Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Edit: Never mind, we decided to head home. Didn't get the FB message until about 7:20 pm on Saturday for some reason.

Hey @michiganoverland
We couldn't get to the camp site in the kml file because the path was blocked by a barrier that said no motor vehicles. We ended up in Sulak campground nearby, site number 4. Contact us or come get us in the morning if you can.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app
That's a bummer :( We could really do with some radios to cut thru those cell-signal dead zones out in the forest. I have a CB now but I think a HAM license is in order sooner than later...

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Edit: Never mind, we decided to head home. Didn't get the FB message until about 7:20 pm on Saturday for some reason.

Hey @michiganoverland
We couldn't get to the camp site in the kml file because the path was blocked by a barrier that said no motor vehicles. We ended up in Sulak campground nearby, site number 4. Contact us or come get us in the morning if you can.

That sucks man. Apparently we were pretty close to you guys. I didn't get your message about where you were at until later in the day. Like @Tinker said , some HAM radios will probably be in the future. The CBs worked great line of (and sort of) line of site.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
That sucks man. Apparently we were pretty close to you guys. I didn't get your message about where you were at until later in the day. Like @Tinker said , some HAM radios will probably be in the future. The CBs worked great line of (and sort of) line of site.
That's ok. Sulak is a pretty nice camp ground. No fees required and first come first serve. Amature radio is nice, a cheap but fairly good quality handheld runs about $35 on Amazon, toss the antenna and get a better one for $12 and you are doing pretty well. The exam for the license is $15 and if you pass the license is free.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I just have to say that you folks from Michigan are lucky to have the UP and all the trails you have up there. Maybe we were pretty lucky with the mosquitoes last week but I'll definitely be back for more backroad exploration in the UP.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I just have to say that you folks from Michigan are lucky to have the UP and all the trails you have up there. Maybe we were pretty lucky with the mosquitoes last week but I'll definitely be back for more backroad exploration in the UP.
I've lived here my entire life and have to get up there enough to explore a good portion of it. Glad you enjoyed it. I'll stand by what I say to most people in that Michigan is underrated in terms of overlanding/adventure related things to do. Maybe because we want to keep it all to ourselves but this state rocks. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Agreed that Michigan is a pretty darn nice place to live.

There needs to be a UP trip organized soon I am sure there are few folks that would be up for that.
That's on my wish list. I just need at least a month heads up to guarantee time off.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Agreed that Michigan is a pretty darn nice place to live.

There needs to be a UP trip organized soon I am sure there are few folks that would be up for that.
I wanted to try and get one in this year. It was supposed to be 4th of July week but it ended up not working out. Maybe we can start planning one for next year in the late Fall timeframe. I definitely want to get up there to explore some other parts.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

@Tinker was kind enough to run a time lapse video this weekend. I've got tons of other footage (some turned out great and some didn't) that I'm going to get uploaded over the next few weeks.

Reactions: Tinker and 58-fc170

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

I found this to be a pretty good study, quick & straight to the point with some good visuals. Surprised how much of it will be basic electrics. Making a go at the exam tomorrow night!

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Good luck.

I haven't gotten that far. Hopefully in the next week or two.

This is on order though, cheap and should be a good starting point.
Good choice! Going the same route to start, only used mine in the past to monitor at racing events & the occasional listen-in to local police/fire/repeater. I see they make adapters for vehicle use to plug into an external magnetic-mount antenna for example, and I know it's only like 5-8watts, but sure beats the cost of dual-band transceivers I've been seeing :openmouth:

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Good luck.

I haven't gotten that far. Hopefully in the next week or two.

This is on order though, cheap and should be a good starting point.

That's a nice kit, even comes with a better antenna! At least the picture shows it. I have a uv-5r as well. First thing you have to do is download CHIRP and program the squelch mod here. http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Squelch.php

The stock squelch levels are all very low.

Miklor is a great resource for these radios.

Reactions: aearles

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
View attachment 29566 Yes the amazon ham kit includes the longer antenna.
Good Deal! That charger base is 10V so it doesn't work in a car by default. If you are handy with a soldering iron however, there are directions I've found (and then lost) to solder a 10V regulator in line with the power socket on the back of the charger so you can plug it into a 12V source, like a car, and charge it there too. The other option is the extended battery packs usually come with a port for a car charger too. That's what I ended up doing.