Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Hope this unit performs well. I have the smaller version of this for my Renegade. Want to be able to install it this weekend.

Hope this unit performs well. I have the smaller version of this for my Renegade. Want to be able to install it this weekend.

The install is very strait forward.

I found due to the clearance that the controller box should be mounted before installing the winch also I had to pre-determine the way I was going to run the wires to the battery so I could get a good lay out before bolting the winch in place.

Accessory Update:

Harbor Freight sells a wireless remote control. I went the other day and took a look at the system. My feeling is that the winch will perform better with a hard wired controller. The wireless system seem like there could be a down side on the trail mainly the (loss of battery power in the remote).

I got the wireless system....trying to figure out how to mount the winch in my 4Runner figured the wireless system may be the best bet for me.

I was thinking of buying it. When I went to look at it I realized that I didn't have any more room to mount the wireless box and the remote didn't have a battery level indicator.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

One of the off road magazines did a winch shootout a while back and the badlands didn't do bad at all. It was slow and had to stop it to cool down a couple times. No reliability issues at all.
Champion has a line of winches I have been looking at for my suburban. I have had one of generators for quite a while and love it. We live off grid in northern idaho where solar doesn't do well. This generator runs 4~5 hours a night to charge batteries and run the tv. It has got to have close to 3,000 hours on it without a hitch so I feel good looking at their winches.

I’ve been out on many trips now and I have yet to get myself stuck on a trail and need a which.

I haven’t had a chance to just do a test.

However I met with the people at Harbor Freight in charge of developing the Winch and they are constantly trying to improve it and make it the best possible Winch for the price point. I gave them some suggestions and hopefully those will show in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

The controller box is the only thing about the Winch that I have not been fond of. The box it’s self is fine. The cables to the battery run directly out of the back and don’t have room on the Jeep to go down behind the Winch. Therefore they had to be run through the grill.

My feedback is that with a remote mounting location or having the cables run at 45 degree angle this would be the perfect Winch for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I bought a Jeep that the previous owner had installed a 12000 lbs. Badland winch on it. A long pull will heat the winch up fast. Also, it is a slow winch. But, it did always work, and you just have to remember my comments above and go from there. If it saves you one time, you payed for it in what it would cost to have a towing company pull you out! Benz.

DRLExpress

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Estacada OR
Member #

If you are giving them suggestions, I wish the gear end housing would be clockable. I like a wench that is mounted feet forward, this takes all the stress off the mounting bolts during a pull. To do this you need to be able to turn the housing to get the engage/disengage lever back on top.

Doug

Ended up using the Winch.

It works great!

It’s not as quick as a Warn but it’s also over $1k cheaper. I have no complaints. For the price it’s hard to beat!

Summit [emoji777] Overland “Find Your Line” /// OB 8010 /// S.C.O.T.A Member - Sent from the Trail!

Reactions: Graeman
So I have run the older version, 9500lds on my jk it does fine but remember to let it cool down after heavy pulling as for the remote it works quite well for what it is no complaints as of yet but still on going use.

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app
Yes, I put on the 12k so I wouldn’t run into that issue quite as often.

Summit [emoji777] Overland “Find Your Line” /// OB 8010 /// S.C.O.T.A Member - Sent from the Trail!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks for the information! I look forward to hearing what you think after you use it some more.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

View attachment 45494

Harbor Freight sponsored the Jeep with a 12,000 lbs Badland ZXRWinch to do product testing on in an Overland environment to see how it holds up.

I received the winch yesterday and installed it on a 2017 Jeep JKU with the Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Front Bumper.

The installation is very straight forward.

1. Mount the fairlead
2. Mount the controller box to the winch
3. Mount the winch to the winch plate on the front bumper
4. Feed the cable through the fairlead
5. Run the wiring to the battery
6. Enjoy the winch

I had an issue with the ground wire that attaches to the controller box being loose. I spoke with customer service and they explained how to open up the controller box. It was an easy fix and they were very friendly and helpful!

The next step is to put the winch to the test!
Really want to see how it turns out since as they "say" if you want lasting quality don't buy from harbor freight lol. But then again these are just opinions and not always entirely factual.