Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
M
Relax, hike/explore the area around camp.
Could use some ideas for how to entertain a 5 year old boy. Kid is super active so trying to sit him down to teach camp stuff is tough lol.
It might not stick very well with a 5 year old, but it's never too soon to start teaching things! Growing up my folks sent us into the immediate area with a scavenger hunt for local flaura and my dad set up orienteering courses for taking/following bearings with a compass. Maybe since he's younger both activities would have to be supervised/guided, but I think as a five year old the words "scavenger hunt" must be enticing and the opportunity to play with a compass would be cool? Tough at that young age though.

Jstrohbehn87

Rank III

Traveler III

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Strohbehn
Member #

Relax, hike/explore the area around camp.
Could use some ideas for how to entertain a 5 year old boy. Kid is super active so trying to sit him down to teach camp stuff is tough lol.
It might not stick very well with a 5 year old, but it's never too soon to start teaching things! Growing up my folks sent us into the immediate area with a scavenger hunt for local flaura and my dad set up orienteering courses for taking/following bearings with a compass. Maybe since he's younger both activities would have to be supervised/guided, but I think as a five year old the words "scavenger hunt" must be enticing and the opportunity to play with a compass would be cool? Tough at that young age though.
Oh yea for sure make it fun. Scavenger hunt is a great idea. He is into the coyote Peterson stuff on YouTube with insects and animals. So I'm working on teaching him about animal and insect etiquette. He shows interest but easily gets distracted.

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
1.) Frisbee golf - We play with whatever crap frisbees we have in the truck - ain't no fancy golf discs in there. Pick a tree in the distance, call out what par is (3 throws? 5 throws?) and you play just like golf. Track how many throws it took you to hit the tree (or outhouse or minivan or sign or rock or...). This one is better in forested areas but anything can be a frisbee golf hole. "Green Jeep in 5 throws!"

(image credits to my homie Becca G.)

2.) Hillbilly bocce - this one is a kick in the pants. It's just bocce wherever you are. It's super fun on beaches. This is a bocce game on a tiny island group called the Walker Group in the middle of the Queen Charlotte Strait. We had to call the game when the tide came in and we lost our beach.

Last edited:

KCAT

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Pueblo, Colorado, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
King
Member #

We built our girls, 2 and 4 yrs, an adventure pack. $20 digital camera from Amazon, binoculars, walkie talkies, a digital doodle pad. Everything stays in their adventure pack ready to go. They are also allowed to bring whatever toys they can fit in the pack too. Now on scavenger hunts they take pictures or draw what they have to find instead of taking it with us taking up pressure space in the truck.

Geo Explore and Adventure

Rank VI

Endurance II

CHARLOTTE
First Name
Barry
Last Name
OReilly
Member #

We spend a bit of time cooking, trying out new recipes, always looking to get creative with the Dutch oven. We have a mini projector, Nebula Capsule that allows us to stream movies from our phones. We also play a lot of card games, Smart A** is good right now.

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
We built our girls, 2 and 4 yrs, an adventure pack. $20 digital camera from Amazon, binoculars, walkie talkies, a digital doodle pad. Everything stays in their adventure pack ready to go. They are also allowed to bring whatever toys they can fit in the pack too. Now on scavenger hunts they take pictures or draw what they have to find instead of taking it with us taking up pressure space in the truck.
im going to use this idea, thank you!

Reactions: freak4life

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Now that's a good idea for families, "Adventure Pack". That is so cool!

Reactions: JAM420

JAM420

Rank 0

Contributor I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Monroe
We have a deck of cards, acoustic guitar, music and smokey smoke.

Love just chillin and relaxing.

In fact I'm chillin right now.

Attachments

Reactions: 9Mike2

RJJK

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Dubai - United Arab Emirates
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Jenkins
We spend a bit of time cooking, trying out new recipes, always looking to get creative with the Dutch oven. We have a mini projector, Nebula Capsule that allows us to stream movies from our phones. We also play a lot of card games, Smart A** is good right now.
I am really tempted to arrange a projector set up for a good movie whilst out and about.

What do you use for your screen?

Reactions: David H

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
I am really tempted to arrange a projector set up for a good movie whilst out and about.

With kids I could understand that, movies, a little, but when I am out I want to enjoy nature and get away from the world. But my boys are grown up and gone so I do not need entertainment. Maybe try to teach them that electronics are not really all there is in the world. My 2cents.

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.

I definite option - especially with younger kids. I use an old white queen bed sheet (not fitted) and hang it with clothes line pins from a rope on top, and tie to rocks on the bottom. You can get as creative as you want. I saw one that people setup at a park that had 3' wooden dowels sewn into the sheet across the top and bottom. They still hang it from a line, but the whole thing folded up and then rolled up and fit into a 5" x 3' plastic tube. Super cool and compact.

Reactions: Ubiety

Geo Explore and Adventure

Rank VI

Endurance II

CHARLOTTE
First Name
Barry
Last Name
OReilly
Member #

I agree, having a movie night is a bit counterproductive to spending time off-grid. However, it is a good filler for one or two nights when you are camping for up to a week. I have recycled an old 6’x4’ pop-up display unit, it is lightweight and the back is white, which works well for us.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Scout the ThundahBeagle still likes a nice long hike. 4 hours? Sure. A whole day? Sure. So we hike a little. Kayak where we can. Rummy/ Canasta/ Buraco is a fun but sure way to get people arguing about card rules. The game can take a while and so does the argument.

Cooking breakfast and supper. As always sitting by the fire. Someone invariably has a 6-string.

Gone_xtrkn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

Travel Scrabble, reading, photography.

I also seem to have a knack for buying damp firewood so getting a fire started often keeps me occupied for a decent amount of time.

• Haha