Kerrville, Tx
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Fullen
Member #

Service Branch
None
Have you pulled it around any with the new hitch? Let us know how you like it!

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Paint is done inside, since we ran out of paint last time I decided to use a gallon that was left in my garage by the previous owners of my house (bought it in 2011, looked old then, lol). Turned out to be a nice blue, got the trim done in light grey, and painted the floor with some tan paint that was also left behind. 20180908_192843.jpeg20180908_173904.jpeg

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Threw the queen air bed in, test run this weekend [emoji16] View attachment 68309
Nice. Hope it all goes well. We just had our first trailer trip. Don't get down when you find something isn't right or to your liking. Use it as a chance to figure out what will work and how to make it better. I had to snap my self out of it when out fridge craped out on day 2 and food went bad.

Reactions: Spud

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Nice. Hope it all goes well. We just had our first trailer trip. Don't get down when you find something isn't right or to your liking. Use it as a chance to figure out what will work and how to make it better. I had to snap my self out of it when out fridge craped out on day 2 and food went bad.
No good! What I'll probably learn is that I can't stand the pintle hitch and will need a lock-n-roll asap, lol. I'm really curious to see how it does behind the truck, and how the truck does as well.

StormChaser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Roaming, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Oddi
Hello from Portland, your build looks great so far! Mind if I ask what the trailer cost you to be ordered with those upgrades? I've been considering the same size trailer to pull behind my 4Runner. Also, any idea of empty weight?

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Hello from Portland, your build looks great so far! Mind if I ask what the trailer cost you to be ordered with those upgrades? I've been considering the same size trailer to pull behind my 4Runner. Also, any idea of empty weight?
Hello! I think the trailer was about 3700 in the end (roof fan, led interior light, windows, 4" lift, custom fenders, tongue box, trailer brakes, and the trailer is also an upgraded model with thicker flooring, undercoat, etc.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
So this weekend we drug the trailer around, went up and camped at Triangulation Point with other OB members. It was a success! We slept great, stayed nice and warm. The suspension is way too stiff right now, but before I go changing things we're going to build out more of the trailer as we'll be adding weight. The next project will be the side slide out kitchen, and bed frame.

I included a picture of Triangulation Point on a nice day, we woke up to a great view of fog! I'm taking the picture from the same place in both believe it or not, hahaPSX_20180916_185325.jpeg20180916_185213.jpeg20170731_135918.jpeg

Omerta 4x4

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Portland, OR
Member #

Sweet build! The trailer did great on the trail. I had a blast, let me know when you guys head up there again!

Looking to install my CB before I get out again.

StormChaser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Roaming, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Oddi
Hello! I think the trailer was about 3700 in the end (roof fan, led interior light, windows, 4" lift, custom fenders, tongue box, trailer brakes, and the trailer is also an upgraded model with thicker flooring, undercoat, etc.
Thanks for the reply. Not too bad of a price considering upgrades.

T4D ADV

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Murrieta, Ca
Member #

Great trailer! Looking forward to more updates on the trailer. What are you thoughts on your truck? Is it comfortable for long trips? How about the back seat? Are you happy with how it does offroad? If you could change anything what would it be? What is your actual MPG city/highway? Were thinking about getting one.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Great trailer! Looking forward to more updates on the trailer. What are you thoughts on your truck? Is it comfortable for long trips? How about the back seat? Are you happy with how it does offroad? If you could change anything what would it be? What is your actual MPG city/highway? Were thinking about getting one.
Thanks!

For long trips, it is really comfortable, our longest 1 shot drive so far has been roughly 400 miles and we had no complaints. Back seat, honestly not sure, we never have people back there. Off road capability is awesome, the factory rear e-locker and hill descent control is pretty good. It usually gets around 16mpg city or highway, the front bumper ruined the aerodynamics so that might have to do with why it gets the same on the highway. Pulling our trailer off road it gets around 12ish.

When we bought it we were in the market for a Tacoma, and accidentally stumbled on this at a dealership. Wasn't even on my radar to look at, if you compare them to a similar equipped Toyota they're much much cheaper. But that doesn't last long, my biggest gripe is the major lack of aftermarket, you pay more to modify them since there's not much to choose from. It's cheaper to outfit and modify a Toyota. I don't regret my choice though, it's been a great truck.

Reactions: T4D ADV

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Starting putting lights on the trailer, 2 on the right side, 1 on the back, and 1 on the left side. I need to wire them still. These were on my truck's roof rack. 20180920_125442.jpeg

Robert Fullen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kerrville, Tx
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Fullen
Member #

Service Branch
None

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Where did you find those? Thats a great way to do it!
You can get that tubing at Home Depot, I welded the bracket on the larger tube, had to add washers to keep the smaller inside tube from being able to bump into the body. I also welded the feet on the smaller tube. It's all coated so it won't rust but I had to grind some of it off for welding, hence the paint.

Reactions: Robert Fullen

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Huge change in the suspension today, found out how easy it is to separate the leaf packs. The suspension finally moves! I'll be rotating leafs through to find the right setup but I figured I'll start as soft as possible and go from there. 20180924_104739.jpeg20180924_110030.jpeg

Reactions: mylilpwny

Robert Fullen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kerrville, Tx
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Fullen
Member #

Service Branch
None

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
You could put the leafs over the axle and gain even more ground clearance!
Lol, no way, the frame is already 2' off the ground. Plus I decided on this method of lift because I could keep the springs under, supposedly the short trailer springs will last longer spring under when they're being used off road. Something to do with minimalizing the front to rear torque on them, I guess if the axle is under the springs then it becomes a lever and twists them more.

Reactions: Robert Fullen