Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Thatd be awesome... ill be sure to give you a heads up when i go out there. If you feel like hitting the same trails twice youre welcome to join.
Good thing about Manistee is there are plenty of trails. Hitting the same ones twice is fine, but you can easily divert onto a new path.

Ttwixxxx

Rank 0

Contributor II

Look what happened when you don't log in for a few days!! I'm thinking a meet up in January sounds great if anyone wants to work out a date. I would buy both a patch and a sticker if they became available. Also just (not even 2min ago) joined the Facebook page. Let's get out there Michigan!!!!

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Look what happened when you don't log in for a few days!! I'm thinking a meet up in January sounds great if anyone wants to work out a date. I would buy both a patch and a sticker if they became available. Also just (not even 2min ago) joined the Facebook page. Let's get out there Michigan!!!!
Got it. Welcome to the group. I think we're planning a group meetup in Jan/Feb to discuss some possible trip ideas. We haven't worked out where yet, but will hopefully have e something set in stone on the coming weeks. Not sure about patches,but one of my top priorities is to work on stickers and t-shirts for the new year.

Reactions: NZ4runner

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
How does one camp in the woods in Michigan from a legal requirement aspect? I have yet to find anything online to explain it to me. I assume federal and state lands will be different.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

How does one camp in the woods in Michigan from a legal requirement aspect? I have yet to find anything online to explain it to me. I assume federal and state lands will be different.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app
Dispersed camping is allowed in the parks. If you can set up camp you can stay. Not sure about state parks, but it's allowed in the Federal parks.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Okay, I'm a day late on this but here is the route we took in Manistee this past September if anyone is interested. The link should take you to a Google map of the planned route and the attachment should be a direct download GPX file of the route we actually took captured using the Earthmate app. If anyone has any problems, let me know.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zFrOd48Ql9HuFHdYQUnsd6KXE0E&usp=sharing

Attachments

Valmore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canonsburg PA, USA
First Name
Val
Last Name
Valiente
Member #

Okay, I'm a day late on this but here is the route we took in Manistee this past September if anyone is interested. The link should take you to a Google map of the planned route and the attachment should be a direct download GPX file of the route we actually took captured using the Earthmate app. If anyone has any problems, let me know.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zFrOd48Ql9HuFHdYQUnsd6KXE0E&usp=sharing
Thank you for sharing that map, can you tell a little more about that route, is it all dirt road? How long did it take you to complete it? I'm planning a trip for north Michigan this summer, I always go to Vanderbilt every year (Gaylord), I'd like to do a route like that on the way back to Pittsburgh.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Ttwixxxx

Rank 0

Contributor II

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Thank you for sharing that map, can you tell a little more about that route, is it all dirt road? How long did it take you to complete it? I'm planning a trip for north Michigan this summer, I always go to Vanderbilt every year (Gaylord), I'd like to do a route like that on the way back to Pittsburgh.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I'd say it was 80% dirt and 20% road. Most of it is going to take you through the forest, but there was some deviation to paved dirt roads and regular roads as well. The planned route was for 2 days and we ended up staying in the forest 2.5-3 days. None of it was too complicated and should be easily accomplished with just about any vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Overland Bound Talk

Reactions: Franco.overlanders

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

For those of you who might not have Facebook or are not a part of the group, here is a very early draft for this year's plans. Nothing is set in stone yet so adjustments could be made.

Initial meet up - Mt. Pleasant
Detroit Gambler 500 (possible if we can find a vehicle)
Meetup 1 - NE/W somewhere
Trip 1 - memorial day weekend
Meetup 2 - SE/W somewhere
Event - JeepEnd (June, potential)
Trip 2 - July 4th week
Event - Silver Lake Jeep Invasion (June/July, potential)
Meetup 3 - SE/W somewhere
Trip 3 - labor day weekend
Event - extreme ORV expo (potential)
Event - Jeep Creep (potential)
Trip 4 - tunnel of trees, end of october

We are looking for some ideas for the trips. Right now it's looking like a long UP run over the 4th of July week. The two smaller weekends are open, but Manistee is probably one of them. We are also considering doing a day/overnight trip to Bundy Hill. If you've got some ideas for places to go or even want to organize a trip, let me know.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
For those of you who might not have Facebook or are not a part of the group, here is a very early draft for this year's plans. Nothing is set in stone yet so adjustments could be made.

Trip 2 - July 4th week

We are looking for some ideas for the trips. Right now it's looking like a long UP run over the 4th of July week. The two smaller weekends are open, but Manistee is probably one of them. We are also considering doing a day/overnight trip to Bundy Hill. If you've got some ideas for places to go or even want to organize a trip, let me know.
This looks like a great tentative schedule. When are you thinking for the initial meet up? I can swing Mt. Pleasant fairly easily... we should get it added to the calendar. Manistee sounds good for a trip - maybe we could combine it with a NW meetup?

Reactions: Valmore

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

This looks like a great tentative schedule. When are you thinking for the initial meet up? I can swing Mt. Pleasant fairly easily... we should get it added to the calendar. Manistee sounds good for a trip - maybe we could combine it with a NW meetup?
Thanks. I think the initial is going to be at Mountain Town Brewing in Mt. Pleasant. That seemed to be the most central location for most of our members. As soon as I have dates solidified I can definitely add them to the calendar. I should have a rough idea by the end of the week for dates.

Reactions: Valmore

Trenchfighter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Perry, Michigan
Member #

Hello All,

Happy to be here. Just joined the forums last week. I live in Perry, between Lansing and Flint. Has anyone brought up the idea of doing a season of nothing but "Trail Mapping"? I know that trail maps exist, but they are not necessarily suited to Overlanding. I'd be interested in joining up with a group to target and map major areas around the state to create a repository of area maps and adventures. I think the best way to create awareness is to make it easy for more people to participate!

Ill be tuned in, was anything decided for a January meet up?

Reactions: Captain Josh

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Hello All,

Happy to be here. Just joined the forums last week. I live in Perry, between Lansing and Flint. Has anyone brought up the idea of doing a season of nothing but "Trail Mapping"? I know that trail maps exist, but they are not necessarily suited to Overlanding. I'd be interested in joining up with a group to target and map major areas around the state to create a repository of area maps and adventures. I think the best way to create awareness is to make it easy for more people to participate!

Welcome. I've considered it for our site. Having a map of routes done by members. We aren't there, yet. There was an app I found that had routes, but if remember correctly it was more for snowmobiles and ATVs. Most folks I've talked to have been pretty receptive to sharing what they have.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Hello All,

This is our planned schedule for the year:

http://www.michiganoverland.com/events/

Mississippi Sasquatch

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Member #

There is a State land I go to every year just right next to Little town called Vanderbilt, there are all kinds of beautiful lakes and rivers in that area, I highly suggest Pickerel Lake, awesome place to Overland.

I live in Pittsburgh, not many places to overland unless you go to West Virginia.
I used to Live in Petoskey. I've hit a bunch of these Trails. I also did a lot up in the UP. Mainly around Munising and Picture Rocks area. There's a lot of trails connecting Grand Maris and Munising.

Mississippi Sasquatch

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Member #

Trip 2 - July 4th week

Ill be in Michigan in August. We'll be stopping in Mt. Pleasant to visit our daughter then up to Petoskey to see friends. After that up to Drummond Island to see Family. Going to go hit the trails I know from Grand Maris to Munising and camp a few days and kayak around Picture Rocks. Then head off to the Kewana for some exploring. After that going to head over to the Apostle Islands then going to do a Backpacking Trip on Isle Royale. Anyone interested in meeting up feel free to message me.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Ill be in Michigan in August. We'll be stopping in Mt. Pleasant to visit our daughter then up to Petoskey to see friends. After that up to Drummond Island to see Family. Going to go hit the trails I know from Grand Maris to Munising and camp a few days and kayak around Picture Rocks. Then head off to the Kewana for some exploring. After that going to head over to the Apostle Islands then going to do a Backpacking Trip on Isle Royale. Anyone interested in meeting up feel free to message me.
I'm jealous of the Isle Royale trip. I've wanted to do that for awhile now.