Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Just wondering, as I contemplate all the mods I want/need to do... what was your "BEST" mod for your Toyota 4Runner for off-roading or overlanding?

Yes, I realize this is a wide net. I figured this would allow plenty of flexibility for responses. :)

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Suspension. I hate the OEM Toyota suspension, esp after it has a lot of miles on it. Saggy and bouncy.
Also, I’m not saying “lift”. I’m saying upgrades suspension. Lift is a personal preference depending on the type of added clearance you want/need. But across the board, I’ll never own a Toyota without upgrading the suspension too. It just makes these vehicles SO MUCH BETTER.

Once I’ve added tires in another month or so, my answer will be suspension and tires.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Suspension. I hate the OEM Toyota suspension, esp after it has a lot of miles on it. Saggy and bouncy.
Also, I’m not saying “lift”. I’m saying upgrades suspension. Lift is a personal preference depending on the type of added clearance you want/need. But across the board, I’ll never own a Toyota without upgrading the suspension too. It just makes these vehicles SO MUCH BETTER.

Once I’ve added tires in another month or so, my answer will be suspension and tires.
Cool. Thanks for the advice.

I can't decide if I want a lift or not, since 95% of my driving is highway and it is my DD as well (at least when I drive). I'm considering getting the bumper I want and roof rack first to help determine if I need a lift to compensate or not. I wouldn't mind a little more clearance, 2-3" tops, but I don't want to affect my MPG either.... it's all I hear most Jeep guys complaining about. :)

Reactions: Ben Cleveland

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

X2 on suspension with little to no lift. Preferably from a high quality shop such as OME.

I would not go with any extraneous things externally such as bumpers, racks or the sort until the day comes when you realize “I need a steel bumper” and “I have too much shiz and need to stash it on the roof”. These items are heavy and effect wind drag and probably unnecessary for a daily/mild wheeler.

I think there is a lot to be said about on-board air, rear storage solutions for the interior, quality tires... and headers:smilingimp:

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I also often drive my Toyota SUV daily and overland with it frequently. It's bone stock suspension wise, but it came with a great suspension from the factory, where it seems some of them do not dependent on packages ordered. Most valuable upgrades to me looking back day to day are the tires I put on and my fridge. The all terrain tires lend themselves to my dual use MUCH more than the stock tires. The fridge has been an absolute blast helping out on everything from camping, to grocery store trips, to staying hydrated.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Cool. Thanks for the advice.

I can't decide if I want a lift or not, since 95% of my driving is highway and it is my DD as well (at least when I drive). I'm considering getting the bumper I want and roof rack first to help determine if I need a lift to compensate or not. I wouldn't mind a little more clearance, 2-3" tops, but I don't want to affect my MPG either.... it's all I hear most Jeep guys complaining about. :)
You need to realize literally every one of the things that gets added to the exterior of our vehicles, or that adds weight to our vehicles, will absolutely affect gas mileage.

I have a lift, rack, RTT, extra gear, and just added a snorkel. Still on stock tires, and no armor yet. I’ve lost at least a few mpg. I used to get 300-320 to a tank, now I get 250-300 to a tank depending on how I drive. If I keep a light foot it’s almost as good as it used to be, but even the slightest bit of aggressive driving and my mpg tanks.

If you really value mpg, I would do everything possible to NOT add bumpers, rack or any exterior mounted gear. Also I would not lift, just upgrade stock suspension.

If you do choose to add those things, yes you should add them before doing suspension, then upgrade suspension for that particular combination of addons. Works much better that way.

giarc1234

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Spanaway, WA
Member #

Do you have a full skid package? or just certain ones?
I have the Full skid package from RCI minus the fuel tank. I bought them one by one when they had group buys, started with the front and worked my way back. If you do go that route get the steel, I have seen the Alu brake. You have a capable vehicle stock and if you protect it it will last you a long time.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I am extremely happy with my cargo drawers in my 3rd gen. I made them low so dogs could hang out on top, and included a flip-out panel so we can sleep on it.

My rig is lifted about 2.5 to 2.75" over stock, but that is mostly because most "heavy duty" spring options are designed for ~3" of lift. I still havent bought a fridge yet, and only have half of my skid plates built (front skid and gas tank), but I am already about 475lbs over stock. I would have liked to lift only about 1.5", but such lifts would have likely been saggy after all the weight.

That said, most of my gear I would do again. I love my cargo drawers (which were something like $75 including two piano hinges). However, overall, Id have probably skipped the winch if I could do it over again, which would have enabled me to build a lighter and more compact bumper.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I am extremely happy with my cargo drawers in my 3rd gen. I made them low so dogs could hang out on top, and included a flip-out panel so we can sleep on it.

My rig is lifted about 2.5 to 2.75" over stock, but that is mostly because most "heavy duty" spring options are designed for ~3" of lift. I still havent bought a fridge yet, and only have half of my skid plates built (front skid and gas tank), but I am already about 475lbs over stock. I would have liked to lift only about 1.5", but such lifts would have likely been saggy after all the weight.

That said, most of my gear I would do again. I love my cargo drawers (which were something like $75 including two piano hinges). However, overall, Id have probably skipped the winch if I could do it over again, which would have enabled me to build a lighter and more compact bumper.
Are you building all your mods yourself?

JoshMTN4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Monroe, WA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Yeah. Obviously I bought the suspension components, and started with a partially-assembled weld-together slider kit. But yeah I built my bumpers, skids, and cargo drawers. And all the welding has been done with an $80 HF welder :P .
Nice! Welding seems fun, which model do you have? Did you weld the shelves and platform or use wood?

Why would you skip the winch.

I’m just about to add a decent amount of weigh to my rig soon.

250 lb front bumper + winch (combined)
110 lb sliders + 62 lb fuel skid
200 lb roof top tent

620 lbs so far.

Wish the ARB bumper was slightly lighter than 190lbs! :D

+ 500 lbs of humans on adventures. :D

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

best mod .... nothing !!! just getting behind the wheel and putting some miles on it and finding what things I needed for the kind of driving I did . what's great for someone in the desert will probably not work or be as helpful to someone who lives in a snowy mountain area .

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Nice! Welding seems fun, which model do you have? Did you weld the shelves and platform or use wood?

Why would you skip the winch.

I’m just about to add a decent amount of weigh to my rig soon.

250 lb front bumper + winch (combined)
110 lb sliders + 62 lb fuel skid
200 lb roof top tent

620 lbs so far.

Wish the ARB bumper was slightly lighter than 190lbs! :D

+ 500 lbs of humans on adventures. :D
Sweet!

I am running the 110v Flux-Core MIG welder from HF. Normally listed at $99, and I used a 20% off coupon on the purchase. I initially bought it to just tack everything together, but I just kept running beads and it kept laying them :P .

As to the winch, I just think they are extremely oversold to the offroad community. So many people think they are just a must-have, but I go out probably once a week these days and as long as I am not looking for trouble, I dont have issues. The two times I have been stuck I got pilles out from the rear. And even now, most of the time I am looking at obstacles and figuring out if I can make it, they are in circumstances where a shovel and hi-lift would make for a much more usable recovery option.

And, even worse, I am getting ready to move to New Mexico. That means unless I buy a $400 pull-pal to winch into the earth, my winch is that much less useful :P .

Of course, this is not to say I dont have recovery gear. I carry a shovel and hi-lift 24/7 with multiple lifting options and a pretty well-developed wiching kit, plus multiple strap and snatch options and I also take my traction mats when I go wheeling.

Reactions: JoshMTN4R