...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Sometime last year I found this thread, and I said your build was so good I was probably going to get a Subie instead of a 4Runner. Sure enough, I ended up accepting a new position that has a 2 hour (round trip) commute, and going with a gas-guzzling 4Runner just was not an option lol. I ended up with a 2015 OB, and am just now getting around to starting some mods. I can't say thank you enough for this thread! I've been quietly following along, but I'll probably be bombarding you w/ questions in the near future. Please keep the posts coming!
Congrats and good luck with your Subaru! Feel free to send me a PM with any questions you have!

justinide

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Charlottesville, VA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Ide
Member #

Yeah I ordered armor at the same time as the original lift. If you’re planning on going with Primitive for armor I’d recommend saving up for all of it and buy it together. Mine as well take advantage of the discount.
Having gone with the Primitive plates and the LP bumper, would you do that again or stick with LP for both?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Having gone with the Primitive plates and the LP bumper, would you do that again or stick with LP for both?
I would. I prefer to remove a smaller plate for oil changes vs one large plate the size of two. The Primitive plate does have to be trimmed slightly to work with the LP bumper guard but its a simple job.

Reactions: justinide

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

Ahh hate to see this thread come to an end. I've had a good time reading through it the past few days doing research on getting a OB. Just bought a new to me 2019 3.6, ordered some 245/65/17 KO2s with the LP1s. Hope this tread can come back and give some more motivation!

dennisblass

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Trussville, AL, USA
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Blass
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4GHR
Next up was some great parts from our friends to the north and LP Aventure. First up is a brush guard that's a lot sturdier than most people would imagine. One of the weak points of the Outback off-road is its long nose. The brush guard doesn't help that but I'm not ready to go custom bumper yet so some protection is in order.

View attachment 7110

Some support plates/sliders for the rear.

View attachment 7111

EVAP canister bypass to help avoid problems if the water gets deeper than planned. This places the vent high above the rear wheel behind the wheel well liner.

View attachment 7112

Speaking of wheels it's time for some AT tread.

View attachment 7113

Yokohama Geolander G015 wrapped around super light yet super strong Enkei RPF1's. So here's how the car looks today. Still have plenty of plans and will update the thread as I go.

dennisblass

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Trussville, AL, USA
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Blass
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4GHR
WaWa Skittletits, great thread. Thanks for sharing your mods. Your Subaru looks terrific. I have a 2017 that I bought new. The warranty is over so its time to make some mods and pursue a bucket list item doing the Trans America Trail. My thinking is start with tires, skid plate, and brush guard. Then do the lift. I've never considered a lift over two inches. Did going higher create install problems such as brake lines? Did going higher cause any problems with suspension linkage? Thanks. Dennis

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thank you @dennisblass! Tires and armor will go a long way towards making your car a lot more capable. I’m compelled to mention the only ‘brush guard’ that I consider worth it is the LP bumper guard. Sadly it’s a pricey bugger but mine put in more work than any other protection piece on the car. It’s not even close and as a result completely worth it.

There’s a lot of false information out there when it comes to lifting, at the very least, the 5th gen. Lifting beyond 2” being one of them. I had no real issues with anything but lifting above 2” requires additional purchases like camber bolts up front and camber arms for the rear. The wheel fitment starts to get goofy due to the radius of the LCA so I was running 25mm front and 15mm rear spacers with 45 offset 17x8 to keep things flush. Over the course of 60k miles I prematurely replaced the left front axle and just replaced the right front when I removed the lift springs. It had been a little chatty when making all the way to lock and in the throttle right hand turns. If it weren’t for the struts coming out I’d still be driving on them worry free. I can say with extreme confidence that my affinity for drifting in snow is what shortened their life. 100%

The TAT is a great bucket lister! Doing to in a Subaru will be a lot cheaper, more quiet, and all around more comfortable than with any of the more traditional off/soft road vehicles you’d find. It’s capabilities require a learning curve to get the most out of it because the intrusive electrical nannies can actual create problems. The learning curve is how to avoid putting yourself in those situations and dealing with them when you can’t avoid them.

Once again welcome Dennis! I look forward to seeing your adventures.

Reactions: dennisblass

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Apologies @DrockinWV, I totally missed your post. Yes the car has been on it’s way back towards stock-ish for a little while now. After punting the deer I was forced to endure a lot of headaches because of an awful body shop and it really soured the car to me. It took 18 months to get it back to how it should be but at the same time I’ve also outgrown it a bit while also approaching a mileage milestone. Time to move on so most of the mods have been removed. Congrats and good luck with yours! I’m not going anywhere so I’ll always be available if you ever have any questions!

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Well I figure the time has come to close one chapter and start a new one. My new Bison has already undergone some changes and it’s already proven to be an absolute billy goat off road. I will certainly miss the Subaru’s mpg but this thing has reignited the passion. Thanks to everyone who followed along but it’s time to start a new build thread...

8A5275C5-AA65-4B4D-AE43-AA9A1D37880F.jpeg

kostkafex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chino Valley, AZ, USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Kostka
Member #

Nice! I went from an Outback to a GMT700 (GMC Canyon, not as cool as a Bison, but still) and realized how much low range does for ya. Can't wait to see the new build thread.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Congratulations on the Bison! Those things are awesome!

Sorry to hear about the body shop headaches though. My 4Runner is in the shop again now after poor repairs done in 2019 from a wreck. The poor repairs Soured it for me as well over the last two years and we almost traded it for a new one but figured I'd let them have one more attempt at getting it back to how it was before the wreck. Little gremlins and small annoyances can really ruin the rest of the fun so I don't blame you. Plus!! This Bison is such a great platform.

Time to learn to embrace the cliche "Smiles per Gallon, not Miles per Gallon"

...You'll get tired of hearing that lol

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I am in the process of buying a 2023 Outback Onyx. I was convinced I wanted a Green one, but after seeing your white one, I think the white one I have coming will be perfect.
I assume yours is stock height? What size are the KO2s? How bad did they effect your mileage?
I love the look of your car, very well done.

Reactions: MiamiC70