Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Went to Ellenville, NY to North East Off-Road Adventures for an overland class with a group of really cool folks. Two-day event in the Catskills - a perfect antidote to a pandemic induced cabin fever. Here are a few pics from the weekend. Day 1 we did an intro class to planning an overland trip and did some trail rides. Ended up at the campsite where we set up the rigs with camp gear. Big campfire and some good food, stories and beverages. Day 2 woke up to cold temps, hot coffee and bacon. Did a bit of training on vehicle maintenance and trail marshal techniques, then another trail ride. Was a great way to build skills, confidence, competence and make new friends. If you are in the Hudson Valley of NY check them out, they have events all the time. I learned a bunch and had fun! IMG_3615.jpegIMG_3618.jpegIMG_3626.jpegIMG_3620.jpeg

Squidhunter

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chico, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Forbes
Member #

I spent the first weekend of October at Usal Beach. I was looking to escape the smoke and my options were the coast, or the Eastern Sierras. Since my truck is 2wd, I'm rolling solo, have no recovery gear (working on that) and I don't know the trails on the eastern side of the mountains, I decided to play it safe and stick to what I know I can handle.

The weather was perfect and there air was clear. I planned to stay for three nights, but ended up leaving a day early. I've been here a few times before and always found the other campers to be quite and considerate. Not this time. There were large groups, doing donuts on the beach, setting off M80's, blasting music into the wee hours and other general ass-hattery. I'm blaming covid. It only served to make me that much more determined to get out into more isolated and remote areas for future trips.

Anyways, on with the pics:

Retired

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Discovery Bay, CA.
First Name
CJ
Last Name
H.
Member #

I spent the first weekend of October at Usal Beach. I was looking to escape the smoke and my options were the coast, or the Eastern Sierras. Since my truck is 2wd, I'm rolling solo, have no recovery gear (working on that) and I don't know the trails on the eastern side of the mountains, I decided to play it safe and stick to what I know I can handle.

The weather was perfect and there air was clear. I planned to stay for three nights, but ended up leaving a day early. I've been here a few times before and always found the other campers to be quite and considerate. Not this time. There were large groups, doing donuts on the beach, setting off M80's, blasting music into the wee hours and other general ass-hattery. I'm blaming covid. It only served to make me that much more determined to get out into more isolated and remote areas for future trips.

Great photos!

Reactions: Squidhunter

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Great pictures. Sorry your trip was cut short by the idiots that are out in groves. Yup, disbursed is the best way to go and you'll be surprised how far into back country you can get in a WD vehicle. Good luck, I hope it's better next time.

Reactions: Squidhunter

Christopher Hersey

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Roseville, CA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Hersey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6GTB

Great pics! A group of OB members went the following weekend and experienced some of the same behaviors unfortunately. It was the first time there for most of us and not sure if we’d ever go back on a weekend. Lots of mortars getting set off on Saturday night. The biggest issue we had was people driving out into the sand and having no idea how to do it. We dug out at least four other vehicles that weekend. Kids in Honda Pilots, rich people in rented overland rigs, and a Range Rover who’s driver was almost in the water. General stupidity and disregard for other people seemed to be very common out there. I’s too bad because it would be a great spot otherwise.

Now that I’m done complaining here are some pics:

AF5337B2-DD35-4984-A08D-47F087C34B96.jpegEE788564-88E4-4BB8-B841-88CD38336239.jpeg694FF0B3-A2DE-4B19-A7A0-2539C01AEC69.jpeg