Launch Member

Member I

Kingston, TN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Caudle
Member #

Any number of things. If I'm by myself I just sit and enjoy being away from it all. Usually I have the ex-girlfriends youngest boy with me. With him we usually throw the baseball, hike, play pickle ball, etc. And when settled he and I will sometimes pull out my mini-projector and watch a movie. This is when I can keep him off of his phone games. LOL

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Depends. If fire restrictions keep me from having a fire I've got no problem breaking out my nav tablet which I usually keep a few movies loaded on and watch a movie while I have dinner and some Jack and Coke. Chill in the hammock and just listen to the world (I don't sleep more than naps in a hammock) Then hit the rack. When I camp I'm typically up when right before sunrise as the brightening sky will wake me up.

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

I have twin teenagers and they get bored without internet so I have done all kinds of things to keep them from killing each other. I have started bringing a small bid of Legos with me. It occupy the time like no other. Also I like to bring Risk. My kids love it and it packs so small it's ridiculous. Chess is always a favorite as well as a mandolin.

thewayhomeadventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Service Branch
Army / CIA
For our 4 year old son, this has also been a challenge...while his mom and I would love to sit and watch the stars and listen to the fire we have noticed that if we don't bring him enough stuff to do, it goes south. So we have a container now with baseball and gloves, frisbee, soccer ball (trying to still keep him active) and we found a set of bug/leaf collection tools and containers. He loves going around with those and finding things on a "scavenger hunt." Other than that we let him bring a bag of toys...and then, maybe then, we can have some time watching stars and fire! :grinning:

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

For our 4 year old son, this has also been a challenge...while his mom and I would love to sit and watch the stars and listen to the fire we have noticed that if we don't bring him enough stuff to do, it goes south. So we have a container now with baseball and gloves, frisbee, soccer ball (trying to still keep him active) and we found a set of bug/leaf collection tools and containers. He loves going around with those and finding things on a "scavenger hunt." Other than that we let him bring a bag of toys...and then, maybe then, we can have some time watching stars and fire! :grinning:
We travel often with friends that have twin 4 year old boys! Never a dull moment that for sure!! Thankfully I have some older children that live to entertain them, so the adults get to sit by the fire, look at the stars, and drink coffee.

kingofthehill29

Rank II

Advocate II

My favorite form of camp entertainment is an R/C car. I have a traxxas TRX-4 that I bought specifically for camping. It is perfect for this since it is slow enough that breaking is not a concern and the battery life is much better than other types of R/Cs.

Reactions: Fenrir_09 and Downs

lgifford156

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Westminster, MA, USA
First Name
Lisa
Last Name
Gifford
You can bring a bottle bash game, it has a few different names, but its basically a bottle on a pole at two ends and the other team try to knock it off, having kayaks, or bikes are always good. Once of my favorite card games is dutch blitz. Hide and seek is always good or maybe a slingshot with a target for the kids.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Growing up my family camped a lot. Long before electronics were used for entertainment we had several decks of cards. My father was a card shark and knew a 100 games at least. We would sit around the table and play cards. We also brought our bikes and we would ride our bikes all over camp.
Card games pack very small and light. A few decks of cards and there are endless game possibilities.
RC cars are fun too. Anything to unplug from the Internet/Social Media is a good thing.

Reactions: M Rose

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I always have at least one Labrador, several decks of cards, a couple of books, a cribbage board, a Uno deck, a small AM/FM/ Shortwave radio and a Ham radio in my rig. If I'm goin to be out with a group I'll bring horseshoes and stakes.

I like to just sit and listen to the sounds outdoors and watch the world go by. At night conditions permitting I enjoy sitting and listening to the fire and things that go bump in the night.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Growing up my family camped a lot. Long before electronics were used for entertainment we had several decks of cards. My father was a card shark and knew a 100 games at least. We would sit around the table and play cards. We also brought our bikes and we would ride our bikes all over camp.
Card games pack very small and light. A few decks of cards and there are endless game possibilities.
RC cars are fun too. Anything to unplug from the Internet/Social Media is a good thing.
I have a bashed and a couple of crawlers... my crawlers come with me..., bashed stays at home.

kmetzoff

Rank 0

Contributor I

Madison, WI USA
First Name
KYLE
Last Name
METZLOFF
When we go as a group there are usually silly games for people to get to know each other. One had me dressed as a women in less than 5 minutes (with donated clothing) all rated G but in good fun...The lipstick was hard to get off.