Any Fellow Michigander?

• HTML tutorial

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

[QUOTE=" The overland bug got me this year itself when I accidentally stumbled upon Expedition Overland Alaska/Yukon series. I immediately sold my car to a friend and got myself a 4x4 and loving it every bit except for the gas mileage lol. [/QUOTE]

The Expedition Overland series is what got me really interested as well. I already have a big list of places i want to visit from watching the series. Dalton Hwy in Alaska is now in my top 3 of places to eventually drive...

Reactions: desiryder

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Im in metro detroit... Ill be getting my 4Runner in May, and ill be on the road as much as possible then. Ill be looking for some beginner trails to start with, but a heads up on anything interesting here in Michigan would be much appreciated. Some friends to explore with would be cool too...
Manistee has a pretty extensive and good beginner trail system. Nothing too technical or too small. We ran a two full size vehicles through there this past September with no issue.

Sent from my VS995 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: NZ4runner

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Absolutely. If it would help we also have a website ( www.michiganoverland.com) we can easily add an events calendar to.

Sweet! We can probably get major events cross posted to the OB calendar too. If you ever do a run of stickers and/or patches for the Michigan Overland logo I would definitely be down for some of those.

Reactions: Ttwixxxx

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Sweet! We can probably get major events cross posted to the OB calendar too. If you ever do a run of stickers and/or patches for the Michigan Overland logo I would definitely be down for some of those.
I have a design worked up and did a short order to test them, just haven't had the chance to get a bunch printed. It's on my to-do list for the coming year [emoji3].

desiryder

Rank 0

Contributor I

If anyone is interested a overland Facebook group was started specifically for Michigan a little while back ( https://m.facebook.com/groups/1544818842449644?ref=bookmarks ). It's relatively young, but we are tying to organize some meetups and group trips for the coming year.

That sounds awesome....already sent a join request to the group. I thought Michigan was not overland friendly but its turning out that I am wrong. That's good!
P.S : I have convinced my friend into overlanding as well and he will be getting a Taco this summer and will be glad to join us.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

That sounds awesome....already sent a join request to the group. I thought Michigan was not overland friendly but its turning out that I am wrong. That's good!
P.S : I have convinced my friend into overlanding as well and he will be getting a Taco this summer and will be glad to join us.
Got it and approved. I think Michigan ends up being a dark horse. We might not have the hardcore trail systems like other states (although we do have good ones) we certainly have plenty of places to see and visit. That was our intent, to not just promote overlanding in the state but also all of the great places we have that people may not know about.

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Manistee has a pretty extensive and good beginner trail system. Nothing too technical or too small. We ran a two full size vehicles through there this past September with no issue.

I just checked out the videos on the michigan overland site. That looks pretty fun... i think that would be some good first trails for me.

Reactions: michiganoverland

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I just checked out the videos on the michigan overland site. That looks pretty fun... i think that would be some good first trails for me.
Glad you liked them. They are not technical at all. We only had one issue and it's kind of embarrassing, but we couldn't cross a small little creek that had a high bank because my front bumper was too low and getting me caught (I drive the suburban). Other than some pinstripes nothing stood in the way.

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Glad you liked them. They are not technical at all. We only had one issue and it's kind of embarrassing, but we couldn't cross a small little creek that had a high bank because my front bumper was too low and getting me caught (I drive the suburban). Other than some pinstripes nothing stood in the way.
Hey do you remember any of the actual trail names? Im trying to look up maps on the DNR website. I have a family cottage in the "white cloud" area, and just south of the "baldwin and manistee" areas. Im just trying to plan a few quick trips through there. If you dont remember specific names or locations ill just wing it and see where i end up haha.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Hey do you remember any of the actual trail names? Im trying to look up maps on the DNR website. I have a family cottage in the "white cloud" area, and just south of the "baldwin and manistee" areas. Im just trying to plan a few quick trips through there. If you dont remember specific names or locations ill just wing it and see where i end up haha.
Not sure about trail names, but I did map the route we ended up taking. I also pre-mapped some of it before going. I'd be happy to share them with you.

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Not sure about trail names, but I did map the route we ended up taking. I also pre-mapped some of it before going. I'd be happy to share them with you.
Thatd be awesome... ill be sure to give you a heads up when i go out there. If you feel like hitting the same trails twice youre welcome to join.

M Ladetto

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Waterford, MI
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ladetto
Member #

I live in Waterford and own a '14 Subaru Outback. Always looking for suggestions on where we can get off pavement.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I live in Waterford and own a '14 Subaru Outback. Always looking for suggestions on where we can get off pavement.
We've got some suggestions for places to visit on the site, not necessarily trails. I've also got a mapped route from this past September I'm going to share here once I'm back home. You can also ask on the group page and you should get some answers.