Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

All in all, pretty pleased with the results.
Before:20180122_191604.jpg

After:
20180122_191609.jpg
Before (projected on the garage door, for alignment purposes):
20180122_194512.jpg
After:
20180122_194503.jpg

As you can see, they are a bit more spot-y than they are supposed to be. I don't think they'll blind oncoming traffic though. They should cut through fog and alert other drives on the road of my presence no problem! Especially pleased because I think I paid like $19 for the amber fogs.
20180122_194914.jpg

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Very nice! I had a similar idea, but tucked them up under the back of the winch mount plate. Also tied to the factory circuit but I had to replace the factory connectors because one was intermittent.
WJ-Fogs.jpg

Reactions: BigTuna117

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Reporting in from the tablet, as epic, nightmare level shenanigans insued last week. Last Tuesday, I got home from work to find the house flooded! Finding the house under 4" of water was quite a shock indeed, fortunately 99% of our stuff was salvageable. Only major losses were particleboard shelves, and a particularly ugly fish tank stand. That being said, we are currently living at a motel in the old Town, waiting for repairs on the house to complete. So yeah, the Venerable Pegasus continues on, minus a home base. Jeep, don't fail me now! Especially since I can't fix anything for another week or two, lol

I figured I post here since it's kind of like a blog type deal, and it does affect the Jeep. Just kind of an interesting happening. All is well, otherwise!

Sent from my SM-T520 using OB Talk mobile app

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Well, early into last summer the G1W-C dash cam I was using ate another MicroSD card, and then promptly stopped working altogether. All in all, I was rather disappointed because this little booger has had plenty of issues over its short service life. After research I replaced it with an Anker Roav C1. Anker is quickly becoming my favorite accessory store, as their warranty and customer service is unparalleled. I'be bought other things from them, and I was pleased with the features these dash cams come with. You don't have to actually remove the MicroSD card to access video, as the cam has Wi-Fi built in, just open the app and go! Picture quality is pretty great, too, so that's a bonus.
20180221_131913.jpg
As seen from outside. it's low profile form sits neatly behind the rearview.

20180221_131946.jpg
20180221_131937.jpg

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

All right, With Pegasus homebase restored to functionality, it's time to work on the Jeep and get this big girl rollin' right!
(especially since I can type on my own keyboard, and not on a phone again)
I've got several chores to take care of on the front axle, the driver CV shaft is pretty much toast, and needs to be replaced. While I'm at it, the hub assembly will get swapped, since it's cheap and a "better safe than sorry" part to replace. Oh, and brakes. The additional 20mi back and forth revealed that my brake pads are low. Time for a brake job.

I also need to adjust front axle caster, but that will be done when I install leveling spacers, which will likely be towards the hot months.

Oh, and my e-brake cable snapped. So I need to replace that now too.

And the rear hatch lock ceased up. At least it's ceased in the "locked" position.

And my mini-cats are starting to clog. Imma be a busy boy.

So what are my goals? Well, I'd like to run the Mojave, as I said previously. With the announcement of the AZ Peace Trail, It seems like a prime overlanding route. I'd love to form a group and navigate through it. I may not be the first, but I surely will complete both, in some time.

Also, have you seen the Overland Bound & Overlandboundfake video on youtube? All I can say to Michael is lots of respect. I really can appreciate the way you handled that.

Ronald Miranda

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

18.465161, -69.953888
Member #

Very nice rig! I'm having the same problems you had a while ago. CPS, CKS, TPS, Injectors (mine is # 3 P0203), Thermostat and neck housing.

How do the Bilstein 5100 feel? this month I will install the IRO 3 "A-Arm and I am considering the Core4x4 adjustables all over, but I am not very convinced yet.

Keep on posting! Anything you need, let me know, some of us have had a lot of traumas with these WJ! LOL

Reactions: BigTuna117

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Ok, so the biggest plus I see to Core 4x4 Control arms is their warranty. you break it, they replace it, no questions asked. They've been quite receptive to my asking them questions.

The Bilstiens are the best shock I've ridden thus far. The 5100's have specific P/N for the WJs, and they're application specific to our WJs, meaning that you get a very confident feel on and off road. On highway, the Jeep hunkers down and drives like a racecar! That being said, I've borked the geometry of the rear end of my jeep so much that I'm considering a reservoir type shock for the rear (and retain the 5100's in the front) for a more firm ride in the back (of course the rear 5100's I am using were hand-me-downs of a friend of mine, so they have almost a full decade of consecutive, extreme use and torment, so I'm pleased to say they have some good use on them).

The IRO 3" also was hand-me-down from the same friend, and is just as old nearly. very pleased, though there is some sag at this point, and I intend to add leveling spacers soon.

@Ronald Miranda, I'm sorry to hear about your issues. Scrutinize your PCM, its the one thing I didn't check and it turned out to be (part of) the issue.

Ronald Miranda

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

18.465161, -69.953888
Member #

Perfect, good to know that I made a good purchase and will not have problems in at least 3 years. Thanks for the comments, now I am much calmer.

In a few months I will buy the Core4x4 control arms. (Baby coming so I need to save $, LMAO) Tier2 probably.

I'm going to take my rig to an electrician, so he can check everything! to see if it's a PCM problem or wiring harness short.

Ronald Miranda

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

18.465161, -69.953888
Member #

That's great but I don't think I'm going that way. I'm staying 3"-3.5" Lift with 32's (265/75R16) or maybe 33's (285/70R17).

This is my DD. With those Short Arms I will be more than good! LOL

And the I6 4.0L, those tires are big enough. I have the 3.73 dif ratio.

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Well, having abused mine enough, I'd like to do front long arms and 4.5" of lift total, on 33s. Currently at 3" lift with 32" Kanati Trail Hog A/Ts, very pleased with the current setup, just would like to scrape my skid plates a little less (though its what they're there for!)

Ronald Miranda

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

18.465161, -69.953888
Member #

yes! When you go through the MOAB, I really see that you need height and flexibility. It's not my case, only some trails in my country (Dominican Republic) have those big rocks and falls. We deal mainly with mud and high speed dirt roads, crossing rivers and loose gravel. Once in a while, we require expert levels. We do more overlanding than extreme routes.

I would love to visit and complete the MOAB routes someday! Maybe in a few years when I move to CT, I can have the opportunity!

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Well, it's starting to warm up, rather quickly I might add. I just had the bad axle half shaft and hub assembly replaced today. She also got a fresh set of brake pads, and given proper bleeding, and the brake booster I installed last year, she stops on a dime again. Hopefully I can get the e-brake cable replaced this weekend, and perhaps the door lock actuator will be installed soon, too. Then I need to start planning for the next major overhaul, exhaust. The mini-cats are very quickly becoming more of an issue, and are showing signs of failure. When I replace the y-pipe, I'll also invest in new O2 sensors, just to keep things in tip-top shape.

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Well, after a brief interlude, and a moment to re-think my game plan regarding all of the repairs I've been trying to complete, we return guns blazing, ready to tackle several maintenance related tasks and repairs. Today I mustered up the courage to pull the carpet and replace the parking brake cable. This job was a serious, 3 hour PITA, and the legs, knees, arms and head. 18 year old carpet is rather stubborn and doesn't like to move out of its conformed position. Also, re-tensioning the lever was... interesting. As many know, there is supposed to be a lockout which allows the mechanism to spin freely inside the lever, allowing you to easily re-tension the the spring inside. Most can't figure out how to get the thing to lockout, so they just force the spring back onto its peg. Somehow, I managed to get the lockout activated, and the system self tensioned. Don't ask how I did it, because I'm still not sure. lol

I also spent 2018's first 110+ degree day (Sunday) out painting the Jeep. The fenders were looking pretty gnarly given the under body coating I used had mostly worn off. Surface rust had begun to form, and I couldn't spare any more time putting it off. after careful sanding, a couple of coats of Primer+Paint was put on, and it looks pretty sharp again.
IMG_20180603_141046.jpg
I've also picked up a set of OFFROAD BOAR traction boards. We'll see how they hold up in time. I can say that I'm mighty curious myself. They seem pretty dang sturdy, but if they work for the $80 I spent on them, I'll be pleased!
20180604_201559.jpg

More cool stuff to come, too! I feel like I have a good lead on the summer.

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Now we get to one of the most important parts of the build thus far. The part where I play "Lets pay money to fix a bunch of self-inflicted problems but also look cooler at the same time." Recently I bought IRO's front long arm upgrade kit, which meant it was time to install them! Basically, everything suspension related over the last 4 years has been leading to this. As it turns out, the IRO adjustable arms no longer use a stop-nut to cease the adjustable joint. A built in clamp holds things quite securely, and without the hazard of the stop-nut loosening. I did find that my Core 4x4 short arms did hold up pretty well, all things considered. With all of the overall adjustments to the suspension, I found myself with a completely re-aligned front axle, and fresh, proper angles in the rear. All of my driveline vibes, bump-steer, and strange clunks and rattles have disappeared. She purrs down the road, with only engine roar audible.

20180618_171850.jpg
Sitting pretty at 4.5"

The new control arms themselves are extremely beefy. Even though I went with IRO's older "Iron Y" 3-link Radius Arm setup, I feel like this is a great value for someone looking to go to 4" on a budget, or if you have been slowly accumulating parts like I have.

20180618_171903.jpg
I didn't take any pictures while working, it took long enough without the camera in my hand!

There are a few parts to work out, though. The Jeep WILL NEED extended brake lines and coil retention in order to articulate past "sway bar normal." In other words, disconnecting the sway bar is currently not an option, unless I want to use my brake lines as limiters. But for now, she behaves much better on the tired Mohave Valley roads, so I'll take that as a victory.

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Finally began re-working the exhaust. I began to see severe power loss consistent to a clogged catalytic converter. I cut the main cat off, and replaced the Y-pipe. Mine is equipped with the dual mini-cats for California compliance, so of course that's the model I went for. New O2 Sensors all around too. This is also a pretty good example of what the Anker Roav dash cam is capable of.

I still need to install the new muffler, But it's looking like that will be next week.

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch...

I've been diagnosing a temperature issue in the Jeep. It's not so much that the Jeep is overheating, rather more "bouncy needle syndrome" Than I'd like to see. Some fluctuation between 190-210 is pretty much expected with the aftermarket setup, as the system heats and cools under load, BUT... 215-220 tells me something is afoot. My suspicion is actually the new Y pipe. I replaced the rad cap (which was the wrong pressure it turns out), which helped some. It not only has larger catalytic converters on it, but a section appears to run closer to the oil pan than on the previous y-pipe. The temp spike seems to correlate more with engine rpm rather than load, which leads me to believe that perhaps the new Y-pipe is splashing excess heat into the oil via the pan, and causing the system to run hotter than expected. Today I further tested this theory by clamping on a piece of 2" exhaust wrap parallel to the "close contact" point, Using this wrap material as a makeshift heat shield rather than wrapping the exhaust, I was able to drive to Las Vegas and back (about 1.5 hours each way) without passing 215. I will double up this piece of wrap and see if I can push temps down further. I will also probably add an oil cooler at some point in the near future, too.

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Well, the last week has been full of excitement and Jeep mods. Last weekend I had a chance to install the Hayden 459 Ultra-Cool Engine Oil Cooler Kit.
41fmmpj-AbL._SX425_.jpg
Even though 459 is the PN for the "Light Duty" model, I believe it is sufficient for my application. I wanted to see if I could pull some of the heat out of the oil, further reducing strain on the cooling system. Cooling the oil should also improve the long term lubricity of the oil (I'm thinking about crawling here). I've found during my torture tests (Highway driving, slow urban driving, and everything in between) that as the vehicle temp raises, the oil pressure is a bit higher overall, though it never dropped below the normal "40." During this install, she got a fresh filter and an oil change. She's a happy girl!
20180924_154411.jpg
Overall, not bad. Cooler installs with nylon plugs, kind of like zip ties. I bought another set of those, just in case.

Another adventure was getting hold of a set of Panavise mounts for the Jeep. Panavise asks $25 for each, and $20 shipping for the set of two, so I ended up looking elsewhere. I scored a gently used set for $20 with free shipping on ebay! I Mounted my CB hook on the right, and a wireless charging phone cradle on the left. Looks much more clean than the vent hooks which generally have a tendency to fall off mid-trail.
20180929_175806.jpg
Eventually I'd like to install HAM radio in the Jeep, and I can adapt the Panavise mount to accept both Mics in the future. The current hook doesn't interfere with the tablet mount, either!