desertpir8

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7NVF
How do you guys in Arizona deal with the heat when camping? I am considering moving in the next few years to a new place and Arizona is on my list but I'm not to sure about the heat.
Fortunately, half of Arizona is actually fairly mountainous and is full of high altitude locations. There are 29 summits above 10,000ft here. There are locations within 1-2 hour drive of Phoenix where you can get up in the 6,000-7,000 ft range. Go further north and you can be at 8,000+. Very comfortable temperatures, even when camping in the summer. That said, I tend to avoid camping in the lower desert in the summer. Unless you have an HVAC setup and a generator, it is pretty miserable. Lower desert camping in the winter, high elevation camping in the summer.

desertpir8

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7NVF
RE: Overland Expo West.. Its looking like I'll be headed up to the general expo area Wednesday mid day. Was going to be headed up Thursday, but decided an extra day off work and a peaceful night of camping in the woods sounded much better before the chaos of the expo. If anyone is interested in doing a caravan up there from northeast mesa (or anywhere on the route) on Wednesday, I'll likely be leaving about 11am and will be monitoring CB channel 16. I'll be travelling west on Loop 202 red mtn to 101 north to I17 then up to Flag. Look for the "Reiver", a huge white 4x4 E-350 window van on 35s.

I'll likely look for a dispersed camp spot northwest of the venue for the night on Wednesday. Planning on a nice lazy morning on Thursday, breaking camp around 9-10a and roll into the expo to be near first in line for checkin at 11am.

Engine_24

Rank III

Contributor III

Buckeye, Arizona, USA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Moore
RE: Overland Expo West.. Its looking like I'll be headed up to the general expo area Wednesday mid day. Was going to be headed up Thursday, but decided an extra day off work and a peaceful night of camping in the woods sounded much better before the chaos of the expo. If anyone is interested in doing a caravan up there from northeast mesa (or anywhere on the route) on Wednesday, I'll likely be leaving about 11am and will be monitoring CB channel 16. I'll be travelling west on Loop 202 red mtn to 101 north to I17 then up to Flag. Look for the "Reiver", a huge white 4x4 E-350 window van on 35s.

I'll likely look for a dispersed camp spot northwest of the venue for the night on Wednesday. Planning on a nice lazy morning on Thursday, breaking camp around 9-10a and roll into the expo to be near first in line for checkin at 11am.
I’ll be heading up Thursday morning if you wanna try and camp together Thursday somewhere

Reactions: desertpir8

desertpir8

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7NVF
I'll be in the expo camp area Thursday night, so will see you there if youll be camping onsite at the expo. Happy to share campsite with anyone. I'll be in line to checkin and get a campsite at 11am on thursday morning.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Hi All! New member here, and wanted to say hello to the Arizona crew.
From the midwest now in AZ
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Z71 & 2005 Willys Jeep Wrangler

Spent most of my time getting lost in Colorado, Utah, and Arizona.

Cheers
Those are the best places to get lost exploring :)

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
How do you guys in Arizona deal with the heat when camping? I am considering moving in the next few years to a new place and Arizona is on my list but I'm not to sure about the heat.
In the extreme heat of summer, we all head up north to anywhere that is above 6,000 ft elevation. So, 1 - 2 hrs from Phoenix and it will be much cooler by about 15 - 20 degrees in the daytime. It's only hot outside so stay inside the vehicle and run your a/c, drink plenty of fluids and you will be fine. Most trail rides in the summer will be in the early mornings, too.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
You will get used (spelled right?) to it. I thouhgt I would die first summer in middle east, was not issue by end of summer and ended up spending 7 of them there.....

Drinks tons of water, pure water not flavor water, wehn your pee looks clear you have had enough, if not, you aint had enough. Shade is your friend, big hats, and nike long sleeve evap shirts....

Jim

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Have fun to all those headed to expo. Was planning to go again his year but one of my best friends from out state grabbed a quick flight out for the weekend so I will be staying in the valley.

If anyone is gonna be posting pics on IG or the like, drop your @userrname

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

Here ya go:
INAL MEET UP POINT - 8:45 / PULL OUT 8:50 - 2 h 15 min (149 mi) TO END POINT
TA TRUCK STOP
946 W Beale St, Kingman, AZ
l see you there....

Jim
I am here
Any of you guys wanting to get a group together me and my friend are leaving Thursday might head up to crown king (the easier way) and take senator highway to prescott. Should make the trip pretty fun. Planning on camping in flag Thursday and Friday to attend the expo Friday and then gonna head north to camp close to the Grand Canyon. If anyone is interested let me know!
Hi Jim, do you have a Ralley Point for camping at the GC after the expo Friday? I am currently at the Expo camping area.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
IF your going south rim I would go to the new Desert View campground, I love it there...It is first come first serve, fills by noon they say, but I been there all day and they had openings, but dont count on that.... No hook ups. $12 a night, plenty of room, full plumed bathrooms, outdoor dish washing sink. Close to GREAT canyon view spots and they have nightly lectures within walking distance, rangers walk around nightly to invite you. Real nice.

are you looking dispersed? Full hook ups? North rim?

Jim

DharmaInitiativePhoenix

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix AZ
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Szopinski
Member #

We will be heading up to Expo from North Phoenix tomorrow morning, doing the one day pass and camping somewhere dispersed in the surrounding area. If your heading up from Phoenix, or will be traveling up the I-17 and would be interested in meeting up, shoot me a PM. Just myself and the wife on this trip. Look forward to meeting / seeing some of you again!

Reactions: Razrrila99

Razrrila99

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Comer
Member #

We will be heading up to Expo from North Phoenix tomorrow morning, doing the one day pass and camping somewhere dispersed in the surrounding area. If your heading up from Phoenix, or will be traveling up the I-17 and would be interested in meeting up, shoot me a PM. Just myself and the wife on this trip. Look forward to meeting / seeing some of you again!
What time time you planning on heading up? My plans are on the road no later than 630a, either picking up 101 at Cave Creek or I17 at Happy Valley.

DharmaInitiativePhoenix

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix AZ
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Szopinski
Member #

What time time you planning on heading up? My plans are on the road no later than 630a, either picking up 101 at Cave Creek or I17 at Happy Valley.
This is a super last minute trip for us. We decided to go this morning, so we're still planning our departure. I don't think we will be able to make 6:30 unfortunately. Do you have a camp site worked out yet?

Razrrila99

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Comer
Member #

This is a super last minute trip for us. We decided to go this morning, so we're still planning our departure. I don't think we will be able to make 6:30 unfortunately. Do you have a camp site worked out yet?
This is purely a day trip for me. Biggest reason Im leaving as early as I am, is Im not camping to go in on Sunday.

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Any one heading somewhere interesting during this long weekend? We are thinking driving out to Sheeps Bridge.