Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Working on accessory security in the bed of the truck. The idea is to make it more difficult for a "smash & grab" opportunity while traveling. I live in a low-crime area so my main concerns are when parked in town for very short periods of time and when traveling.

I added a cable lock which winds around the shovel and axe but I need to play with the routing so the axe is more secure. So this is meant as an example only. It's not very secure with this routing.

I added a small lock for the gas can also.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I replaced the worn velcro straps on my RTT. The VELCRO wasn't holding anymore and on my last camping trip I had to place zipties around the straps to keep them in place. I bought about $20 in buckles and new 1" strap to replace all of the velcro items on the tent. ACE Hardware FTW!

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

DV8 Offroad makes steel bumpers for full-size trucks and the GM Twins. I purchased their 887 wheels, which are specifically made for the GM Twins, a few months ago and have been happy with them. DV8 appears at first glance to cater only to Jeeps. They make a ton of cool bumpers, swingouts and other off-road gear for Jeeps but what I missed was while looking through the site the first time was their offerings for trucks. They happen to make a nice looking rear bumper and steel front bumper winch mount and skid plate for the Canyon. The skid and rear bumper will also work on the Colorado.

DV8 Off-Road

I did some research on other forums for reviews and opinions on the DV8 products and everyone seems generally pleased with the quality so I called them up for more info. I spoke to one of the co-founders who happens to own a very nice Canyon. They started the company in 2013 with a big focus on Jeeps but have sinced started to diversify to include full-size trucks and now the Twins. Cole noticed the lack of aftermarket options for his Canyon when he bought it and started having parts design for it.

Co-founder, Cole McMath's Canyon all decked out in DV8 metalwork.

I really liked the vibe I got from Cole as well as interactions I've had with the company on Instagram so I decided to give their bumpers a shot. I am not ready to go all out with a full front bumper so the "stealth" style bumpers with winch cradle work better for my current needs. I really like the styling on this one and it comes powdercoated for a resonable price and their even more resonably priced front skid mounts right up to it. I needed both of these items desperately so score for me!

Front Bumper
Stealth style steel bumper insert and steel skid.

Rear Bumper
I also picked up the rear bumper at the same time hoping for a package deal. I comes powdercoated and the flush mount LEDs preinstalled. I really like the idea of the Relentless Fab rear bumper but I'm not keen on the tow hitch behind the license plate given how often I haul our bikes around so the DV8 will work better for me. I'll have plenty of clearance for off-roading where I need it most. I'll need to trim or re-route the last couple of feet of exhaust pipe for max clearance.

I did A LOT of research on winches as well. In a nutshell if you take care of them and use them properly all but the cheapest ones work well and last. ALL of the brands have failures so it really comes down to which ones you can get replacement parts for. Warn isn't difficult to work with but I've heard a lot of horror stories about getting small parts from Smittybilt which was my first choice. I decided to give the DV8 12k winch a shot knowing that if I can build a good customer relationship with DV8 I will have a much better chance of getting support in the future. DV8 is now part of a much larger corporation so they should have access to great resources yet still have the small shop accessability for the customer. It's worth a shot.

DV8 12k winch with synthetic rope and wired/wireless remote.

Hopefully I'll recieve my order next week and get it all installed by the weekend. I'll report back with photos and honest feedback. Crossing my fingers it all works out. :grin2:

Last edited:

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Looking good. I have the same backup lights waiting for me to get off my lazy ass and install them. Heads up on the wireless remote, carry 1 or 2 sets of spare batteries in the glove box, I learned the hard way.

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Looking good. I have the same backup lights waiting for me to get off my lazy ass and install them. Heads up on the wireless remote, carry 1 or 2 sets of spare batteries in the glove box, I learned the hard way.
Thanks for the heads up. The remote can be plugged into the winch as well but I'll have extra batteries as well. I should toss a battery charger (AA and AAA) in my gear bag as well. Could prove useful on those longer trips. Like when you go to turn on your headlamp for a run "to the loo" and realize the batteries are toast. lol

CJP

Rank I

Enthusiast I

MI, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
P
Been following your build for a while, digging your Canyon! I have a 2017 Canyon SB, I need to make a build thread with what I’ve been working on as well. I like that DV8 front bumper, it’s really sleek! Though I noticed it doesn’t have recovery hooks or points on it, but a guess if you have a winch you would be all set.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Been following your build for a while, digging your Canyon! I have a 2017 Canyon SB, I need to make a build thread with what I’ve been working on as well. I like that DV8 front bumper, it’s really sleek! Though I noticed it doesn’t have recovery hooks or points on it, but a guess if you have a winch you would be all set.
Thanks! Definitely start a build thread. I'd like to see your setup. We learn from each other. :)

I was/am concerned about the lack of recovery points too. I talked to DV8 about it and yes, with the winch you are mostly covered but there are times when you need a snatch or pull instead of a winch so I'm going to see if I can somehow retain my factory recovery points. I'll update with what I find but I don't see it being too difficult and I really like the look of tge DV8 piece. If enough people are concerned about the lack if points I bet they'll make changes. Their other bumpers have them.

Reactions: CJP

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I figured since I'd have the front grill/fascia and rear bumper off to install the DV8 gear I may as well do a 1.25" body lift as well. The main reason for the body lift is to create more tire clearance up front. For $130 it is worth it tto me to reduce tire rub while offroad. :)

Reactions: dj_mccomas

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
There well be recovery ears that use a bow shackle that bolts in place of the factory recovery hooks on the market very soon.

Reactions: CJP and JCWages

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Nice!! I found another winch bumper a few months ago, below is a link to it: Canyon Winch Bumper

I like fit of the DV8 better after seeing both, plus you can’t beat their price!
Midwest makes great product, I have their hidden winch mount on my ZR. You should check the 589FAB half bumper, it's a very nice unit.

collinrach22

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Louisiana
Member #

I replaced the worn velcro straps on my RTT. The VELCRO wasn't holding anymore and on my last camping trip I had to place zipties around the straps to keep them in place. I bought about $20 in buckles and new 1" strap to replace all of the velcro items on the tent. ACE Hardware FTW!
Do those clips hold well in the wind??

Kye_In_The_Sky

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Kyron
Last Name
Thomas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0WFT
Your truck is my inspiration. I have a 2015 Canyon all terrain Crew Cab long bed. How do you like the Baja Kits/King setup for the suspension? Did it make a big difference? I currently have the Eibach pro truck setup but I'd like better performance off road (mainly rough fire roads and trails) but I'm trying to decide between the ICON stage V and Baja kits prerunner with Kings Obviously the ICON is way more affordable but I dont know how much performance I would be giving up. Do you have any thoughts/advice?

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Your truck is my inspiration. I have a 2015 Canyon all terrain Crew Cab long bed. How do you like the Baja Kits/King setup for the suspension? Did it make a big difference? I currently have the Eibach pro truck setup but I'd like better performance off road (mainly rough fire roads and trails) but I'm trying to decide between the ICON stage V and Baja kits prerunner with Kings Obviously the ICON is way more affordable but I dont know how much performance I would be giving up. Do you have any thoughts/advice?
I'd say thanks but I think you are looking at Cole's truck from DV8 in the pictures above. lol It's a damn good looking rig for sure! I still need the fender flares and when that roof rack becomes available I'll be adding it too.

My truck is currently running the Eibach setup as well but my King 2.5s should be arriving any day now and I'll report back with my observations. When it comes time to replace the UCAs I'll be doing the Icons with Delta joints. I don't want to deal with uniballs. IMO go with the Kings if you want more cush and Icons with compression adjusters if you do more high speed trails and don't mind a firmer ride. If you are on the fence then just get the Kings. I lurk on the Toyota forums a lot and I have yet to hear of anyone complain about Kings when set up properly but a lot of people are disappointed with the Icons because they don't like the firmer/harsher ride at low speeds. And you don't have to do the UCAs at the same time. If money is tight then just get the shocks and keep the lift at 2.5" or lower until you can get the UCAs. It's easy enough to add preload and lift the truck later on down the road.