you define 'Overlanding' as vehicle dependent travel and exploration, having some kind of solution like those posted in this thread is not an option, it's a necessity.

• Ticks. You may not find them if you are just doing a quick skivvy change and wipe down of your pits (think of all the other warm crevasses a tick can call home!). You probably will find the little buggers in a full shower. You've got 72 hours before Lyme disease really has it's way with your system, so for us, a way to shower at least every 48 hours is critical -- hence the 'easy' part of whatever system we adopt. A system that takes too long to set up or too long to heat water to a bearable temp won't really work for us, as we'll get lazy and skip the showers and that opens us up to pest risks.
  • Abrasion. Sweat is full of salt. If you don't get a good rinse off every day or so, the sweat may dry and collect on your skin, and this is a major issue if you're not used to it (i.e. if you work in a climate controlled office, shower every day or two, etc.). This may be not a big deal if you are sitting the entire time in your car, but we like to mix it up and hike a bit. So let's say you've not showered in 3-4 days, and you embark on a hike. Before you know it, you've got a minor discomfort in uncomfortable areas at the halfway point of the hike -- chafing has begun. By the time you get back, you've got full-on rashes that sting like hell and REALLY ruin the next few hikes. On multi-day trips, this can also lead to infection. Speaking of...
  • Infection. I don't know about you folks but I'm always getting knicks, scrapes, and cuts -- really minor ones, especially on my hands -- as we clamber over terrain or pack up the tent or whatever. Blame my soft office hands if you like, but I'm betting I'm not the only one in those boots. These knicks and cuts are so small I may not even notice them. A regular shower means my hands and body are regularly getting soaped up, which means harmful, infection-causing bacteria is killed off and doesn't reach the point where my tiny cut becomes a major problem.
  • Being a good travel partner. No one wants to share a tent with someone who smells like a Sasquatch.
  • Hygiene. In general, getting a proper scrub with soap and water means you are less likely to contaminate your water, your eating utensils, etc. because you are clean and, in translation, everything you touch is more likely to be clean. That raw chicken contamination of your chuck box can grow to food poisoning for the whole group, which at best is a really annoying way to spend a camping trip and at worst can be life threatening.
  • Longevity of Gear. Your gear will usually stink to some degree at some point. You'll sweat into it, and the oils of your bodies naturally produce seep into every bit of fabric from your sleeping bags to your car seats. If you are dirty, this gets worse, but showering regularly can reduce the damage. The oils and moisture not only stinks, but can also trap small abrasive particles which can drastically increase wear and tear, especially on some more technical fabrics. If you keep it clean, you'll have to wash it less, too, which means it'll last longer. And some gear (esp. insulating layers or fabrics like gore-tex) REALLY lose performance if they are dirty.

When you start adding up the benefits -- and the relatively minimal costs of some of these solutions -- having a plan for getting clean is critical, even if that plan is catching a shower every couple of days at a pay-per-minute truck stop or a dive into a lake with biodegradable soap every day or two.

To turn a phrase, Cleanliness is next to Godliness in adventure travel and Irish Dictionaries ;) Stay clean, my friends!

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

Totally agree on the funky areas and the use of a wash cloth. When cleaning those areas, I wring out the towel and don't let it directly touch those areas.
I wonder if those wipes are sold packed but dry. I've had some wipe packs dry out on me when left in the car, and all I do is pour in drinking water to get them moist again. Pretty sure I'm not far off from what the manufacturer uses (hopefully).
When I use wipes beyond the confines of my home commode, I repackage and rehydrate.

The retail packaging can't keep wipes wet in a hot vehicle. I pull out a stack and put it in a ziploc freezer bag. These bags have thicker plastic and a double seal to keep the wipes wet in less than ideal conditions. I also add a bit of water to the pack before sealing it up. This gives me more moisture to work with and keeps the pack wet longer.

I have a pack in my center console for hands and face while driving or for meal breaks. I put some wipes in my ditty bag for bum duties. One more bag for full body action.

On longer trips I will supplement the wipes with a basic solar bag shower.

Reactions: LostInSocal

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Also most chain restaurants that serve ribs (Montanas is one that springs to mind) have wet wipes that are individually packaged...not eco-friendly but I keep a handful in the car just in case and they never dry out. Ask the server for a stack and sometimes they can hook you up. Trouble is you sometimes have to eat the food :P

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

When you start adding up the benefits -- and the relatively minimal costs of some of these solutions -- having a plan for getting clean is critical, even if that plan is catching a shower every couple of days at a pay-per-minute truck stop or a dive into a lake with biodegradable soap every day or two.

To turn a phrase, Cleanliness is next to Godliness in adventure travel and Irish Dictionaries ;) Stay clean, my friends!
Brilliant basic hygiene dissertation! You nailed it!

For me there is also a psychological boost. Camping , while fun, is more difficult than just hanging out at home, drinking brews, watching TV, and ordering take-out. Overlanding takes it to a whole new level, with hours of tough driving and having to set up and break down camp every day.

Having access to a shower after a hard, hot, sweaty, dusty day just mentally makes me feel so much better. Finishing it up with clean socks and fresh skivvies is pure bliss.

A shower is the luxury, that is a necessity!

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Username Not Found

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oceanside, CA
Member #

There are a few bonuses about the hard mounted systems that definitely trump the smaller portable ones in my opinion.
The first is that mine holds just under 5 gallons of water. That's 5 extra gallons of emergancy potable water that I have with me on my outings.
Then there's the zero setup time involved with it. I just hook it up to my OBA and presto, presurized water.
And the third and best of which is that my black ABS tank works as a solar heater during the day giving me a nice warm shower in the evening. And you can't beat a warm shower after a long day on the trail.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

This is the only picture I have, but my husband took three pieces of pipe metal, put them together, attached a j-hook and hung the 5 gallon shower bag that you can buy from REI or outdoor store. Then cut up some tarp and left one side open to walk out of. It's perfect height so you're not seen naked. Then we just bought an outdoor mat so our feet aren't dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Sonarman

Canadian Joe

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

IMG_1175.JPG IMG_1281.JPG My shower ,weights about 5 pounds, can also use to wash the truck, we heat about 5 litres in a pot over the fire or stove then put it into a 20 litre water jug with about 10 litres on cold water . The pump in on demand so that was ample for 2 people . At some point I will permently mount it under the hood. We did a trip the the Yukon and used it for three weeks and the lowest temperature was 30 degrees ( -1 C) We have heat in the back of the truck,so shower then get in .

Reactions: QCrunner