Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Hagedorn
Member #

Hi All! New member here, and wanted to say hello to the Arizona crew.
From the midwest now in AZ
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Z71 & 2005 Willys Jeep Wrangler

Spent most of my time getting lost in Colorado, Utah, and Arizona.

Cheers

Attachments

Razrrila99

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Comer
Member #

Cheers
From a fellow Midwesterner - Welcome to the inferno haha. Great looking Silverado!

Reactions: Hagz & the Hounds

samsara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glendale, Az
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Winham
Member #

Cheers
I too have a 2015 Silverado 2500 as well as a 2000 Jeep Wrangler [emoji2]. I prefer to use the Silverado for overland type stuff because it’s more comfortable and plenty capable. If interested, give me a shout, we’ll do a little exploring.

Reactions: Graeman

Hagz & the Hounds

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Hagedorn
Member #

I too have a 2015 Silverado 2500 as well as a 2000 Jeep Wrangler [emoji2]. I prefer to use the Silverado for overland type stuff because it’s more comfortable and plenty capable. If interested, give me a shout, we’ll do a little exploring.
I'm in the same boat when it comes to what vehicle I use. The truck is a bit more of a pack mule compared to the little Jeep.
We'll have to plan a trip. Unfortunately I'll miss the expo due to some weddings, but should be able to get some trips in this summer and full.

Cheers

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO

Cheers
Welcome! We have so much public land to explore around our beautiful state! You're gonna love it here!

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
How do you guys in Arizona deal with the heat when camping? I am considering moving in the next few years to a new place and Arizona is on my list but I'm not to sure about the heat.
The best way to beat the heat for summer camping is to head up into the higher elevations. Down here in Southern Arizona we have what are called "Sky Islands" which are isolated mountains that pop up well above the desert floor and are spread out all over the southern strip of the state. We spend the day exploring around the desert, looking at old mines, exploring new trails, etc. When it comes time to start looking for a place to camp, we head to the closest Sky Island and try to get as high up as we can. Generally, anything above 6-7k feet is nice and comfortable in the evenings. If you are in Phoenix you can head to Prescott N.F. or Flagstaff, or all the way up to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. I've heard that NM has milder summers than us, so driving east might also be a great option, like over to Gila N.F.

samsara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glendale, Az
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Winham
Member #

I’ll be at a wedding in flagstaff during the expo, hoping to get away on Sunday to check it out again.

Reactions: brien

Razrrila99

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Comer
Member #

Dont let the heat bother you moving out here in the least. Great options have been presented already. Moving out here from DFW you will think you are in heaven without that humidity. I moved from Kansas City, but have spent several weeks of summer visiting friends in DFW. Ive not camped in the summer yet, but hopefully with the Turtleback Ill be getting out more and more.

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
it’s nice and cool camping down in the canyon along the black river. A bit of a drive so staying several days would be recommended. I don’t think that’s much of a problem with this crowd [emoji6] We had to use a heater one night in the middle of July.

Last edited: