• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Lake Forest Ca
First Name
mark
Last Name
guithues
Member #

The only thing that I didnt see above that we really like is glow in the dark (or LED lit) bocce and a light up frisbee. The former, along with a light weight cornhole set gets everyone involved in a simple tournament. Require adults to keep a coctail in their off-hand and set the distance on cornhole based on age (5 yrs= 5 feet, 10 yrs = 10 etc.) everyone wins. For later, bring poker chips along with your cards.

Codebeagle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Elsinore, Utah, United States
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

Once camp is up and running, I like to work on projects or hobbies. Things like:
  • Cleaning/repairing old gear (I'm gonna rebuild my hi-lift on one of these trips)
  • Practicing skills like fire building, knots, navigation, and
  • Planning future trips in a notebook
  • Paracord projects
  • Watercolor paintings or sketching
  • Geocaching
  • Paying off sleep debt

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Just in case we ever get stuck in the tent for multiple days at a time, (think monsoon rains, Estes Park floods of 2013, we were there and in the tent for three straight days) we carry our Kindles, a cribbage board, and a travel scrabble board. Honestly though, that was the only time we spent a lot of time in the tent, so usually we are hiking, photographing, or motor touring (4x4ing) and by the time we get back to base camp or arrive at a new camp, we set up, eat, and sleep. I’m usually up before the sun and use that early morning time to maintain equipment or, more often than not, sit and meditate.

Last edited:

bumbleruck

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
M
I think cribbage must be a camping thing, I grew up playing it on campground tables with the boy scouts and to this day the only people I meet who ever know how to play (much less have a board!) are campers of one kind or another. Needless to say it comes on all my trips. Fun and easy to teach as well. I like the idea of horseshoes that someone mentioned: I like cornhole but no way I'm lugging them out into the mountains. Two pieces of rebar and some horseshoes sound much more space efficient and I still get to throw things at other things!

Also a fan of the Nook (or Kindle or whatever E-reader), perfect for a rainy day stuck in the tent or swinging in a hammock after a long day's drive and/or hike. No need to worry about ruining a good paperback! I do find that when traveling with a group we usually end up spending most of our leisure time setting up and taking down camp... funny how that works. :P

Reactions: MOAK

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

We usually end up with various activities to do once base camp has been set and the night starts. Cards especially cribbage, cornhole, keep a stash of paperbacks and such. However for longer trips where we may be out for a couple weeks, I bring out my iPad (which also works as our vehicle’s GPS) and a Bluetooth speaker and we watch downloaded movies in our tent. I’m all for getting away from technology in the field but every once in a while watching a movie with the girlfriend is relaxing.

Snerk

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Rosa, CA
First Name
michael
Last Name
baker
Don't have anything *yet*, but my spouse and I had some stuff we were talking about.

We want to get an iPad for navigation and so we can load media on to it (music for driving, TV shows for camp) and have that. We have a Nintendo Switch. For less technology-oriented stuff, we've talked about figuring out a cornhole setup, carrying a few packs of normal cards as well as stuff like cards against humanity.

On our last outing, we just did an overnight camp at a state campground and surprisingly had cellphone reception so we sat around the fire and just played whatever stupid games we had on our phones. It was honestly really nice.

Otherwise, my spouse and I are more than happy to just sit in silence near each other and munch on snacks, drink our coffee/beer/whatever, or just stare into the wilderness.

Also, catching up on sleep. Bedtime is "whenever it's dark and I'm tired" unlike at home. I normally go to bed around 1am, but while we're camping that'll be more like 8-9pm.

Reactions: FJ Montana

Snerk

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Rosa, CA
First Name
michael
Last Name
baker
I didn’t even think about ever taking my switch. That’s a great idea.
When we bought it, we bought a nice carrying case that has an integrated battery solely with the idea of taking it places.

Naturally, we get to camp and realize we completely forgot to even think about it.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Fireside, starlight, night sounds, wildlife, and enjoying being in the natural world... mostly. Once in a while (we're talking about multi-month trips here) we 'll watch a downloaded video on the iPad.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Good post! Give your camp meaning.

We tend to have music, stories, and personal reflections with family members or friends. Topics that sustain relationships.
The best time i had one time with family out in the wilderness was when after sharing a tragic moment about my life, my son told me, "Dad, I never knew that you..." My reply was simply "now you do and now you know I am not perfect." A good moment that will stick with him.

Take the time around camps and give it meaning.
Wanna see more? Dad and Son trip