Any vegan overlanders out there?

• You may have noticed, things have changed round here! If you would like more information about the recent changes, please visit this post:

Software & Migration Update

• Guest, Did you know you can change the look of your Overland Bound forums? At the bottom of this page look for the Style Chooser! All previous and new light and dark themes are available. Pick something you like!
I am vegan and we did all of the USA vegan when we were in Mexico we tried to go vegan it is so cheap and easy. For vegan Mexico you can do tacos or gorditas with just beans and nopales or potato or onion or rice or avocado. We do lots of rice quinoa and veggies stir fry and lentils and all the stuff. All we had was a colman gasoline stove. And a cooler that didn't work haha. We lasted on that trip for 6 months like that.

coffeeshark

Rank I

Member I

South San Francisco, CA, USA
Member #

I'll post some of my vegan-modified recipes in a bit...just gotta get to my notebook.

Sorry! I just don't want to forget.

Although I will say, a good vegetable stock is indispensable, even for meat dishes. Just get your basic two-one-one of onion, carrot and celery, a good amount of bay, peppercorn, thyme and garlic, add fennel, leeks, coriander, fennel seed, and possibly whatever else you have, simmer one hour and there you go. Instant flavor.

Last edited:
Reactions: ovherlander

ovherlander

Rank I

Member I

AZ
Member #

As a new member, I just typed “vegan” into the search bar and was thrilled to see there are a few vegan members here!
I’m working on a new FB page where I plan to post vegan recipes with photos. I’ll be tagging those recipes & techniques that work especially for camping. Once I have it up I’ll come back and post a link for anyone interested.
Until then, here’s are a couple of my favorites from a trip last month...on the blue plate is my dinner of roasted potatoes, beets and carrots over a bed of greens, topped with pea sprouts and tahini dressing. And on the paper plate, a variety of veggies with parsley hummus, quinoa tabouli and some tasty olives.
Here’s the tabouli recipe:
2 cups cooked quinoa, chilled
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped
2 cucumbers, chopped
1 cup parsley, finely chopped (about 1/2 bunch)
1/2 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
juice of 2 medium lemons
1/2 red onion finely diced
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
*In a large bowl, combine the quinoa with the tomatoes, parsley, mint onion, and cucumber.
Add the olive oil and lemon juice.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This traveled well and stayed fresh in my cooler the entire 5 days of my trip and it packs a lot of fresh flavor.

IMG_6584.JPGIMG_6580.JPG

AprilC

Rank V

Advocate III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

When we go out on the road, we have a cooler and not a fridge, so we stick to mostly vegan, with the exception of boxed eggs. But you could just do breakfast with tofu as a replacement.

Breakfast: Tofo, soyrezo, dehydrated hashbrowns, red onions, red bell peppers, and garlic. Sometimes we add a green tortilla for the people who need more filler.

Lunch: Walking tacos - Trader Joes lentils, fridos, red onion, red bell pepper, tomato, avocado, taco seasoning, and salsa.

Dinner: Ramen or couscous, dehydrated veggies (peas, carrots, onion, broccoli, sundry tomatoes, corn) with tofu, and seasonings. You can do curry, Italian, or my favorite Mrs. Dash.

Snacks: Raw nuts, nut and seed bars, dried fruit, fruit, I like to bring a big things of green juice.

Echelon

Rank III

Advocate II

My wife and kids are vegan, I eat mostly vegan with them so we are keeping an eye on this thread for ideas. We finally got a Coleman Triton stove which should help in cooking since last year everything was over the fire.

Reactions: AprilC

AprilC

Rank V

Advocate III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

its ok you are not vegan and dont seem to care for it, but ... there are those of us who do.
I don’t get why people bother to leave those types of comments if the post doesn’t apply to them. Or scream “bacon” when someone doesn’t eat meat.

There are a lot of vegan camping recipes online. This is how we plan most of our vegan meals.