Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Some additional details on the upcoming 5.11 event.

-Saturday April 25th from 10am to 1/2pm
-Raffle with prizes
-Black Rifle Coffee Co tasting tent
-Small businesses w/ ties to overland/off-road community are welcome to be on-site but cannot sell

We are still looking for some folks who can commit to being there for demo questions and discussion. All rigs and experiences are welcome, the more the merrier. Email nick@michiganoverland.com or shoot me a message on Facebook.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Most of our meetups are centralized at a location (brewery, coffee place, park, etc.). Mostly just a way for folks to get together for a few hours and talk shop. We are trying to run a more consistent weekend trip also for people who want to camp.
Next weekend will be my last one for about 5 weeks. Would totally be up to meet up with some members.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Next weekend will be my last one for about 5 weeks. Would totally be up to meet up with some members.
Unfortunately, we're going to be out the SE Michigan area that weekend. Unless you're close to Bay City to grab a beer we'll have to catch you next time you're in Michigan.

AirbossWiley

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Holly, MI, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Wiley
Member #

Holly, Michigan Checking In. Looking Forward To Meeting Some Of You Once Holly Oaks Opens Up. I Will Be Easy To Spot As I Will Probably Have My Mower Out There To Float On The Ponds. Looking Forward To Heading North And Hitting The Trails With The Truck Once This Mess Passes OverMow Float.jpg

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Unfortunately, we're going to be out the SE Michigan area that weekend. Unless you're close to Bay City to grab a beer we'll have to catch you next time you're in Michigan.
Ive got a few more weeks and i will get free'd up. Looking to spens a week in the UP. Would love to get a trip together with a few members that know the area.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I lived in the U.P. for 3 years as a child. Does that count? :grinning: My parents currently live in Gwinn, MI. I absolutely love everything about the U.P., except for the mosquitos.

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Waterford Township, MI, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

Another Waterford OB member here. More members in the SE area than I would have guessed. Wife and I are hoping to head up to Drummond Island late summer/early fall as long as this covid stuff doesn't get out of hand again, but before that I would like to do some shakedown camping with my equipment and hopefully find out what I want/need to change. I am also pretty good with a wrench if any local members need any build/maintenance help. I've been turning wrenches for a living for about 25 years and am always happy to help out when I can. I don't mind a beer or two, either.

Reactions: RAB

MIJeep

Rank III

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
MICHAEL
Last Name
COUCH
Member #

Checking in from Marshall, new to the forum.

Hoping you all can help guide me to some great ORV trails in the state.

Reactions: RyanC

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

Welcome! Metro Detroiter here. Can I assume you are looking for jeep/4x4 trails and not ATV/ SxS tails?

For most of the public access trails in state and natl forest lands you have to get north if M20/Muskegon latitude. There may be others closer to Marshall. I can post some useful links here once I'm home and at my laptop.

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

Welcome! Metro Detroiter here. Can I assume you are looking for jeep/4x4 trails and not ATV/ SxS tails?

For most of the public access trails in state and natl forest lands you have to get north if M20/Muskegon latitude. There may be others closer to Marshall. I can post some useful links here once I'm home and at my laptop.
Sorry it took so long.

As far as finding dedicated ORV routes and trails, there are some apps and some websites that publish this info in a user friendly way, though all of it is free public info. I use GAIA and onX offroad, the latter is a subscription based service with both mobile device apps and web based tools. Both offer offline maps mode, so you can use and track GPS location without data/cell service. onX Offroad shows ORV routes with color coding to classify open/closed and what type of usage is permitted. Some trails are ATV/SxS/motorcycle only. It also has ingfo about each trail, if any has been provided by other users. Unfortunately in Michigan, and the midwest overall, the amount of overlander feedback for this kind of info is lacking. Out west, there trails maps and trail info is much more rich and complete.

onX Offroad web view (mobile app is almost identical) - The location pins/routes are user created waypoints/routes that are saved to your acct and synced across all devices.

The Michigan DNR states that dispersed camping is allowed anywhere on state lands as long as it meets these rules and regulations:
"Dispersed camping is permitted on any state-owned land for free. The following rules apply:

• The campsite must not be located in a designated state park, recreation area, rustic state forest campground or game area. The campsite must also be located more than one mile from a rustic state forest campground.
  • The property must not be posted "No Camping."
  • A camp registration card (PDF) must be prominently posted at the campsite for the duration of the stay. It is the responsibility of the camping party to ensure that the registration card remains legible (placing it in a zip-top bag is recommended).
  • State Land Rules are followed."
they also link to an interactive map with state lands and campgrounds. ( https://midnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=1c46dfdb716042f7ad99866aa5d099bf ) I use this almost exclusively to determine areas of interest for dispersed camping, verifying that it meets the rules for "dispersed camping", as far as location/proximity goes, and then use google earth pro or web based program to find roads/two track/trails around the areas on interest. If you DL google earth pro (its free), you will be able to create routes and save locations with custom, labels and notes, etc and then you can save them as a .KML file and open them in the web based Google Earth prgram ( earth.google.com ). I believe there is a way to sync google earth across devices under one user account but I just save the routes/waypoints/etc to .KML file into my google drive and DL directly to the device in need so that I can use it offline in conjunction with offline maps. There are some more detailed info available for how to do this, google search will give you plenty of results.

My Google Earth of two "Projects" i have made of potential camping and some routes that I have tried. *The routes are too small to see in this zoomed out view*

There are other sites and apps, like iOverlander, that have some other potentially useful info on a map based GUI for things like where public utilities are available, dump stations, etc. It seems to be mostly geared toward RV type overlanding.

iOverlander

Reactions: MIJeep