Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

A few years ago, my Dad was in his last days.Mom called & said " I think you should come home, he's not well". this is in South Jersey & its a 9 mile ride between my house & theres. We had heavy snow coming down with 8" already on the ground. I pulled out 14 people on the trip....8 of whom were on their way to Wawa (a local convenience store chain). Their reason for being out? "I just wanted to Get a coffee". Jeez....doesn't anybody make coffee at home anymore?

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Lol. Yeah you guys up north are better prepared in general for cold weather stuff. Also, since snow is a common occurrence for y’all, I assume that people don’t lose their minds when it snows and drive like maniacs? Snow and ice in the south is a terrifying experience for everyone involved. Even if you know what you’re doing, everybody around you doesn’t, and is actively losing their minds. It would be funny if it weren’t so dangerous.
Oh how I wish. How I WISH that were true!

Yesterday we got 14 inches of snow between 3pm and 3am. This morning at 10 am I set out for town from the farm. About 40 miles one way. Cars spun off in the ditches and median every 1/8th mile all the way there and back. Didn't notice any out-of-state plates. People who live up here, experience this weather every year, and are equipped with FWD/AWD vehicles with traction control, etc. Doesn't make any sense.
Haha yep. I think most people around me are fairly competent winter drivers, but there are definitely some folks who just can’t drive and then there’s the morons who drive AWD/4wd vehicles and think that means they can drive in snow like it’s sunny and 70 degrees. All cars have four wheel brakes!

Reactions: rockymntjeeper

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

Not to knock your preparations, but are you planning a feast if you get stuck?? Do you really expect your wife to go light up a pellet stove and cook a meal if she gets stranded alone??
Blankets, flashlight, shovel, proper winter clothing, a fat candle, lighter and a few protein bars and water bottles you will survive just fine. Cell phone charger and snow brush/window scraper shouldn't even need to be mentioned...

PB&Me

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Merges
Member #

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
One detail I have not seen mentioned: If you are taking sand as a traction aid, make sure you get DRY sand. The typical bag of sand from Home Depot/Lowe's is not necessarily dry, and will become a large rock of sandstone when it freezes. DAMHIKT.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

I didn't see anyone mention it in a post, but have a shovel of some sort in your vehicle too. I live in the northeast and try to have one in my Jeep through the winter. I used to have to work in all conditions. I used the shovel to dig out more than once and if you slide off the road a little and are by your self. Self recovery is sometimes the only option.

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

I didn't see anyone mention it in a post, but have a shovel of some sort in your vehicle too. I live in the northeast and try to have one in my Jeep through the winter. I used to have to work in all conditions. I used the shovel to dig out more than once and if you slide off the road a little and are by your self. Self recovery is sometimes the only option.
any brand you recommend?

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

any brand you recommend?
I have one Ozark trail foldable that broke on me, so I had to repair that, so maybe not one of those. I also have a SOG that seems to be a little better quality. I would recommend either a military surplus (I think those would be sturdy), or just a small normal type shovel from a hardware store. As long as it has a steel blade and a metal or wooden handle, and looks to be decent quality, I think you will be ok. I probably will be getting one of the small shovels myself soon like the first two pics, as they are probably sturdier than the folding design. Pics for reference purposes only.Screenshot_20181210-115530_Chrome.jpegScreenshot_20181210-115732_Chrome.jpegScreenshot_20181210-120154_Chrome.jpeg

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

No offense, but that would bend and break in icy snow. That is why I suggested something sturdy.
Ok I was posting a light weight breakdown spade that can deal with fresh snow.
It’s fresh snow and not layers in a storm.

This is as sturdy as the SOG shovel you have referenced

If you want a sturdy spade the here is one I would recommend.

5AD3CAC2-7DCB-465C-8B27-AC29AC690392-11315-00000D35E3350A27.jpeg

Last edited: