Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Any recommendations for dispersed camping that will hołd four vehicles and maybe have some running water. Anywhere near Payson.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Any recommendations for dispersed camping that will hołd four vehicles and maybe have some running water. Anywhere near Payson.
Hagler Creek has water but is not dispersed. There is another campground that is near by, I forget the name, and is free. It was also disgusting the last time I was there. Trash and toilet paper everywhere. You would likely be the only folks there. Otherwise plenty of dispersed around the area but I don't know of any with water. Others might. Apps like Gaia are cool because they will show you if the land is BLM or private and you may be able to discover something on your own viewing satellite images and land ownership data.

Reactions: tritonl

Copperstate_Wayfarer

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Rafeal
Last Name
Vera
Member #

Hagler Creek has water but is not dispersed. There is another campground that is near by, I forget the name, and is free. It was also disgusting the last time I was there. Trash and toilet paper everywhere. You would likely be the only folks there. Otherwise plenty of dispersed around the area but I don't know of any with water. Others might. Apps like Gaia are cool because they will show you if the land is BLM or private and you may be able to discover something on your own viewing satellite images and land ownership data.
Try of off Rim Road towards Chevelon Canyon Lake near Payson! Plenty of dispersed camping areas and great spot to explore! You can hike down to the lake or cruise around to the other creeks. There is a first come first serve campground at the north western section of the lake that has restrooms. Every time I’ve gone during early summer I see very few people there.

Copperstate_Wayfarer

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Rafeal
Last Name
Vera
Member #

Hey everyone, I got a bit eager and posted a reply before introducing myself. Lol

My name is Rafeal, I joined the OB community during the Overland Expo! I’m excited to see the team out on the trails. I consider myself somewhat of an experienced novice, always interested in learning and exploring new places. I just recently moved into So Phx from Chandler (gated community). I went to college at NAU so I’ve explored a little bit of the state. I have a passion for prospecting for trout so that frequently keeps me off the beaten path. My enabler is currently a ‘18 Trd OR Taco 6MT.

I work a weird schedule but I look forward to meeting you all and making some new friends! I would like to make it out to the next meet and greet!

FJTalon

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Vaughn
Last Name
Price
Member #

Hello everyone! I joined at Overland Expo West 2019. I had been thinking about it since last year's Overland Expo and after watching MANY Overland Bound and others videos I did (Mbr No.18617). Looking forward to meeting you all on the trails one day. I drive a pretty much stock 2007 FJ Cruiser I call the Battlestar Talon or Talon for short, which we bought in 2017. My wife and I have only done a few runs and 3 camping trips so far. I want to just get on a dirt road and see what is out there. That is our motto: "Let's see what's out there!" I have some armor on the bottom and did the scuba mod and mostly small mods to make the Talon uniquely mine. I am getting ready to go to the FJ Summit next month (Anyone going?). Really looking forward to that!

Attachments

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
FYI - Some loser started a fire near the Montana Mountain trail. 5,000 acres and growing. Great job...
This is the fire you can see from Phoenix to the east. It is right on the north edge of the trail/forest road. My guess someone who just had to have a campfire when it is 90 degrees out and doesn't know how to or care to put it out properly.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

The smoke was bad at my house last night from this fire. I hope they get a handle on it soon.

A few weeks ago we were looking for camp spots off of 288 and came across two fires people left. We used 2/3 of our water putting out other people’s fires. After seeing that I’m all for burn restrictions.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
The smoke was bad at my house last night from this fire. I hope they get a handle on it soon.

A few weeks ago we were looking for camp spots off of 288 and came across two fires people left. We used 2/3 of our water putting out other people’s fires. After seeing that I’m all for burn restrictions.
This is why I always bring extra water and don't pour it out until I get back home and can give it to my trees. Too many irresponsible morons. I am sure an all out ban will be forthcoming.

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
I’m going to say it was most likely started by someone shooting out there. That’s how this fire started off the trail in April...

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I’m going to say it was most likely started by someone shooting out there. That’s how this fire started off the trail in April...

This one is up in the higher elevations so I don't think it was shooting. But you never know....

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Here's a friendly reminder that the Tucson-area Overland Bound meetup is next Thursday evening:

We'll be at Button Brew House from 6-8pm Thursday June 20th.