RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I may be able to meet up with you on Friday night kind of late. I have to work that week covering a coworker so I can't just take the day off but I can leave Ann Arbor around 6pm. Will there be a way to get GPS coordinates or contact someone once you get to camp?

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I may be able to meet up with you on Friday night kind of late. I have to work that week covering a coworker so I can't just take the day off but I can leave Ann Arbor around 6pm. Will there be a way to get GPS coordinates or contact someone once you get to camp?
I uploaded the KML file to the Rally Point posting. The Friday night camp site is west of Baldwin on the river.

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

I uploaded the KML file to the Rally Point posting. The Friday night camp site is west of Baldwin on the river.
Coooooool... this looks like an interesting route! Thought we'd just be looping thru lil Manistee, Lincoln Hills, Tin Cup, the ORV routes etc. I've really only been on the ATV trails around there back when I used to ride, but I haven't been on much for truck-sized trails in the area, looking forward to exploring it :grinning:

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Coooooool... this looks like an interesting route! Thought we'd just be looping thru lil Manistee, Lincoln Hills, Tin Cup, the ORV routes etc. I've really only been on the ATV trails around there back when I used to ride, but I haven't been on much for truck-sized trails in the area, looking forward to exploring it :grinning:
I've been on some of these but I tired to go with anything that looked promising. I didn't hit anything that was unpassable (except one spot) last time I was there. Most of the trails will accommodate smaller SUVs pretty easily. I run a Suburban and had no issues getting anywhere.

Reactions: Tinker

Vandwellists

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm in Warren, going up to the U.P. this weekend. Leaving tonight to head to Gaylord or Grayling to find someplace to stay just for the night, then, we are staying at Indian Lake one night, then who knows? Any recommendations for 'overland' spots in the U.P. that we wont get bothered or murdered? :D

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

I'm in Warren, going up to the U.P. this weekend. Leaving tonight to head to Gaylord or Grayling to find someplace to stay just for the night, then, we are staying at Indian Lake one night, then who knows? Any recommendations for 'overland' spots in the U.P. that we wont get bothered or murdered? :D
This map may be of use, it highlights all the state & national forests for setting up overland-style camps:
http://midnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=1c46dfdb716042f7ad99866aa5d099bf

Also maybe these 2 overview maps of ORV routes (solid red lines) could be useful too, lots of little off-shoots of these trails into the state/national forests:
http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/forestslandwater/ORV/Maps-Trail/orv_up_for_web.pdf
http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/forestslandwater/ORV/Maps-Trail/orv_lp_for_web.pdf

Reactions: Vandwellists

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Vandwellists

Rank 0

Traveler I

Glad to help :) There are some useful tools in that first link too, the measuring tool is nice to draw between points to estimate distance.

Almost forgot about this one too, has even more layers for attractions & recreation (hiking, waterfalls, lighthouses, parks, etc)
http://www.uptravel.com/interactive-map-of-the-u.p.-200/
Do you want a friend forever? Because, this is how you get a friend forever. :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Shake and Tinker

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Do you get to the first campsite from Kinney Rd?

Also do I need a camping permit? The time I will be showing up the local DNR office will probably be closed.

Edit: Never mind, GPS newbie over here figured it out.

Last edited:

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Do you get to the first campsite from Kinney Rd?

Also do I need a camping permit? The time I will be showing up the local DNR office will probably be closed.

Edit: Never mind, GPS newbie over here figured it out.
Yes. If I remember correctly right at Kinney Rd there's the start of a trail. If you follow it straight back it curves south closer to the river. The camp site is a larger clearing overlooking the river.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
How about camping permit, is it something I can fill out ahead of time?

Jrnottarts

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lafayette, IN
Member #

Hoosier here, we have friends in Grand Rapids who are interested in joining us on a camping trip. Can anyone recommend some good camping areas in the Grand Rapids/Cadillac vicinity?

Extreme_Vic

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
Hi there everybody

The wife and I are setting our sights to our neighbor up north (live in Ohio), and doing a trip to the LP. Our rough itinerary is running the west coast up through the various dune parks for a week.

We roll in an outback and set up basecamp and do dayhikes or overnight excursions from there. And of course we do overland camping when possible. Just not big into park life...

Any suggestions up the coast? I got a tip from a co-worker to check out Ludington, he said I may be able to get the outback on the beach?

Any tips or pointers appreciated

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Edit: Never mind, we decided to head home. Didn't get the FB message until about 7:20 pm on Saturday for some reason.

Hey @michiganoverland
We couldn't get to the camp site in the kml file because the path was blocked by a barrier that said no motor vehicles. We ended up in Sulak campground nearby, site number 4. Contact us or come get us in the morning if you can.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Hi there everybody

The wife and I are setting our sights to our neighbor up north (live in Ohio), and doing a trip to the LP. Our rough itinerary is running the west coast up through the various dune parks for a week.

We roll in an outback and set up basecamp and do dayhikes or overnight excursions from there. And of course we do overland camping when possible. Just not big into park life...

Any suggestions up the coast? I got a tip from a co-worker to check out Ludington, he said I may be able to get the outback on the beach?

I was just here this week.
DH campground in Sleeping Bear. First come first serve.

Dispersed camping on Green rd (close to Nordhouse Trail head) lots of choices here and the sites are really great. Close to Ludington beach.

I camped at warren dunes as well but it's just because i had no other option for dispersed camping in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Hoosier here, we have friends in Grand Rapids who are interested in joining us on a camping trip. Can anyone recommend some good camping areas in the Grand Rapids/Cadillac vicinity?
That area is fantastic for camping away from official/designated areas! Check out some of those links I posted farther up & you'll see that between those 2 cities is a gigantic national forest area that allows setting up pretty much anywhere in the woods. The MIDNR link helps to show the boundaries between public & private land, even better is the public land layer on GaiaGPS.

The generic "dispersed camping" info for Michigan forests is here: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10365_10883_58648---,00.html

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Hi there everybody

In my opinion the best area beside the Lake Michigan coastline is in the northwest. Taking M22 & US31 north chases the coastline of the Grand Traverse Bay peninsulas from Frankfort which leads right to the M119 "Tunnel of Trees", parts of the Indian Gardens ORV route borders it to the east, then you have the Wilderness State park between there & the bridge. Highly recommended, plenty of on & off road miles, no shortage of forest to pull into & setup camp as well. All the towns along that route are very traveler friendly.