Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The lookout may still be there but there has been some logging in the area and most of the non active roads are heavily overgrown, we just could not locate it it looks like the road has just vanished. That happens a lot up here.

We have a few ground tent guys still, but our group tries to be 4 seasons and we stay far away from organized campsites. And in the PNW that mostly means rain and mud usually late Sept until mid June, so RTT's, Awnings, and sand/mud matts.

I had a delightful 4 days on the west coast on Vancouver island in torrential rain, I was still sleeping in the Disco then and no awning just a big tarp. It was a great trip but a ground tent would have been a nightmare, there were a couple of inches of water on the ground, in large puddles most mornings.

But when I think back in my 20's a couple of army half shelters, air mattress and a mummy bag was good enough even overnighting at whistler before skiing the next day. But I like a bit of comfort now that I am in my 60's.

And our group is just happy to have folks come out, pretty much whether they are fully loaded or just starting out with a basic ground tent and stove. The new guys get lots of help and advice and the ground tent guys generally get 1st pick of the ground.

We average 12 to 16 trucks, although your can not see it we have 2 ground tents, 3 vehicles with people sleeping inside and then the rest of us in variety of RTT's

Yea I have an RTT and awning and pretty much everything else is 10+ years old, other than a few led lights and I am pretty happy.
The four season thing is reason enough to have one and makes sense. I'm 85 years old so having anything off the ground is almost impossible for me. I recently gave my 13' scamp to my daughter. I dont know if I will ever use my new T3 Gazelle tent because of my limited ability to walk now that I can only walk with a cane. Sleeping in my LRD2 looks like my only option anymore.

Sounds like you have a really good group to overland and camp with. Too bad about your loss of trails to some good places. I think we lost a lot a few years back when the FS closed a lot of them In the National Parks for some pretty stupid reasons.

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
Not much for over landing but first trip with the girl. Borderline glamping, extremely hot, a bit dusty. She is convinced we should actually overland now as in dispersed camping in the middle of no where.
American River Resort in placerville, CA.
OK! THANKS!!! Now the wife wants to know where that pic is from and how much for the night...LMAO...Could you DM me with any info you could? Thanks :)

Reactions: NorCalRam

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Went to Ellenville, NY to North East Off-Road Adventures for an overland class with a group of really cool folks. Two-day event in the Catskills - a perfect antidote to a pandemic induced cabin fever. Here are a few pics from the weekend. Day 1 we did an intro class to planning an overland trip and did some trail rides. Ended up at the campsite where we set up the rigs with camp gear. Big campfire and some good food, stories and beverages. Day 2 woke up to cold temps, hot coffee and bacon. Did a bit of training on vehicle maintenance and trail marshal techniques, then another trail ride. Was a great way to build skills, confidence, competence and make new friends. If you are in the Hudson Valley of NY check them out, they have events all the time. I learned a bunch and had fun! IMG_3615.jpegIMG_3618.jpegIMG_3626.jpegIMG_3620.jpeg

Squidhunter

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chico, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Forbes
Member #

I spent the first weekend of October at Usal Beach. I was looking to escape the smoke and my options were the coast, or the Eastern Sierras. Since my truck is 2wd, I'm rolling solo, have no recovery gear (working on that) and I don't know the trails on the eastern side of the mountains, I decided to play it safe and stick to what I know I can handle.

The weather was perfect and there air was clear. I planned to stay for three nights, but ended up leaving a day early. I've been here a few times before and always found the other campers to be quite and considerate. Not this time. There were large groups, doing donuts on the beach, setting off M80's, blasting music into the wee hours and other general ass-hattery. I'm blaming covid. It only served to make me that much more determined to get out into more isolated and remote areas for future trips.

Anyways, on with the pics:

Retired

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Discovery Bay, CA.
First Name
CJ
Last Name
H.
Member #

I spent the first weekend of October at Usal Beach. I was looking to escape the smoke and my options were the coast, or the Eastern Sierras. Since my truck is 2wd, I'm rolling solo, have no recovery gear (working on that) and I don't know the trails on the eastern side of the mountains, I decided to play it safe and stick to what I know I can handle.

The weather was perfect and there air was clear. I planned to stay for three nights, but ended up leaving a day early. I've been here a few times before and always found the other campers to be quite and considerate. Not this time. There were large groups, doing donuts on the beach, setting off M80's, blasting music into the wee hours and other general ass-hattery. I'm blaming covid. It only served to make me that much more determined to get out into more isolated and remote areas for future trips.

Great photos!

Reactions: Squidhunter

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Great pictures. Sorry your trip was cut short by the idiots that are out in groves. Yup, disbursed is the best way to go and you'll be surprised how far into back country you can get in a WD vehicle. Good luck, I hope it's better next time.

Reactions: Squidhunter