Ask About Gaia GPS!

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

1Louder

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
So maybe this app really isn't for me, I was playing with the app before paying for the subscription and I was thinking that once I pay for the subscription that it would be what I needed.
You can request a refund from Gaia and I am sure you will receive one. They are very customer service oriented. Just be warned I don't think the $700 Garmin device gives turn by turn. I have no interest in it so I am no expert on the product but many initial reviews were not favorable.

As others have stated I don't need turn by turn on trails either. Having a track someone else has recorded is nice and make life the easiest but creating waypoints at key turns is just as easy.

Dseck63

Rank I

Contributor II

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

I have a bit more of an understanding now myself after reading all of this. Not having a turn by turn capability though is one thing, however the issue I'm having is while I'm in the learning and testing phases at moment I can see my speed/distance are not being logged by the icon indicating where I'm at is. I have an ipad 4 mini with gps/wifi capability but no cell service and tried this on multiple maps I downloaded with the same result. Is there something I'm not highlighting or clicking before driving that I should? The time is being logged from the time I click record but that's about it.

Slimpartywagon

US Northwest Regional Member Rep, Oregon

Influencer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

I have a bit more of an understanding now myself after reading all of this. Not having a turn by turn capability though is one thing, however the issue I'm having is while I'm in the learning and testing phases at moment I can see my speed/distance are not being logged by the icon indicating where I'm at is. I have an ipad 4 mini with gps/wifi capability but no cell service and tried this on multiple maps I downloaded with the same result. Is there something I'm not highlighting or clicking before driving that I should? The time is being logged from the time I click record but that's about it.
Are you using the free trial, or the paid version? This seams like you are running the trial version. Do you see your marker move as you are driving, or is it stuck somewhere on the map?

1Louder

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
If you don’t have a 3G/LTE iPad you don’t have a built in GPS. If you have a 3G/LTE iPad but have not paid to have mobile service you do have the GPS. There is no such thing as a WiFi/GPS iPad.

Does the marker move with you when driving or do you have to manually move the map? If you are manually moving the map you don’t have GPS or it is not working properly.Thus you wouldn’t get any speed or distance indications.

Reactions: Turnerxc

Dseck63

Rank I

Contributor II

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

Are you using the free trial, or the paid version? This seams like you are running the trial version. Do you see your marker move as you are driving, or is it stuck somewhere on the map?
I have the paid version, I bought a one year subscription

If you don’t have a 3G/LTE iPad you don’t have a built in GPS. If you have a 3G/LTE iPad but have not paid to have mobile service you do have the GPS. There is no such thing as a WiFi/GPS iPad.

Does the marker move with you when driving or do you have to manually move the map? If you are manually moving the map you don’t have GPS or it is not working properly.Thus you wouldn’t get any speed or distance indications.
So when I’m driving I am moving, it picks me up on the map however it does not follow me on the map. I’m driving off and need to zero in on my own again. I’m using the iPad I was issued at work so no real loss there. It’s tied in with an iPhone XR I was issued that provides wifi provided a signal is available.

Dseck63

Rank I

Contributor II

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

And, for clarification's sake, if you DO NOT have a 3g/LTE iPad, you can buy a Bluetooth GPS receiver for a lot cheaper than the cost of a new tablet with a cellular antenna.

I use and recommend a Garmin GLO II.
Not sure if it’s the same but it does have a location access I can toggle on/off. It did not label it as “gps” though.

I suppose I can go to Best Buy and look into the device that you have.

Reactions: Slimpartywagon

Bama_Kiwi

Rank IV
Supporter

Enthusiast III

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Not sure if it’s the same but it does have a location access I can toggle on/off. It did not label it as “gps” though.

I suppose I can go to Best Buy and look into the device that you have.
Does your iPad have a black plastic bar across the top, on the back? If yes, you have a cellular model with GPS antenna. If not, you don't.

1578986804258.png

1Louder

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
Does your iPad have a black plastic bar across the top, on the back? If yes, you have a cellular model with GPS antenna. If not, you don't.

View attachment 135217
Just an FYI the iPad 11 Pro I own does not have said bar. There is the sim card port on the lower right.

Also for new folks always start with with 1st and 2nd post in this thread. A lot of the initial questions are addressed there. I edit it as required.

I don't think I have this tidbit but will add it.

If you have a wifi only iPad and are sitting with a wifi connection your iPad will likely target your location via wifi triangulation. You can see this is Apple maps, Google Maps, Gaia, etc. Hop in your vehicle and then see what happens. Tethering to your phones hotspot will not work. Pretty much any Bluetooth GPS receiver will work including the Garmin InReach. Dual GPS, Garmin Glo, and Bad Elf are popular options.

How can you tell? The easiest way is look for the sim card port on your iPad.

The next easiest may is go to Settings: About: look for Model Name (3 down from the top) Google your model name and you will find your answer. For example: mu162ll/a specs that is my iPad Pro Wifi/LTE model.

Last edited:

Dseck63

Rank I

Contributor II

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

It sounds like you are just pinging off cellular/wifi, not getting actual GPS coordinates.
Yeah that was exactly what was happening. I would feel cheated if I paid for it but since it's my jobs iPad decided to go to AT&T today and get what will work for me. Samsung Tab A it is.. Thanks guys I'm sure I'll be back here soon as I continue learning more about this app