Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
@Laughing Otter Well said sir! the site reflects what it is in a purist form without distraction. They (of the overland-bound community) exemplifies this. Thank you for the comments!!!!!!

Reactions: Laughing Otter

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

When I first stumbled onto OB, I found this site to be a figurative breath of fresh air. Was so tired of vehicle specific sites or categorized sites. I love that this site, to paraphrase a popular racing quote, is a "Run what ya brung" site. People here are top notch and I have always had a great experience here. Because of that I became a supporter, long before I became a member.

@Michael and @Corrie, you guys have done a damn fine job as far as I'm concerned. There's a problem...you fix it. I'm okay with that. Your merchandise? The price is worth it as far as I'm concerned. @Michael , you made a mistake...and????? LOL, we all do...and we all will. The same goes for errors in judgement. But let's look at all the great things that @Michael and @Corrie have done for this site. Pretty impressive I say. This site can count on my continuing support...yes @Corrie , even through our "shipping snafu's" and misadventures...I never once thought of leaving the site.

A special shout out to @Steve , Who has done a damn fine job on this site, as a member, moderator, and...administrator? Damn, he has so many banners I can't keep track of 'em all!! Great job guys...and thank you.

~Alan
Thank you for summarizing exactly what many of us think here @Laughing Otter I joined for the same reasons. "Run what ya brung", no judgemental members, and lots of cool people outfitting their vehicles to go out and explore. There's nothing wrong with the vehicle specific forums, but this one is more exciting and special. @Michael @Corrie thank you, and lets continue growing and getting the message out. Your "Are you an Overlander" video hits all the points on why we do this. Without exploration, I personally would go mad. It's in our nature to see what's over the horizon.

-Nick

Last edited:

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

@Michael Mate, I've been busy as heck lately and haven't checked in for a while but was surprised to see this post. Having read the contents, though, I'm not surprised really. I've run several forums and still do and there are always people who complain bitterly about everything and anything. You charge for something, they whine; you give something away they whine and want a lifetime warranty and unlimited support. 'Tis the way of the world nowadays. I sometimes read my emails and wonder if I've woken up on another planet. Don't sweat those who find problems where they don't exist or make mountains out of molehills. Those types will still be around long after we're driving our Jeeps through the gates of Heaven (hopefully :) ).

Reactions: Laughing Otter

SteveS

Rank 0

Contributor II

Hey all…I’m a heart on my sleeves kind of guy. I do my YouTube videos in one take. It’s not scripted or planned. I don’t want to script or plan. Because of that, sometimes I do things that are not catered, packaged, or well thought out. This post is probably one of those times.

This week may be a turning point for Overland Bound. I’m not sure. I have had three "firsts" this week that my more measured and careful Michael would not respond to. I'm savvy like that. I’d leave it lay. The truth is, I care too much to not respond, and I care too much about the individuals to not let them know where we stand!

First number one: I was told by a long-time, under 500 founding member that they were having trouble signing in to our website, it was hard, difficult, and frustrating, so please remove the account and delete all posts in the forums by said individual. I understand not wanting to deal with our technical struggles as we grow and learn. I do. We are not REI, or {insert huge company with endless resources}, we are learning as we grow. We are doing this for the first time ever in our lives. Opting out is fine, but our whole mission is to share information and encourage others to get outside. I find the request to remove all post made by said individual to be repulsive, and against the founding principles of Overland Bound. We share. I reserve the personal right to revoke any founding member number from members who violate our principles. I will return your money for the badge and reclaim that number for someone else.

Two: I was accused of not being responsible. I f#$ked up, and I ACTUALLY CAUSED an e-mail blast while testing a new site theme, that spammed valued members and caused HUNDREDS of unsubscribes. I made a mistake! This person told me that I was irresponsible, and if I start a business, it’s my responsibility to make sure this never happens. This was offensive to me. I thought of my Dad, and my brothers. The way I live my life, I’m responsible for EVERYTHING. All of it. So responsible, I feel I have an obligation to empower people to rediscover themselves. To challenge themselves. To push boundaries and rediscover their connection with the Great Outdoors. It’s my job. I have a responsibility to do so.

Three: I was accused of commercializing Overland Bound because of the price of our T-Shirts, stickers, and Emblems. The individual criticized us because we are charging for things we used to do FOR FREE. I don’t know how to respond to that. We still give away our stickers FOR FREE! TO ANYONE! We do it to spread the word. It comes out of our pocket. The price of our stuff? Yes, because it is worth it. We are obsessed about quality, and quality is not cheap for us to produce. Also, I’ll be very clear on this point, Overland Bound will be as big as we can make it. If I can make it a global brand, I will. The mission is that important to me. The first rule in business is existence, without it, you help no one. Without it, Overland Bound does not exist. I will continue to do everything I can to make Overland Bound a household name.

For the first time this week I realized Overland Bound is not for everyone. I wish it were. Upon reflection, I’m OK with that. Our direction is solid, the cause essential. For all of you who get it, who have grown with us, and continue to grow with us, we thank you. Without you, Overland Bound is nothing. Continue to spread the word, push your boundaries, connect with nature, and have fun. We will see you off the grid.

Thank you, and more sincere than ever,

Michael
Hi Michael,

As I'm sure you can see I'm am very new here.

However I can already see the work you have put into this community.

Anyone can start a website. I think people sometimes see the surface of a project or one angle of an idea and are quick to make snap judgments.

What you have done is not a simple task. Building the website is one thing. But cultivating this idea, this brand into a global movement is amazing. It did not cost me a dime to join and enter into the discussions here at overland bound.

People join a jeep forum or a 4Runner forum and are blasted with ads from every direction on the screen. Yet no one accuses the founders as "commercializing" the site.

Not only do you need to cover your costs of operating; you should be able to turn a profit from this. I know my time is very precious to me as I am sure yours is to you.

You had a unique idea, you built upon that idea, you should capitalize on that idea.

Thanks for building a solid foundation for people to collaborate and network. Hopefully one day I can shake your hand.

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

The worldwide nature of this community is what drove me to join up and get involved, also the fact that Overlanding / Touring comes in all shapes and sizes regardless of what you drive (living example here=Shoebox on wheels)...and the welcome I received and continue to enjoy !....Keep on truckin'...cheers

P:S...and what ever I can do to spread the word on this side of the pond goes without saying...

Last edited:

OldH1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint Simons Island GA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Mohr
Member #

Service Branch
Former LEO
My 2 cents, this is one of the best forums on the internet with an honest message and true support for all. Forget the haters, keep moving forward with the message as we are all listening, enjoying and getting outside to help spread the message! Bravo Zulu Michael / Corrie!!