Any vegan overlanders out there?

• HTML tutorial

Ambulance911

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I am vegan and we did all of the USA vegan when we were in Mexico we tried to go vegan it is so cheap and easy. For vegan Mexico you can do tacos or gorditas with just beans and nopales or potato or onion or rice or avocado. We do lots of rice quinoa and veggies stir fry and lentils and all the stuff. All we had was a colman gasoline stove. And a cooler that didn't work haha. We lasted on that trip for 6 months like that.

coffeeshark

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
dawn
Last Name
mcclure
I'll post some of my vegan-modified recipes in a bit...just gotta get to my notebook.

Sorry! I just don't want to forget.

Although I will say, a good vegetable stock is indispensable, even for meat dishes. Just get your basic two-one-one of onion, carrot and celery, a good amount of bay, peppercorn, thyme and garlic, add fennel, leeks, coriander, fennel seed, and possibly whatever else you have, simmer one hour and there you go. Instant flavor.

Last edited:

ovherlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

AZ
First Name
Denise
Last Name
McCallum
Member #

As a new member, I just typed “vegan” into the search bar and was thrilled to see there are a few vegan members here!
I’m working on a new FB page where I plan to post vegan recipes with photos. I’ll be tagging those recipes & techniques that work especially for camping. Once I have it up I’ll come back and post a link for anyone interested.
Until then, here’s are a couple of my favorites from a trip last month...on the blue plate is my dinner of roasted potatoes, beets and carrots over a bed of greens, topped with pea sprouts and tahini dressing. And on the paper plate, a variety of veggies with parsley hummus, quinoa tabouli and some tasty olives.
Here’s the tabouli recipe:
2 cups cooked quinoa, chilled
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped
2 cucumbers, chopped
1 cup parsley, finely chopped (about 1/2 bunch)
1/2 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
juice of 2 medium lemons
1/2 red onion finely diced
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
*In a large bowl, combine the quinoa with the tomatoes, parsley, mint onion, and cucumber.
Add the olive oil and lemon juice.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This traveled well and stayed fresh in my cooler the entire 5 days of my trip and it packs a lot of fresh flavor.

IMG_6584.JPGIMG_6580.JPG

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

When we go out on the road, we have a cooler and not a fridge, so we stick to mostly vegan, with the exception of boxed eggs. But you could just do breakfast with tofu as a replacement.

Breakfast: Tofo, soyrezo, dehydrated hashbrowns, red onions, red bell peppers, and garlic. Sometimes we add a green tortilla for the people who need more filler.

Lunch: Walking tacos - Trader Joes lentils, fridos, red onion, red bell pepper, tomato, avocado, taco seasoning, and salsa.

Dinner: Ramen or couscous, dehydrated veggies (peas, carrots, onion, broccoli, sundry tomatoes, corn) with tofu, and seasonings. You can do curry, Italian, or my favorite Mrs. Dash.

Snacks: Raw nuts, nut and seed bars, dried fruit, fruit, I like to bring a big things of green juice.

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

My wife and kids are vegan, I eat mostly vegan with them so we are keeping an eye on this thread for ideas. We finally got a Coleman Triton stove which should help in cooking since last year everything was over the fire.

Reactions: AprilC

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

its ok you are not vegan and dont seem to care for it, but ... there are those of us who do.
I don’t get why people bother to leave those types of comments if the post doesn’t apply to them. Or scream “bacon” when someone doesn’t eat meat.

There are a lot of vegan camping recipes online. This is how we plan most of our vegan meals.

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

Me! I think my wife and I are the only ones.
Wife and I switched to WFPB (Whole Food Plant Based) eating 5.5 years ago to maximize health, vitality, and longevity. Only camped once since then, and prepared food in advance for sandwiches or heating. Will try to find/post some good recipes.

rustyhardwood

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Antrim, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Ferreira
Member #

What vegan meals do you prepare on the road? I have a Coleman propane stove, getting a fridge soon too in case of cold items needed.

Thanks!
You are not alone. I'm also vegan.
Ill post some recipe ideas later.
I often make a quick lunch using Lotus miso Ramen and plants i forage in the woods near where i may be parked.

Reactions: jeepdog33

Traveler I

I'm new here, but so glad to see we have a healthy, and welcoming, vegan section. I made a delicious meal with some simple ingredients.

- cherry tomatoes
- black beans, drained, if possible
- onions
- bell peppers
- Beyond crumbles (optional)
- cheez
- tortillas/taco shells

Put some oil in a sauté pan and halve your tomatoes. While prepping tomatoes, start cooking your onions and peppers. Toss in your tomatoes and beyond crumbles, if using. Add your black beans and toss with veggies. Sprinkle cheez over the top and cover so everything warms through and cheez melts. Once warmed, place in tortillas or taco shells and serve with rice and pico if you want. Enjoy!

Reactions: Schake

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I have tons of respect for anyone that can commit to something for moral, health or positive ideological reasons. I'm not vegan, but am definitly interested in any great recipes anyone has :P
I completely agree

haruspex84

Rank I

Contributor III

We're trying to significantly cut our meat consumption, out of health and environmental concerns, and I was absolutely floored by this chickpea salad recipe:

I highly suggest it...and all the recipes on that site. We were so impressed we ordered his cookbook as well.

Reactions: SCrunner and Boort

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

While I can see the health advantages of going Vegan, I know its not for me. However I could go mostly vegetarian as I love fresh fruits and veggies. I respect anyone that can commit to something like that.
For Camping/Overlanding I can see the advantage of Veggie/Vegan meals and would be interested in a list of good recipes.
Meat when not stored properly can get scary bad in a hurry. Veggies and fruit seem to be more tolerant of being stored without perfect conditions. I currently can't afford a full-on fridge.
So, not a Vegan, but still very interested in eating good food, so post up those recipes.

admpilot

Rank 0

Contributor I

Akron, OH, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Miller
First post. I actually jumped in this specific forum “kitchen, cooking, and recipes” looking to see if there were any vegan mentions.

My girlfriend Rachel and I are vegan primarily for the love of the animals and the environment. We also love camping, and when I first went vegan I was worried about meals while overlanding. Much to my delight, Rachel can whip up a delicious vegan meal out of practically anything. We drove from Ohio to the west coast and back on a Coleman 2 burner and her resourcefulness. We’ve been storing our food in some coolers up until now, I just took delivery of my ARB Elements fridge.

I wish I could contribute more to this thread, but she’s mostly the one cooking while I set up the tent.

I can tell ya that in the mornings we make coffee on our Bialetti Mocha Pot, we typically make some type of tofu scramble that consists of:
a potato chopped up, some green bell peppers, some spinach, and some tofu covered in some vegan hot sauce. We bring spices along of course and I think she uses about a dash of salt, pepper, and some turmeric. When we’ve got it on hand “Kala Namak” is a great type of salt that helps make an egg type of flavor. We’ll usually have some vegan butter to grease the skillet. Also, I haven’t tried it on the road yet, but look into “Just Egg”. It comes in a squeeze bottle and you cook it just like scrambled eggs.

On the road we use www.happycow.com (there is an app but it costs $) to find local vegan/vegetarian establishments to try out and, show our support. For dinner we’ll sometimes do vegan meat substitutes, beyond burgers, lightlife hot dogs, etc.

Attachments

Reactions: jeepdog33

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Some good stuff here, I eat much less meat than I used to though I am certainly not vegan. Hopefully a full on vegan diet has not interfered with your sense of humor. udujp516zrj31.jpg

Reactions: Hughejanus