Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Center Barnstead, Barnstead, NH, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Palmieri
Member #

Received a potential solution for you @Booboodmb...

Apparently in a recent app update they separated routes and tracks in the map overlay. The solution is to tap the Layers icon, tap Map Overlay, and toggle on routes. I don't know why they did this change but once you do that a simple restart of the app will hopefully take care of your issue.
That was it! Thanks!!!!

LCerva

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Brooklyn, NY, USA
First Name
Lorenzo
Last Name
Cerva
Member #

Hi everyone,
I started using Gaia on my first off road trip. So I recorded my trail with the app. I wanted to know how to link Gaia files. I downloaded it as a GPX but am not really sure what I’m doing. How do I link files here for all to use?

thanks
Lorenzo

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

First off let me apologize if this has been ask before. This thresd is so extensive it's becoming hard to search. Question, how much memory or space do I need on my Ipad to effectivly run GAIA? wife has and Ipad6 with 32 ram. Thanks in advance, Barney

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
More memory means more maps downloaded. it should work as is.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
More memory means more maps downloaded. it should work as is.
This is a good answer. You just won’t be able to download multiple full states. Don’t forget if you have an existing track you can tell Gaia to download maps for the track. Much smaller download sizes. I believe it downloads the map approximately 4 miles either side of the track.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
How do you download your routes as just .gpx? Mine are coming out as .gpx.xml...
Where are you trying to download your routes from?

You should be able to rename your files .gpx and have them work.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Where are you trying to download your routes from?

You should be able to rename your files .gpx and have them work.
Download from Gaia to post up here. I just tried a .KML and that comes out clean. I'll try renaming.. Heck I'll try right here.
Well, looks like the .kml works fine. Can't seem to rename the .gpx.xml though. Hopefully folks can use .kml as easily.

Attachments

Last edited:

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Download from Gaia to post up here. I just tried a .KML and that comes out clean. I'll try renaming.. Heck I'll try right here.
Well, looks like the .kml works fine. Can't seem to rename the .gpx.xml though. Hopefully folks can use .kml as easily.
Worked it out.. On a Mac it's go to Get Info and change the extension there..

Reactions: Prerunner1982

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I just posted an article on my site on how we plan trips using Gaia GPS. Feel free to comment. The article will probably evolve with future edits.

Nicely done. You may wish to add what I went through for those that haven't exported as .gpx... Don't think I saw it on your write-up. It exports as .gpx.xml and has to be renamed to work for everyone by dropping the .xml. Finder > right click > Get Info > rename > except change

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I have another.. Here I've learned to make folders from my routes to tracks. I do like this and what's possible going the way! What I do/don't see is two part.

First is: When I open the folder I get just those tracks/routes, but none of my waypoints..

Second is: When I click for full screen I gat my waypoints, but I get all my waypoints and routes/tracks..

There's probably a tutorial on it out there somewhere.. Can you hook a brother up to it?

Lower coastal is the run I'm working with. Upper red is another's route I'm reviewing and not in the folder.. rather I wasn't showing.
Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 10.18.52 AM.png

This is how crazy my NH map now looks in full screen.. Has to be a way to hide routes/tracks.

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 10.31.16 AM.png

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have another.. Here I've learned to make folders from my routes to tracks. I do like this and what's possible going the way! What I do/don't see is two part.

First is: When I open the folder I get just those tracks/routes, but none of my waypoints..

Second is: When I click for full screen I gat my waypoints, but I get all my waypoints and routes/tracks..

There's probably a tutorial on it out there somewhere.. Can you hook a brother up to it?

Lower coastal is the run I'm working with. Upper red is another's route I'm reviewing and not in the folder.. rather I wasn't showing.
View attachment 140128

This is how crazy my NH map now looks in full screen.. Has to be a way to hide routes/tracks.

View attachment 140129
I’m on my phone so I will cleanup the massive quote later.

Are your waypoints in the same folder?

You can toggle on and off your tracks etc in the left Toolbar above the map layers you have selected. This should turn off the unrelated tracks and still show the data from the folder you are in.

If I am misunderstanding what you are asking I will just have to review this later.

In the mobile apps you can individually toggle specific tracks on and off.

Reactions: M Rose

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I’m on my phone so I will cleanup the massive quote later.

Are your waypoints in the same folder?

You can toggle on and off your tracks etc in the left Toolbar above the map layers you have selected. This should turn off the unrelated tracks and still show the data from the folder you are in.

If I am misunderstanding what you are asking I will just have to review this later.

In the mobile apps you can individually toggle specific tracks on and off.
Hmm.. I doubt the waypoints are in the folder especially if I have to put them there. I assumed that if you made waypoints while making a route they would be part of.. So, haven't a clue if they are...

Toggle on or off makes all the waypoints disappear, including the ones I want.. Tried messing with a few on/offs.

Hmm.. If you can turn on and off tracks on the mobile, then I should be able to on my laptop. At least ya'd think so.

I'm working on my laptop for ease and screen size. I'm heading out in a bit and will play a bit with my mobile and see is I can on that.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hmm.. I doubt the waypoints are in the folder especially if I have to put them there. I assumed that if you made waypoints while making a route they would be part of.. So, haven't a clue if they are...

Toggle on or off makes all the waypoints disappear, including the ones I want.. Tried messing with a few on/offs.

Hmm.. If you can turn on and off tracks on the mobile, then I should be able to on my laptop. At least ya'd think so.

I'm working on my laptop for ease and screen size. I'm heading out in a bit and will play a bit with my mobile and see is I can on that.
3A5FCA9E-7470-4649-90A3-DB05A774FB2A.png

Every time you add a waypoint on your mobile device it will ask you what folder to put it in. Once you change the folder future waypoints should default to that same folder. I am not sure about the online version.

Reactions: rkerr188

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Gets a bit tougher on the online version, yet found it again with your help. Once the waypoint is created, I clicked details and from there you get the opportunity to place it in a folder!

Whoa! One part worked out.

Reactions: 1Louder and M Rose

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Carplay was released out of beta and is now in the latest Gaia GPS update. New radio going in soon.

Reactions: M Rose

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign