St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
After a long wait, my base for a trailer build finally showed up. I ordered it with windows, a powered roof vent, 4" lift, tongue box, and an interior light.

I opted to get it without a side door, my logic is that the raised platform inside that I will build would make the door difficult to use, the platform won't extend all the way back, so there will be a short floor space between the back door and bed to hang your feet over to make it easier to get changed, put on shoes, get in the trailer, etc (about 14").

My plan (at this time, lol) is to have a 6" foam mattress on a raised platform. I don't have any sketches, so I'll do my best to explain. The first 3' under the bed up front will not be accessible from inside, there will be a door on the passenger side exterior that you open to pull a 48" long drawer out. That will house the camp stove, pots, pans, utensils, and be a counter top space for cooking.

In the next space there will be a narrow section to house a water tank and pump. Next up will be an ARB fridge on the right side (to keep it as low profile as possible and maintain head room the last part of the bed will be hinged with gas struts, so you lift the bed top up to access the fridge vs a fridge slide). The rest of the space will be left open for totes of some kind.

My plan is to make a net from Paracord just big enough up front that will hold our duffles with clothes overhead. Floor will get sanded and stained, walls painted, obviously insulation and such will be done as well (ceiling included). I also plan to extend the tongue a foot and install a pintle hitch instead of a max coupler or lock n roll (personal preference).

Anywho, that covers the plan. I've only had the trailer in my possession for 2 days, but I ordered it 12 weeks ago, I've had time to think about it [emoji1]

So far my only mod is installing adapters to fit some stock size Nissan wheels that match my truck's (6x4.5 lug pattern), 265/75r16 tires. I need to take it back Tuesday to order fenders and get the tongue box.

Pics!PSX_20180819_231018.jpegPSX_20180819_210851.jpeg20180819_204010.jpeg20180819_160640.jpeg20180819_163832.jpeg

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
We ended up having to get fenders custom made, the dealership got them ordered for me today and put the tongue box on they forgot about when I ordered it. Now we wait. 20180821_104416.jpeg

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Today my wife and I got paint for the interior from Sherwin Williams. Powder Blue and Collonade Gray, should look nice and bright inside. The blue will be for the 2 side walls and the gray will be for the front wall, roof, and doors. Hoping to get the RV battery mounted this weekend too. 20180825_134815.jpeg

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Bit of a problem already, went to Home Depot yesterday, and the thinnest plywood I can get (I think it was referenced as underlayment) doesn't seem flexible enough for the ceiling curvature. I've used another product in my bathroom here at home called FRP, it's a fiberglass reinforced panel, usually comes in white with a texture on one side. It's really flexible, but about 3 times the cost of the plywood idea I had in mind unfortunately. So I'm a little nervous about trying it. I'm also considering going with Reflectix instead of the foam, not nearly as effective but with the correct air gaps it might not be too bad and would be easier to deal with the curves of the roof. We're going from a tent to this trailer so I figure any form of insulation is better than what a tent offers, lol. Could always upgrade later on.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Gonna give this a try, went to a different home depot and got reflectix, and this project board (it's corrugated plastic, like what yard signs are made out of). It was cheaper than my original idea, and really light. Also got self drilling #8 screws and finish washers to hold it up. Gonna leave it white, so the inside color scheme will be blue and white instead. 20180827_114719.jpeg20180827_114733.jpeg

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Welded the cross bars for the battery on, and also started installing reflectix. Glued it to the roof, also gluing it to the plastic panel, but ran out. Marked out where the cross bars are so I could poke holes to mark screw locations for when I attach the panel. 20180827_150544.jpeg20180827_151238.jpeg20180827_151925.jpeg20180827_161927.jpeg20180827_171930.jpeg

Reactions: old_man

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

If that sheet you got isn't to your liking you can try going to a lumber yard and getting a sheet of door skin. It is as the name implies the skin on a door like your bedrooms. Very thin and easy so manage curves. We used to use this in set design alot because of weight and curves. Usually you can pick it up in standard plywood sheet sizes. If you are just looking for it to be essentially a cover and no strength for anything I would look into it.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Well shoot, that would have worked great. I talked to several specialty lumber places and couldn't find stuff thin enough, maybe if I knew the right terminology, lol. I'll try this plastic stuff for a while and see how it does, got everything glued on so stuck with it for now at least.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Headliner is up. I need to source a better surround for the roof vent, it's about as thick as a solo cup... 20180830_133122.jpeg

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Battery mounted, threw the fan trim ring away, and mounted the light. Going kinda slow, been building a 36x48 shop the past few months, lol20180831_132849.jpeg20180831_132940.jpeg20180831_144001.jpeg

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Looks good. You making good progress even with building the shop you showed. May I suggest that even tho the bed will be in that section where the wood is unpainted, I would still either paint it or coat it in some way. This will help keep moisture from soaking into the wood and creating potential molding issues in the future.

Reactions: Spud

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Looks good. You making good progress even with building the shop you showed. May I suggest that even tho the bed will be in that section where the wood is unpainted, I would still either paint it or coat it in some way. This will help keep moisture from soaking into the wood and creating potential molding issues in the future.
I love your use name [emoji16] yeah that's a good idea, hadn't thought of that.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I love your use name [emoji16] yeah that's a good idea, hadn't thought of that.
Thanks. Actually came from a job I used to have. Used yo have another screen name/gamer tag before that. Used to work at a laser quest years back and rule was if you forgot your name tag the manager would make you one with whatever he decided. He decided mylilpony. The next day I changed it and have been rolling with it eve since for 11 years lol.

Reactions: Spud

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Got the lunette ring installed, yay more articulation! This was a $38 fix to get it to behave better off road, eventually I'll upgrade to an actual off road hitch, and now I have the C channel to do it. Also got the fenders on, they're huge! 12" deep, 36" wide, glad I went with custom made, they fit great :) 20180907_115839.jpeg20180907_122856.jpegPSX_20180907_143703.jpeg20180904_191802.jpeg20180904_191700.jpeg