HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
This may come across as a silly question, however if I purchase a Premium Membership, it will work across both Android and Apple platforms correct? I prefer Samsung phones but we have a little used iPad in our home that I plan to commandeer for trail use. LOL
Yes it will. I use an android to track trips while my wife makes sure I'm going where we planned [emoji41]

Dseck63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

What size memory card are you guys using for downloaded maps? I exceeded my 32g factory memory rather quickly since the os takes so much to run.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I was going to try Gaia out on an older iPad just to see how different the experience is compared to Android but it appears you have to run iOS 10.0 or above. Bummer!

Snic8156

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

North Dakota, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
S
Member #

Hey everyone. Complete newb here, as it is my first day on this forum. I'd consider myself a tech geek, and reading through a couple of threads I keep seeing people trying to find the best compromise between handheld gps, tablets with Gaia, etc.

Forgive me if I've missed it, but I wanted to confirm that I own a Garmin Overlander and it can run Gaia too. I'm not sure that many folks realized this, but in addition to the built in apps, I really think it can serve as a true one size solution for most people, albeit expensive. Now if only In Reach was built in...

I think I'll mention this in the Overlander thread as well for folks that may be on the fence on their next setup.

Reactions: dstock

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hey everyone. Complete newb here, as it is my first day on this forum. I'd consider myself a tech geek, and reading through a couple of threads I keep seeing people trying to find the best compromise between handheld gps, tablets with Gaia, etc.

Forgive me if I've missed it, but I wanted to confirm that I own a Garmin Overlander and it can run Gaia too. I'm not sure that many folks realized this, but in addition to the built in apps, I really think it can serve as a true one size solution for most people, albeit expensive. Now if only In Reach was built in...

I think I'll mention this in the Overlander thread as well for folks that may be on the fence on their next setup.
Good to know. I still prefer the iOS version to Android but everyone is different. When I watched one of the XOverland videos I personally found it comical to see them to attempt to plan/review anything on the small screen. Maybe there is a computer based component.

I love Gaia on a larger tablet. When I travel with groups it’s easy to share the map on a larger screen.

Only thing a stand alone GPS IMHO is offline road maps. I use MapsMe but it tends to not keep maps current when I need them. Otherwise it is ok as a quick gut check on mileage and pavement route.

Reactions: Snic8156

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Can a Garmin Overlander be connected to a Ham to report ARPS so you can see other overlanders in your group on the screen? I ask because this can be done with IOS running GAIA and a gps enabled Ham Radio like the Yaesu FTM-400XDR or so I have been told.

Snic8156

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

North Dakota, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
S
Member #

Can a Garmin Overlander be connected to a Ham to report ARPS so you can see other overlanders in your group on the screen? I ask because this can be done with IOS running GAIA and a gps enabled Ham Radio like the Yaesu FTM-400XDR or so I have been told.
I don't know how Android functionality differs from iOS and my ham is not GPS enabled. I have been successful in connecting other items to the Overlander such as my obd ii scanner over Bluetooth using jscan. If your ham connects via Bluetooth, you may be in luck.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Good to know. I still prefer the iOS version to Android but everyone is different. When I watched one of the XOverland videos I personally found it comical to see them to attempt to plan/review anything on the small screen. Maybe there is a computer based component.

I love Gaia on a larger tablet. When I travel with groups it’s easy to share the map on a larger screen.

Only thing a stand alone GPS IMHO is offline road maps. I use MapsMe but it tends to not keep maps current when I need them. Otherwise it is ok as a quick gut check on mileage and pavement route.
I would assume the Garmin Basecamp software works with the Overlander the same as with other Garmin nav units and you can do all your pre-planning on the computer and then download it to the Overlander.

Reactions: 1Louder

Booboodmb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Center Barnstead, Barnstead, NH, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Palmieri
Member #

Recent issue I’m having and hoping someone might know.

On my Mac I created a number of routes and they display on the main map. However, if I log onto the app on my iPad or my phone, these tracks do not display on the map even though the same tracks are in the saved folder and selected to be viewed on the map.

Any ideas?

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

On my Mac I created a number of routes and they display on the main map. However, if I log onto the app on my iPad or my phone, these tracks do not display on the map even though the same tracks are in the saved folder and selected to be viewed on the map.

Any ideas?
I have seen some pinch and zoom issues. Where the tracks will disappear for some reason if the zoom level is closer. Not sure why. Try to zoom out and see if the track shows up again. I have to send a bug report to Gaia about this.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
It’s my experience with Gaia GPS on my iPad or iPhone that if I haven’t opened it in a while, it takes a long time to update my downloaded base maps. If it is not syncing, it may be updating. Eventually it will work itself out. You just have to let it update.
You can check the last time it synced by clicking settings/account/last sync.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran

Any ideas?
I‘m having the same issue and can’t make sense of it. Originally I thought it was just my oldest routes which were made before the app changed years ago but then I noticed some of my newest routes have disappeared as well. Oddly enough the waypoints are still visible.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
if it says that you are up to date on your tablet (last sync), maybe start a help ticket with gaia.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Reactions: 1Louder

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Received a potential solution for you @Booboodmb...

Apparently in a recent app update they separated routes and tracks in the map overlay. The solution is to tap the Layers icon, tap Map Overlay, and toggle on routes. I don't know why they did this change but once you do that a simple restart of the app will hopefully take care of your issue.

Reactions: DevilDodge