SCrunner

Rank I

Contributor III

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
Haha crap I need to order mine asap. not sure what the heck id use to stick it to my stock rear bumper though lol

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Haha crap I need to order mine asap. not sure what the heck id use to stick it to my stock rear bumper though lol
It cost me less than $20 and only takes about a week to arrive. You can get a flag pole mount that fits a receiver hitch.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Veggie Man

Found another couple of winners:
Basically DIY Lara bars:
Cherry ( From http://www.budget101.com/content.php/4047-Make-Your-Own-copycat-Lara-bars More flavors here as well ):
1 cup Dates (About 8-12 OZ bag)
1 cup Dried Cherries
1 cup Almonds (or Walnuts, Cashews, or other favorite nuts)

Line 8" square pan with parchment paper, 2 layers forming an X to protect sides and bottom of pan.
Put all ingredients into food processor (Use a big one as my hand chopper and stick blender model don't have enough power)
Pulse the mix a few times then run for 1-2 mins until the mix forms a large ball
Dump ball into pan and press to flatten
Refrigerate for an hour or 2 to harden, then cut into 12 bars, pack in into ziploc bags for trip.
Coco-coconut (Modified from http://www.momskitchenhandbook.com/recipes/chocolate-coconut-copycat-bars-homemade-larabars/ ):
18 Dates (about 3/4 of a 12oz box)
1 cup Water
2/3rd cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup Almonds
1/2 cup Walnuts
1/3 cup 100% cacao powder
1/4 tsp salt

Line 8" square pan with parchment paper, 2 layers forming an X to protect sides and bottom of pan.
Boil water and pour over dates to soften, soak for 5 mins
Put 1/3 cup coconut, almonds, walnuts, Cacao powder, and salt into food processor
Pulse the mix a few times to breakup and mix ingredients
Drain water from dates, discard water
Add dates to food processor run for 1-2 mins until the mix forms a large ball
Dump ball into pan and press to flatten
Refrigerate for an hour or 2 to harden,
Top with remaining 1/3 cup of Coconut, cut into 24 bars, pack in into ziploc bags for trip.
Either recipe should keep for 2-3 weeks in the fridge or cooler, up to 3 months in the freezer. (none of my batches have lasted over 2 weeks due to consumption :D )

Boort

Reactions: Schake

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

My wife and I have done a few different things...
1 Individually wrapped veggie wraps are easy (Hummus, sprouts, peppers,cucumber, cabbage.)
2 Pre-cook seasoned potatoes are my favorite because of all the options; then reheat with refried beans, put in a soft shell with salsa, lettuce, & avocados for potato tacos. You can just reheat with refried beans, add tofu crumbles and vegan cheese, then salsa for a breakfast bowl. Or just reheat potatoes and dip in ketchup!
3 Granola, fruit, & coconut flakes with coconut milk is easy & fast.
4 Box of veggie broth, rice, veggies for an easy soup.
5 Can of Amy's spicy chili with a bag of organic corn chips.
6 Tortilla chips and a big bowl of guacamole can be meal...
7 Mason jar with vanilla extract, chia seeds, & coconut milk left in fridge, add fruit.

Just depends how much prep work you want to put into it and how long you will be camping... hope this helps.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Swhirstein

2 Pre-cook seasoned potatoes are my favorite because of all the options; then reheat with refried beans, put in a soft shell with salsa, lettuce, & avocados for potato tacos. You can just reheat with refried beans, add tofu crumbles and vegan cheese, then salsa for a breakfast bowl. Or just reheat potatoes and dip in ketchup!
7 Mason jar with vanilla extract, chia seeds, & coconut milk left in fridge, add fruit.
#'s 2 and 7 sound interesting. Can you elaborate on what you use for seasoning and how you store the potatoes?
I heard of doing something similar with overnight oats, is that similar to the Chia recipe? I've just started considering Chia and have no clue how to prepare it.

Boort

Angel Sterling

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Alberta, Canada
Member #

1 Individually wrapped veggie wraps are easy (Hummus, sprouts, peppers,cucumber, cabbage.)
3 Granola, fruit, & coconut flakes with coconut milk is easy & fast.
4 Box of veggie broth, rice, veggies for an easy soup.
5 Can of Amy's spicy chili with a bag of organic corn chips.
6 Tortilla chips and a big bowl of guacamole can be meal...

Just depends how much prep work you want to put into it and how long you will be camping... hope this helps.
:hearteyecat: Those all sound so yummy! Any suggestions on food wrapping after pre prepping veggies to keep them fresh? And do you have an Instagram?

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

@Swhirstein

#'s 2 and 7 sound interesting. Can you elaborate on what you use for seasoning and how you store the potatoes?
I heard of doing something similar with overnight oats, is that similar to the Chia recipe? I've just started considering Chia and have no clue how to prepare it.

Boort
I use garlic power, chili power, crushed red pepper & typically a seasoning salt. (Italian seasoning or Cheyenne are substituted or added depending on what we plan to make), I prefer more heat than the wife so also depends which of us prepares it. We commonly just store in a Rubbermaid type of container and in the cooler, then toss on the skillet to reheat.
Chia is super simple, approximately 2tbsp of chia, 1/2-1 tsp of vanilla extract, then fill mason jar with almond or coconut milk, stir or shake well so chia seeds don't clump up, refrigerate overnight, prior to leaving. basic Chia pudding. store in cooler, scoop out add granola & fruit for a great breakfast! I've also seen recipes that have you add maple syrup, which is probably not a bad idea, but have personally not tried it.

Fajitas are also super simple (tortilla's; cut up a few peppers & onion, toss in skillet. spread refried beans on tortilla's, add hot sauce or salsa & guac. (lettuce if you want) then top with sauteed onions & peppers. Easy peasy.

Reactions: Schake and Boort

Angel Sterling

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Alberta, Canada
Member #

I'm not sure whats available in the US, but here in Canada we have a great selection of "meatless ground meat".
These Yves "meats" come in portions small enough for 2 and are super easy to pack and take along on trips. I'm hoping to make videos in the near future of how I cook with this yummy goodness. (Basically the same way you would cook ground meats)
us_tacostuffers.png

Reactions: Schake

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

:hearteyecat: Those all sound so yummy! Any suggestions on food wrapping after pre prepping veggies to keep them fresh? And do you have an Instagram?
Yea, I think those getting into the plantbased/vegan lifestyle tend to overthink meals & recipes because meat & dairy has always been such a huge part of the "diet' of most Americans. Instagram & tumblr is swhirstein & the wife's instagram is j.me_linn although we haven't posted many recipe's on there. Going to try and start to do more though this year.

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

We normally just put veggies in a tight sealing container, Rubbermaid or equivalent. Sometimes we will roll veggie wraps or buffalo chickpea wraps in parchment paper then into a Rubbermaid container.

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

@Swhirstein

Boort
Almost forgot the buffalo chickpea wrap... Roast canned chickpeas until they dry out and get soft, transfer to a bowl, mix in buffalo sauce, diced jalapeños, & green onions. Spread mixture evenly onto tortilla's then roll like you would a pinwheel wrap. Let sit in fridge for awhile then cut into bit size pieces... It's legit!

Reactions: ovherlander

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Almost forgot the buffalo chickpea wrap... Roast canned chickpeas until they dry out and get soft, transfer to a bowl, mix in buffalo sauce, diced jalapeños, & green onions. Spread mixture evenly onto tortilla's then roll like you would a pinwheel wrap. Let sit in fridge for awhile then cut into bit size pieces... It's legit!
@Swhirstein

I'll have to try that. It sounds like a blistered Jalapeno hummus dip I made last summer. We used a pack of pre-made Hummus, Roasted Jalapenos, Green Onions on the BBQ, then chopped them up and ate with Corn chips, Crackers, and Veggie sticks.

Boort

Reactions: Swhirstein

atoms

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Manor, Texas, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
atoms
Member #

We have had good results using a vacuum sealer. Chopped veggies for days out of the cooler. Toss them in some glassware and bake over the campfire. Occasionally add in some Tofurkey links chopped up for some variety. Also, we will pre-roll salads in tortillas. It is a good way to consolidate them down. My kids prefer it that way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using OB Talk mobile app

lmyamen

Rank II

Advocate II

iowa
My wife and I are both vegan, we like to do a Jambalaya over the camp fire. Use a base of brown rice, add red and green peppers to it along with onion, garlic, a large can of diced tomato, paprika,oregano and salt pepper along with hot sauce, we also use trader joes vegan Italian "sausage". Its a really good filling meal.

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

Hey all, totally late to this thread, but wanted to chime in. My wife is a vegetarian and has decided to be in charge of the menu for our two week trip this fall. She likes to plan far in advance and has come up with options for herself that can have meat included later on for the rest of us who eat it. One option I'm excited about is already prepared red beans and rice that she will freeze and then thaw later on. She makes vegan red beans and rice at home a lot so we just decided to give it a try for overlanding. She's also planning on making rice in advance and freezing it for use during the trip. We figure it will save time and propane. I'm sure she'll have plenty of other ideas between now and August. Thanks for starting this thread!