-Nietzsche

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@SCrunner

Not vegan as is since the recipe contains honey and optional cheese. You can easily substitute Coconut or Agave Nectar and drop the cheese.
I cooked these Honey-Lime Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Corn Tacos up on last Overland trip for the group. Both the carnivores and vegetarians said they were delicious.

Honey-Lime Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Corn Tacos
Recipe Source: http://www.cookingclassy.com/honey-lime-sweet-potato-black-bean-and-corn-tacos/
Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled if desired and diced into 1/2-inch cubes (I used a mix of Purple Sweet potato, and regular Sweet potato)
4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 small yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14.5) oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen yellow corn, thawed and drained (try Roasted Sweet Corn either fresh, canned or frozen)
3 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
6-12 Small Corn or flour tortillas​

Optional toppings:
Purple cabbage, Lettuce, cotija or feta cheese, diced avocados, pico de gallo and hot sauce​

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil then place sweet potatoes on foil. Drizzle with 3 Tbsp olive oil and toss to evenly coat. Sprinkle evenly with cumin, paprika, coriander, cayenne pepper and season lightly with salt and pepper to taste then toss to evenly coat. Bake in preheated oven 15 - 20 minutes until tender, removing from oven and tossing once halfway through baking. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot add onion and saute until caramelized (golden brown on edges and tender), about 5 - 6 minutes, adding in garlic during last 30 seconds of sauteing. Reduce heat to medium-low, add in drained black beans, corn, honey and lime juice. Heat until warmed through. Toss in roasted sweet potatoes and cilantro. Serve over warm tortillas with desired toppings.

I've made them again since and tossed the tortillas and just ate the filling from a Tupperware bucket for lunch. Also it freezes well.

Boort

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Nice! I'll have to try that. It's always great when people don't let the traditional ideas of what a taco is stop them from trying some new ideas. My wife and I'll will season and fry up some small bits of cauliflower to put in tacos sometimes for a change of pace. Thanks for sharing.

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
-Nietzsche

Reactions: SCrunner

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Veggie Man
Hey if it tastes good I'm down. Recently found some Madras Lentel pouches at Costco that are vegetarian and taste awesome after only 60 seconds in the microwave or about 5 mins on the stove. These will be going on the next campout along with the Quinoa & Brown rice pouches I added last year. Both are shelf stable and keep like backpacking meals and taste way better.

Here is another vegan dish that is on my list to try:
http://sweetpotatosoul.com/2015/07/sweet-potato-falafel-sandwich-video.html
A vegan friend introduced me to Jenne's blog at Xmas by bringing in a few of her dessert recipes for the potluck. They were some of the fastest disappearing deserts at the table. (The Chocolate & Cherry Cookies are to kill for!) I don't think the falafel recipe should be too difficult to make camp ready with a dutch oven. Might need to pre-make the balls, freeze them, then cook in dutch oven on the trail.

Boort

Reactions: SCrunner

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Not vegan but my lady and I are both veggie. Anyway, I just wanted to suggest this site for a lot of really awesome, easy to make, vegan recipes:

http://www.thugkitchen.com/recipes

Funny as hell too:

Definitely made me want to buy the cookbook.

Also, I'm not fond of huge amounts of prep while camping so for some of the recipes that do require as much, we'll chop at home and bring in a Tupperware. That way all you have to do is crank up the stove and start cooking when you're ready.

erok81

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Almost all vegan cheese is disgusting (see daiya) but chao is the closest I've ever had. Most of the time when we go we just get the backpacker meals (mountain something) and use those for dinner. They are surprising good. The only we didn't like was the one with "cowboy spices". The breakfast is usually tofu scramble with veg. I throw on a field roast hot dog (20+ grams of protein) for mine. My wife hates fake meat (both of us are vegan).

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Veggie Man

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Almost all vegan cheese is disgusting (see daiya) but chao is the closest I've ever had. Most of the time when we go we just get the backpacker meals (mountain something) and use those for dinner. They are surprising good. The only we didn't like was the one with "cowboy spices". The breakfast is usually tofu scramble with veg. I throw on a field roast hot dog (20+ grams of protein) for mine. My wife hates fake meat (both of us are vegan).

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I like the Daiya but only when melted. Otherwise it's nasty. For a cheese sauce I make my own.
2 cups peeled and chopped yellow potatoes
1 cup baby carrots
1/2 cup of nooch
1/2 cup water
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil (optional for smoother texture)
Boil carrots and potatoes until soft, drain, blend all until smooth and creamy.

-Nietzsche

Contributor I

I've been vegan a long time, but most of my road food stems from BWCA, backpacking and motorcycle trips so it's far from luxurious. I do a lot of rice and pasta dishes. On the road I often pick up the Lipton Spanish Rice packets (I think those are the vegan ones) and supplement a bit with whatever is handy. My easy got to is adding red lentils since they cook quickly and add a good amount of protein. Sometimes I'll throw is some refried beans (dehydrated if backpacking) and/or salsa/hot sauce and eat it with tortilla chips. Veggie sausages keep pretty well so doing those over a fire and throwing them on a bun is an easy go to. They can be done with veggies on a skewer to make kabobs easily enough as well. One of my favorite motorcycle recipes is veggie chicken strips (Sold at even most rural Walmarts), wrapping them in aluminum foil, and roasting them behind the exhaust while I ride. It could be done on a truck with a hotter exhaust. Noodles with peanut butter and soy sauce and rice wine vinegar or lime juice is easy pack food. Breakfast is usually something boring like oatmeal or bagels and peanut butter.

For homemade vegan cheese, try making "rinotta." If you've ever eaten at Pizza Luce in Minnesota it's basically their recipe. It is "not ricotta" so don't expect it to melt, but it's great in/on a ton of dishes. Just blend together:
Roasted cashews
Tofu
Garlic
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Use sort tofu and blend a bit longer if you want it creamy. Use firm tofu and blend for a shorter period of time if you want it thicker. Also, saving some of the cashews for the last 10 seconds of blending makes it nice and chunky. Proportions of tofu to cashews are perhaps 2:1, but I just wing it. The rest is to taste, but I recommend a lot of garlic.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I've been vegan a long time, but most of my road food stems from BWCA, backpacking and motorcycle trips so it's far from luxurious. I do a lot of rice and pasta dishes. On the road I often pick up the Lipton Spanish Rice packets (I think those are the vegan ones) and supplement a bit with whatever is handy. My easy got to is adding red lentils since they cook quickly and add a good amount of protein. Sometimes I'll throw is some refried beans (dehydrated if backpacking) and/or salsa/hot sauce and eat it with tortilla chips. Veggie sausages keep pretty well so doing those over a fire and throwing them on a bun is an easy go to. They can be done with veggies on a skewer to make kabobs easily enough as well. One of my favorite motorcycle recipes is veggie chicken strips (Sold at even most rural Walmarts), wrapping them in aluminum foil, and roasting them behind the exhaust while I ride. It could be done on a truck with a hotter exhaust. Noodles with peanut butter and soy sauce and rice wine vinegar or lime juice is easy pack food. Breakfast is usually something boring like oatmeal or bagels and peanut butter.

For homemade vegan cheese, try making "rinotta." If you've ever eaten at Pizza Luce in Minnesota it's basically their recipe. It is "not ricotta" so don't expect it to melt, but it's great in/on a ton of dishes. Just blend together:
Roasted cashews
Tofu
Garlic
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Use sort tofu and blend a bit longer if you want it creamy. Use firm tofu and blend for a shorter period of time if you want it thicker. Also, saving some of the cashews for the last 10 seconds of blending makes it nice and chunky. Proportions of tofu to cashews are perhaps 2:1, but I just wing it. The rest is to taste, but I recommend a lot of garlic.
Nice bro!

-Nietzsche

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

As promised...

Three-Bean Chili
Minutes to Cook: 30
Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients
· 1 large onion, chopped
· 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
· 2 bay leaves
· 2 green or red peppers, seeded and chopped
· 2 stalks celery, chopped
· 2 carrots, chopped
· 1 cup chopped mushrooms
· 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
· 1 15 Oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
· 1 15 Oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
· 1 15 Oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
· 3 cups water
· 2 28 Oz cans sodium free diced tomatoes, with juice
· 1 6 Oz can tomato paste
· 1 1-lb block tofu, drained and crumbled
· 1 can corn or 1 cup frozen niblets
· 1 apple, chopped
· 2 tbsp. chili powder
· 2 tsp. coriander
· 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
· 1 tbsp. blackstrap molasses
· 1/2 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
· salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Chop onion. Set aside.
2. Chop bell peppers, celery, carrots, mushrooms and jalapeno. Put together in big bowl.
3. Sauté onion on medium-high heat in large sprayed soup pot for 5 minutes.
4. While onion is cooking, start opening cans of beans, rinsing and draining them.
5. Add bowl of peppers, etc. Cook on medium for 5 more minutes. Continue opening the rest of the cans.
6. Add beans, water, tomatoes, tomato paste, tofu crumbled, corn, apple, seasonings, mustard, and parsley, Cover and simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
Eat with healthy chips or on a bed of fresh greens.
Makes 8, 2 cup servings.

Calories: 355.2 Total Fat: 5.6 g Total Carbs: 65.5 g Dietary Fiber: 17.6 g Protein: 21.1 g

Reactions: Schake

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Silver Dollar Oat Pancakes
4 Servings
Prep/Total Time: 25 min.
Ingredients:
· 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
· 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
· 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1 egg equivalent of egg replacer (flax egg, Ener G, etc)
· 3/4 cup vegan buttermilk
· 1/2 cup cinnamon applesauce
· 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
· Maple syrup or topping of your choice

Directions
1. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
2. In a small bowl, beat the egg replacer, buttermilk, applesauce and butter.
3. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
4. Pour batter by 2 tablespoonfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray; turn when bubbles form on top.
5. Cook until second side is golden brown.

6. Serve with syrup.

Yield: 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 5 pancakes (calculated without syrup) equals 211 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 660 mg sodium,

Btravels

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

MIssoula, MT
Member #

I'm part of the cult.
Everything revolves around rice and beans, lentils, potatoes. Basically indian or mexican depending on the day. I batch cook the rice and beans for trips, so i have it ready in the fridge. Then I carry a ton of spices to season it differently every time.
Sometimes I break that basic pattern and do veggie burgers, etc. Also fresh fruit and trail snacks.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I'm part of the cult.
Everything revolves around rice and beans, lentils, potatoes. Basically indian or mexican depending on the day. I batch cook the rice and beans for trips, so i have it ready in the fridge. Then I carry a ton of spices to season it differently every time.
Sometimes I break that basic pattern and do veggie burgers, etc. Also fresh fruit and trail snacks.
That's awesome! I'm a big fan of simplicity. I've found that adding for vital wheat gluten to my bean burgers makes them firmer for a more hearty burger.

-Nietzsche

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Veggie Man

Thanks for the chili recipe. I was just setting out to look for a good Veggi Chili recipe. A few questions if you have time:
Can I drop the mushrooms or are they required for a specific reason? Umami? If required, what kind do you use?
On the Tofu do you have a favorite brand or type for this recipe?
Have you tried premaking this recipe and freezing it for the trail?​

Thanks!
Boort

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

@Veggie Man

Thanks for the chili recipe. I was just setting out to look for a good Veggi Chili recipe. A few questions if you have time:
Can I drop the mushrooms or are they required for a specific reason? Umami? If required, what kind do you use?
On the Tofu do you have a favorite brand or type for this recipe?
Have you tried premaking this recipe and freezing it for the trail?​

Thanks!
Boort
Any of the ingredients can be subbed for others. I try to eat a multitude of colors for the nutritional value in each hut it is up to you how you want the mix to turn out. The spices are the most important part. I don't have a brand of tofu but I do prefer extra firm and always keep it frozen until I want to cook it. This makes it much more firm to the touch which is my own preference. I choose to leave out the molasses since I don't care for it much. I have not yet tried this on the trial but mixing everything prior then heating it up when on the trail would work well. Chili is one of those things that gets better as the ingredients marinate.