Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Been awhile, I’ve since added the DV8 rear bumper and a 500w pure sine wave inverter
How are you liking that dv8 bumper? I've been thinking about getting that one, do you think its strong enough to bolt shackle mounts to?
Well I’ve only had the bumper for a few days but my initial impression is great, DV8 makes a good product at an unbeatable price. As for shackles It seems stout enough for them.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Well I’ve only had the bumper for a few days but my initial impression is great, DV8 makes a good product at an unbeatable price. As for shackles It seems stout enough for them.
Cool thanks, thats probably what I will get, aside from not having the shackle mounts I think it is the best looking rear for our trucks, next best looking I think would probably be the honey badger.

Reactions: RJCanyon

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Cool thanks, thats probably what I will get, aside from not having the shackle mounts I think it is the best looking rear for our trucks, next best looking I think would probably be the honey badger.
No problem, I also think that the Relentless Fabrication bumper is super nice but it’s $1200+ shipped. The DV8 was $700. Not a better deal on the market, the factory bumper is almost $700

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
How well does the DV8 cover you if you drop off a ledge with your rear wheels? Will the steel of the rear bumper hit first or will the panels of the box of the truck hit?

I know some rear bumpers like the CBI offerings for Tacos and I think the AEV rears for the ZR2 have armoured protection right to the wheel, so in a ledge situation, there is protection there, but it's hard to tell from looking at the DV8 which would hit first.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

How well does the DV8 cover you if you drop off a ledge with your rear wheels? Will the steel of the rear bumper hit first or will the panels of the box of the truck hit?

I know some rear bumpers like the CBI offerings for Tacos and I think the AEV rears for the ZR2 have armoured protection right to the wheel, so in a ledge situation, there is protection there, but it's hard to tell from looking at the DV8 which would hit first.
I ordered mine a few days ago but from what I see no its not going to cover the panels. I haven't hit the panels yet with the stock rear with steps, I have hit the bumper and the reciever plenty, even flattened the exhaust tip a few times before I moved it up. I do however plan to bend some tubing and make my own aev style deal but I will attach it to the tow bar and frame not the bumper and frame.

Here is what is or isn't covered
download.jpeg-25.jpg

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Thanks Boost. That's good to know -- I like the DV8 one a lot in terms of how it looks and based on your experience it sounds like a better way of doing it would be a separate bed armour system. Let me know how you get on with that as I'd be interested in seeing it come together! I am not in a rush to do my rear bumper though -- I just put in an order for an ARB bumper for the front of mine so that chews up my mods budget for a while -- yes, the ARB is for the Colorado, and no, I have not been able to confirm if it will fit or not. If it does, I'll share the news and a walkthrough as that might be one more option up front. if it doesn't....well, tell your Colorado-owning friends to keep an eye on the classified section!

@RJCanyon that rear bumper looks great -- I think it is one of the best looking ones on the market. Nice rig!

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Yeah, I mean if you hit at just the right spot of the corner the panel would likely hit first but other than that it has decent coverage for a standard bumper. It’s not a “high clearance” bumper like the Relentless Fab by any means but it’s stout and will take a hit. Just ask @JCWages his was rear ended.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Thanks Boost. That's good to know -- I like the DV8 one a lot in terms of how it looks and based on your experience it sounds like a better way of doing it would be a separate bed armour system. Let me know how you get on with that as I'd be interested in seeing it come together! I am not in a rush to do my rear bumper though -- I just put in an order for an ARB bumper for the front of mine so that chews up my mods budget for a while -- yes, the ARB is for the Colorado, and no, I have not been able to confirm if it will fit or not. If it does, I'll share the news and a walkthrough as that might be one more option up front. if it doesn't....well, tell your Colorado-owning friends to keep an eye on the classified section!

@RJCanyon that rear bumper looks great -- I think it is one of the best looking ones on the market. Nice rig!
Thanks! Appreciate it!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I've got the midwest overland industries hidden winch center bumper, figured 200lb on the front was enough the outer plastic and fog lights will bend plenty if not ill put some tubing along the bottom there too.

I ordered the dv8 because I like the look, its cheap enough to justify for me, it looks to be able to add the tubing like I want and a truck with everything armored but the rear bumper looks a bit silly.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I originally hated these. I've rented a malibu, equinox, and an acadia over the last two weeks for work and I must say the GM stuff is comfortable and real nice. Looks like a great platform to build.
We were looking for a car for my girlfriend after her 04 Nissan Murano was smoking. We thought about a Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, Toyota Rav4 and 4Runner. We really liked the 4 Runner but that was a lot of truck for her all the time.

I have a 14 GMC Sierra that she likes a lot so she started looking at GMC products. I gotta say, after spending years making fun of the Acadia as a station wagon, we got into an Acadia Denali. It blew us away. Not the new ones, mind you - those interiors look like crap - but the update of the first generation that ran up until 2017 or so, they are phenomenal inside and out. And they got top notch safety scores. She went with a Terrain Denali and it is equipped with more safety features than my truck

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

And here is the final product! I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Now onto the important stuff...tires, I went with the Milestar Patagonia MT in 265/70R17 and let start by saying they absolutely rub. these tires due to the aggressive style are some of the largest 265/70R17 i've seen, it rubbed on the waffle and is REALLY close to the pinch weld in certain positions, less than finger width at its closest point (i'm going to have to cut it to feel comfortable).

now onto where they DON'T rub. they clear the frame, sway bar and upper control arms by miles in all directions.

my ultra on-the-spot fix was to completely delete the waffle and zip tie the fender well cover and to be honest it actually looks ok and gives me heaps of clearance, I will likely just leave it deleted as half ass as it may sound, aesthetics don't really concern me.

Final measurements:

Front: (taken from ground through center of wheel to fender)
36 7/8 inches

Rear:
37 7/8 inches

Tow Hitch:
17 1/2 inches

Rear bumper steps:
20 inches

View attachment 131082
View attachment 131083
View attachment 131084
View attachment 131085
View attachment 131086
View attachment 131087
View attachment 131088
Nice truck, RJ. All my trucks have been Chevy up until my current, 2014 GMC Sierra. Love it, and if I were going to go midsize, I thought I would go Canyon. I just wish there was a Canyon zr2!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Picked up an OBDLink MX+ and wow, this is an incredible device that has so much customization and control it’s overwhelming.

In my opinion this blows the ScanGauge 2 out of the water and it’s only $80.

It also has access to all of the enhanced GM trouble code information.

I can display hundreds of gauge combinations in any formation/size I choose. Customize the min/max of everything. The device is out of the way and uses your phone as it’s display. Probably one of the best mods I’ve done to date.

View attachment 135300
Pics of displays? Or have I not gotten there in the thread yet?

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Attachments