Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

You guys rock.

Michael and I chose to make the big leap with this just over 6 months ago. I left my job in the consumer good startup world, and boom. We were off. It has been a very challenging and VERY rewarding journey. Lots of ups and downs. Those of you who were using the old forum software... You know what we're talking about. :tearsofjoy::flushed::fearscream:

And just because I'm waxing nostalgic... Here are some of my favorite Overland Bound behind the scenes moments:

- Driving to 5 different stores in Flagstaff, AZ trying to find a Verizon Hotspot because there was ZERO AT&T reception at Mormon Lake during the Overland Expo and we couldn't post anything to social.
- Driving BACK into Flagstaff, AZ from the Overland Expo because the site crashed (again), and Michael worked for hours on the phone with a new hosting team to migrate the site to a new server.
- Michael crawling into bed at 4:30AM on a weeknight, and the only thing he said to me was, "New forums are live. Don't let me sleep in."

My husband is the driving force of this business and community. (Yes, it is both. No apologies.) We are already planning into 2016 and beyond. It's super f*cking rad, and we can't WAIT!

High fives and hugs to the OB community! :laughing:

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

You guys are awesome, don't sweat it. I work for John Deere, trust me, you will grow thick skin to it. Hardest part is accepting that you CANNOT please everyone. I am not a commissioned salesman so I am not the "pushy" type, you know, the stereotypical "salesman". I genuinely care about my customer, as I am sure you do about your members. It takes some getting used to. People will get mad at you over things that make no sense at all. Just dust off and carry on!

God Bless!

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
A big reason I'm in is because of this kind of passion. I've been around long enough to see it wane, and I don't see that happening with Michael and Corrie. Whatever I can do, please ask.
Dan

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Michael

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

I am not a big forum person, I've posted more here in the few days I have been on here than all the forums I have been on before. The ones I have been on the people are not very open to new people engaging in the conversation, someone like me has no place in it because I haven't been around forever. Yes, this forum does have a bit of a steep learning curve to get with the program but it works well and the people involved in it seem to be here for all the right reasons and are eager to talk to everyone. You guys have done a very good job of creating this forum but I would like to make sure we give part of the credit (without dismissing any of your efforts) to the users who create and maintain an open and friendly atmosphere. This is a very good example of it takes a community to raise a child.

Having only been associated with OB for the past few days, I can't comment on many things but what I have seen so far looks impressive. Keep pushing forward.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

You guys rock.

- Driving to 5 different stores in Flagstaff, AZ trying to find a Verizon Hotspot because there was ZERO AT&T reception at Mormon Lake during the Overland Expo and we couldn't post anything to social.
Wilson repeater with the 37" trucker antenna.

It's the first antenna, over the driver's b-pillar. Even before the antenna upgrade, with the crappy little mag mount antenna we got about a 6db gain and had 3G in The Basin in Big Bend for the first time ever.

image.jpg

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I agree with @RescueRangers, I'm not a big forum guy, I like a lot about this online community, it's not dedicated to one make or model, no one is bashing other people's diy builds, everyone shares ideas and the common passion of vehicle based adventure by whatever means you have. A lot of that comes down to how the site is ran and presented by Mr and Mrs Overlandbound.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I agree with @RescueRangers, I'm not a big forum guy, I like a lot about this online community, it's not dedicated to one make or model, no one is bashing other people's diy builds, everyone shares ideas and the common passion of vehicle based adventure by whatever means you have. A lot of that comes down to how the site is ran and presented by Mr and Mrs Overlandbound.
Many online communities have the cool kid crowd, it isn't enough to have the same "required" cool kid gear, but it takes a god like blessing to be accepted into the ironic cliche. That isn't limited to overlanders, it exists in every sub-genre of our society. In the 11 years I spent as a very active skydiver I was a member of a huge online community much the same and what do you know, it had the celebrities too. Except that many of them died skydiving. The same with HAM groups, author groups, photography groups...the list is endless.

I agree that here we have a nice community of like minded people, spread across many aspects of the subculture, but we have to be mindful to refrain from raising any certain person or group onto the platform of "the in group" for that is when the sense of community dies. There will always be someone who is awesome but can't afford the cool kid gear just as there will be someone who has all the gear and isn't a good person. The difference can't be drawn from the staff, the difference is drawn in the sand by the community members. So it is up to us to keep the community spirit as welcoming and open as it is now for future members.

We are all voyagers for adventure, lands unknown and places unseen, but as the original voyagers, fur trappers and mountain men, still had community and rendezvous, we have the Internet and passion shared. It is our calling to keep it, share, teach, welcome and help any who knock.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

... but we have to be mindful to refrain from raising any certain person or group onto the platform of "the in group" for that is when the sense of community dies.
Amen and Hallelujah! I have been through this so many times on mailing lists and forums. When the community is small, it is tight-knit, polite, well-mannered, etc. Eventually, as it grows, bullies, the grandiose know-it-all, or similar folk wander in and spoil it for everyone. Or cliques form amongst the core group that have all the in jokes and don't associate with "newbs". It always happens, and it is always size related. There are probably 50ish of us participating on a somewhat regular basis, but when there are 250 or 500, it will not be the same. The best we can do is to try to avoid the pitfalls, as Dave so eloquently stated, and never forget that we were all new here, once.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

@administrator I really enjoy your videos and your style of communication. It is part of why this community has built the way it has. I think you can build up OB and even make it a bit more commercial if you need to without becoming something like the other youtube channels with high production value and non-stop sponsors. Keep it simple and fun. If at some point you don't feel like you can take a trip or do something you would have done in the really early days of OB, because of OB, then it is time to stop and figure out how to reduce the complexity.

It is a community.. so ask for help if you need it. I know a lot of us are willing to help out.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

mbwesner, would you be referring to Expedition Overland? I started watching those folks but quickly lost interest, too corporate. The OB videos are very good, much more "I am figuring it out as I go too". (I actually started watching them before I ran across OB, thought it was just some guy and his girl out on the weekend)

If I may, would like to see a pinch more "travel log" information on the sites you explore, help us slim down our wish list to something reasonable. And, as many "how to's" as you want. Can't have too many of them . . . when you have time of course.

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Haters are gonna hate, supports are gonna support.
I'm all in.
Exactly, You are one of the good guys Michael, don't forget it..
This is a young forum / club started by a nice regular guy. Most of us appreciate that and understand it- that's why a lot of us are here.

lol, at the member who wants all their posts deleted; 'Hi, we are the Internet. Have we met?"

Drift

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midwest
First Name
DJ
Last Name
Drift
Member #

A lot sure has changed since I last logged in.... Trophies, premium membership fees?, lots more activity, special banners (don't know what they look like), website looks better. I guess I missed out on some drama lol. I had a hard time logging in to the forum portion of the website for some reason, not sure why. Reset my password and all is good now. Overall seems to be getting better though. But I don't know about that Jordan Moderator guy, I've heard a few things about him.

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Wilson repeater with the 37" trucker antenna.

It's the first antenna, over the driver's b-pillar. Even before the antenna upgrade, with the crappy little mag mount antenna we got about a 6db gain and had 3G in The Basin in Big Bend for the first time ever.

View attachment 657
Well there you go @CorrieOB ! Nice.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Ant the community keeps it that way. Overland Bound would not be Overland Bound without you. Thank you.

M

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@administrator I really enjoy your videos and your style of communication. It is part of why this community has built the way it has. I think you can build up OB and even make it a bit more commercial if you need to without becoming something like the other youtube channels with high production value and non-stop sponsors. Keep it simple and fun. If at some point you don't feel like you can take a trip or do something you would have done in the really early days of OB, because of OB, then it is time to stop and figure out how to reduce the complexity.

It is a community.. so ask for help if you need it. I know a lot of us are willing to help out.
Thank you so much. The offer is heartfelt, and I will remember when the time comes.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
mbwesner, would you be referring to Expedition Overland? I started watching those folks but quickly lost interest, too corporate. The OB videos are very good, much more "I am figuring it out as I go too". (I actually started watching them before I ran across OB, thought it was just some guy and his girl out on the weekend)

If I may, would like to see a pinch more "travel log" information on the sites you explore, help us slim down our wish list to something reasonable. And, as many "how to's" as you want. Can't have too many of them . . . when you have time of course.
Very good reminder for me. I know those topics are important. I've been cataloging our trips and Google Earth routes oto the forums. Trip video's take a lot of time. How-to videos I can bang out pretty quickly. I need to do more.

M

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Exactly, You are one of the good guys Michael, don't forget it..
This is a young forum / club started by a nice regular guy. Most of us appreciate that and understand it- that's why a lot of us are here.

lol, at the member who wants all their posts deleted; 'Hi, we are the Internet. Have we met?"
Love this. Thanks.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
A lot sure has changed since I last logged in.... Trophies, premium membership fees?, lots more activity, special banners (don't know what they look like), website looks better. I guess I missed out on some drama lol. I had a hard time logging in to the forum portion of the website for some reason, not sure why. Reset my password and all is good now. Overall seems to be getting better though. But I don't know about that Jordan Moderator guy, I've heard a few things about him.
Hey @Drift We really do try to keep the drama to a minimum. I think we're pretty good at it. I didn't help. Had a bad week. :) It's good to see you. The premium memberships are voluntary. Its just to support the cause, but certainly not required. I'd love to get your thoughts here or in a PM. What you like/don't like etc. Welcome back!