SCrunner

Rank I

Contributor III

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
We're trying to significantly cut our meat consumption, out of health and environmental concerns, and I was absolutely floored by this chickpea salad recipe:

I highly suggest it...and all the recipes on that site. We were so impressed we ordered his cookbook as well.

I love hearing that. We must do our part to preserve the lands we desire to explore!

Taino_Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Carolina, Puerto Rico
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Perez
Member #

My wife has been vegan for 3 years now (for health and moral reasons) and I try to eat a vegan diet about 90% of the time. Glad to see so many in here. [emoji271]

Reactions: Schake

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Not vegan, but rather vegetarian. Generally I just cook the same on the trail as I do at home, with slightly more sandwiches, lol

mcgyver0302

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Brea, CA, USA
First Name
Barry
Last Name
Payne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6GVX
Just joined, and glad to see more plant based people on here. My whole family is. My Son and I have been for over five years. Best thing I ever did for my body.

Reactions: admpilot and Schake

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I don't normally go for any of the meat substitute stuff as I prefer to stick with more cooked veggie centric things, but a buddy introduced me to some of the newer things like beyond meat... and well some of those make for some pretty tasty trail tacos, just sayin. also works for some killer breakfast stuff too!

One of these days I want to try doing a veggie pot pie in a dutch oven... I've done them from scratch a lot over the years as a hearty winter sort of meal, but I think one could be really cool to try out in the woods sometime. I've normally done mine as a vegetarian dish (i'm more ovo-lacto myself) and used a dairy based roux to make a bechamel sauce as a base but I have some ideas for a vegan version I've been wanting to try....

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
While, we are not, nor ever going to be vegan. We are moving away from MEAT. I will still eat eggs, cheese and use milk. But in the past 5 years or so, Something has changed in the meat you can get at the stores. It's now slimy and pink. Go hunting, and cut open an animal. They are deep red/maroon color. This pink/light red beef is NOT right. We just tried a couple of ive's hot Italian vegan sausages on the bbq. The texture is something to get used to, but the flavor is good and will suffice from regular greasy fatty gross sausages. We know veggie burgers are deadly. We are going to try the meatless chicken breast in a few recipes to see how they work out too. Moving on from enriched white bread/products too. Going towards whole wheat and organic as well.

Reactions: Speric

DJ Song

Rank I

Contributor I

First Name
Doreen
Last Name
Song
Member #

We are new to OB, but have been vegan for 7 years. You can sub soy curls into just about any meat recipe that uses cut up meat.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The last post we made we were dipping our toes in the vegetarian land. I just got back from the grocery store. All vegetarian grocery trip. We are making this choice for health reasons. I have some issues that the doctor said cutting out meats would benifit me greatly. Plus, you will just be healthier. I listened to him. I have not had meat in a week and a half and I am down 3 lbs already!

Reactions: Speric

SteveSln

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Sloan
Member #

I am a vegan and a new overlander. I enjoy cooking and am looking forward to trying some new camp cooking methods. Been devouring YT videos. At home I am usually strict WFPB, but I plan on relaxing that while on the trail (so that I can use oil for cast iron and pre-prepared snacks). Would love to meet and cook with other veg' heads!

Hughejanus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Canada
First Name
Hughe
Last Name
Januse
I'm surprised you even had to ask, normally vegans let you know they are before you even know their name.

Also, please know I'm only kidding. I have many vegan friends and although we don't see eye to eye on our diets, we sure have fun and enjoy each other. I look forward to reading more recipes so I can accommodate them better on the trails!

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I'm surprised you even had to ask, normally vegans let you know they are before you even know their name.

Also, please know I'm only kidding. I have many vegan friends and although we don't see eye to eye on our diets, we sure have fun and enjoy each other. I look forward to reading more recipes so I can accommodate them better on the trails!
I thought that was "Overlanders" who immediately tell you that they "Overland" while standing by their tricked out rig.