Rank II

Enthusiast III

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horton
Good afternoon everyone!
My name is Mike, currently beginning to get to the next level of the overlanding life. I’ve been around 4x4’s and off Roading most of my life, have trail camped a few times in recent years but want to get more in depth and adventurous with it.
I live in Whitehall, just north of Muskegon, right on the lakeshore of Lake Michigan. Currently, I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler, but I also have a reservation on a 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands that I should be converting to an order in the next few weeks. These will be my primary rigs for overlanding. My goal this year is digitally mapping a loop of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan (the TAT was my inspiration), using nothing busier than a secondary highway (mostly trails, seasonal and dirt roads). Already mapped it out in my off road atlases.

I am married with 4 kids, my youngest son being diagnosed with High function, non verbal autism. That being said, he is my #1 co pilot, absolutely loves going for trail rides, and I’m hoping this will translate into an even greater enjoyment of the outdoor lifestyle.
My plan is to start this year tent camping while hopefully mapping out my “Michigan Adventure Circuit”, or “MAC” for short (college football fans might understand the reference lol). If I can take at least one weekend a month this year to do it, then that justifies spending money on a RTT or overlanding trailer, at least to me.
I also admin an off Roading group on Facebook, don’t want to break any rules so I won’t post the name of it unless authorized by an admin here.

In closing, I’m just here to watch and learn, ask questions, broaden my knowledge and horizons, as well as possibly help if possible or to chime in with some awesome humor .
Have a great weekend and Wheel on!

Reactions: Fleamac

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Waterford Township, MI, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

Good afternoon everyone!
My name is Mike, currently beginning to get to the next level of the overlanding life. I’ve been around 4x4’s and off Roading most of my life, have trail camped a few times in recent years but want to get more in depth and adventurous with it.
I live in Whitehall, just north of Muskegon, right on the lakeshore of Lake Michigan. Currently, I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler, but I also have a reservation on a 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands that I should be converting to an order in the next few weeks. These will be my primary rigs for overlanding. My goal this year is digitally mapping a loop of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan (the TAT was my inspiration), using nothing busier than a secondary highway (mostly trails, seasonal and dirt roads). Already mapped it out in my off road atlases.

I am married with 4 kids, my youngest son being diagnosed with High function, non verbal autism. That being said, he is my #1 co pilot, absolutely loves going for trail rides, and I’m hoping this will translate into an even greater enjoyment of the outdoor lifestyle.
My plan is to start this year tent camping while hopefully mapping out my “Michigan Adventure Circuit”, or “MAC” for short (college football fans might understand the reference lol). If I can take at least one weekend a month this year to do it, then that justifies spending money on a RTT or overlanding trailer, at least to me.
I also admin an off Roading group on Facebook, don’t want to break any rules so I won’t post the name of it unless authorized by an admin here.

In closing, I’m just here to watch and learn, ask questions, broaden my knowledge and horizons, as well as possibly help if possible or to chime in with some awesome humor .
Welcome! I have spent some time in the Manistee Forest over your way and had a bunch of fun the the state forest areas west of Midland. We have plans to get up to the NW part of the state to explore starting this spring.

Is your FB group a statewide group? Does it organize and plan group events/trips? There are not as much of a dedicated off-road/overland crowd in the metro Detroit area, so I am always open to groups with organization and real events/community.

The new Bronco looks like it will be a very capable and fun overland machine. I wonder if Ford will make a slightly longer version in a couple years. Something more Explorer size/length.

Gr8 Hortoni

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horton
Welcome! I have spent some time in the Manistee Forest over your way and had a bunch of fun the the state forest areas west of Midland. We have plans to get up to the NW part of the state to explore starting this spring.

Is your FB group a statewide group? Does it organize and plan group events/trips? There are not as much of a dedicated off-road/overland crowd in the metro Detroit area, so I am always open to groups with organization and real events/community.

The new Bronco looks like it will be a very capable and fun overland machine. I wonder if Ford will make a slightly longer version in a couple years. Something more Explorer size/length.
I’m right on the south edge of the Manistee, plenty of riding in there. My page is focused on the West Michigan area, we previously organized meet n greets, trail rides and events before the ‘Rona took the fun out of life, we’ll get back to that stuff eventually.
The 4 door bronco is most definitely the size of the exploder, if not bigger. I’m sticking to my roots (and my budget) with a 2 door. The badlands is definitely pushing my dollar limits as it is. Lol.

Reactions: GrundleJuice

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

Good afternoon everyone!

Welcome!

I grew up & went to high school in Whitehall, currently living in Norton Shores. I'd definitely be interested in anything you've got planned in the area; please keep us posted.

Also do a search for Michigan Overland on your preferred social platform, those tend to be a lot more active and there are a couple of guys (michigan overland and new holland overland) putting events together.

The bronco is on my short list to eventually replace my FJ, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it once you take delivery.

Gr8 Hortoni

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horton
Welcome!

I grew up & went to high school in Whitehall, currently living in Norton Shores. I'd definitely be interested in anything you've got planned in the area; please keep us posted.

Also do a search for Michigan Overland on your preferred social platform, those tend to be a lot more active and there are a couple of guys (michigan overland and new holland overland) putting events together.

The bronco is on my short list to eventually replace my FJ, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it once you take delivery.
I’m a member of Michigan Overland and friends with the owner of New Holland (Jeremy). PM me and I can give you my FB page for the area (you might already be a member), there’s also a Jeep club in Muskegon that I’m a member of and we co promote events with (the admin is actually who I’m bouncing trailer ideas back n forth with as he’s wanting to get more into the overland life as well). He’s a NS resident as well.

Reactions: GatorDoc

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

Welcome!

I’m a member of Michigan Overland and friends with the owner of New Holland (Jeremy). PM me and I can give you my FB page for the area (you might already be a member), there’s also a Jeep club in Muskegon that I’m a member of and we co promote events with (the admin is actually who I’m bouncing trailer ideas back n forth with as he’s wanting to get more into the overland life as well). He’s a NS resident as well.
Small world indeed. I'll shoot you a PM.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Been a little bit since I've been on the OB forums but glad to see there's still some activity happening on this thread. For anyone who is interested we also operate on a few other platforms, Facebook, Instagram, MeWe, and a newly started MO specific forum via Tapatalk (tapatalk.com/groups/michiganoverland).

I'm hoping to get some trips and meet ups planned for this year but with Covid still a thing I'm not putting anything in stone yet.

JakeW

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Pleasant Ridge, MI 48069, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Hey everyone! I’m Jake, I live down in the metro Detroit area. Ive been up in northern Michigan my whole though with family land in the Cheboygan area and just across the bride on Brevort Lake. Michigan is home to some beautiful land and I’m looking forward to exploring more of it and hopefully running into some of y’all on the trails. Hopefully going to make trips up to Drummond island and copper harbor this year, any pointers for the copper harbor area would be appreciated!

Hanzo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Frankfort, MI, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Vandervest
Member #

Hey everyone! I’m Jake, I live down in the metro Detroit area. Ive been up in northern Michigan my whole though with family land in the Cheboygan area and just across the bride on Brevort Lake. Michigan is home to some beautiful land and I’m looking forward to exploring more of it and hopefully running into some of y’all on the trails. Hopefully going to make trips up to Drummond island and copper harbor this year, any pointers for the copper harbor area would be appreciated!
I have just got tickets to the KOAR event in copper harbor for this September, might be a good way to explore the area.

Reactions: JakeW

JakeW

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Jake
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I have just got tickets to the KOAR event in copper harbor for this September, might be a good way to explore the area.
Yea I know, I was hoping to make it to KOAR this year but my wife and I recently found out we are going to be having our first kid due the week after the event! Exciting times ahead but KOAR will have to wait till the next year, enjoy the trails!

Hanzo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Frankfort, MI, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Vandervest
Member #

Yea I know, I was hoping to make it to KOAR this year but my wife and I recently found out we are going to be having our first kid due the week after the event! Exciting times ahead but KOAR will have to wait till the next year, enjoy the trails!
Having a kid is way better than KOAR, congratulations!

Reactions: JakeW

JakeW

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Jake
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Having a kid is way better than KOAR, congratulations!
Absolutely, thanks man!

Reactions: Hanzo

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Waterford Township, MI, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

Hello All! Brand new to the group and relatively new to over landing overall. Moving to the Lansing area in a few weeks. Always looking forward good overland trips and advice. Thanks
Where are you moving from?

It doesn't take too much to get into some descent forest if you head north from Lansing. Lots of places to explore and enjoy in the Huron-Manistee.

Reactions: Bennet59

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Hello Michigan
We are driving from VA to Detroit for good food and see for first time Detroit. My guess ita best way to have hotel unless someone has a big property to land for day .
I'm looking to explorer UP with family. First coming out from Detroit area it will be nice hit few medium off road trail and camp , then get into Drummond island and hit few medium trail and camp for two days. Return to main land of UP and start moving west . I will appreciate if someone share some GAiA files I will not share publicly it's only us with kids . Thanks mates
You are all welcome to join us if you have good idea ans direction to after Detroit area toward Drummond. We are planning be on July 5th in Detroit area and all open for us until July 14 as we have reservations at cabin near Copper Harbor

Last edited: