Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have the front DV8 skid but full skids are on the list...these love taps will eventually make me pay for it haha
They are worth it especially for our long wheelbase. I bent the crap outta one of my t case bolts over the weekend and am glad it was there the t case would have cracked if not. Im still figuring out how im going to do the transmission skid and i need to modify a dana 44 skid ive got laying around to fit our dan 46 diff.20200229_162248.jpg
Ive got the front stuff but surprisingly they dont hit too often its the middle thats the big problem.

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

They are worth it especially for our long wheelbase. I bent the crap outta one of my t case bolts over the weekend and am glad it was there the t case would have cracked if not. Im still figuring out how im going to do the transmission skid and i need to modify a dana 44 skid ive got laying around to fit our dan 46 diff.View attachment 142624
Ive got the front stuff but surprisingly they dont hit too often its the middle thats the big problem.
Yeah, ive tapped a few times and every time I do I tell myself i need skids lol

• Haha
Reactions: JCWages

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

AEV has a diff skid for your second gen trucks. Super Skidz were one of my first mods, the GM tcase skid is a joke.

Aev is just a couple of 1 inch bar stock welded to a plate on each side for $280 plus shipping . I looked at the super skids and 589 and wasnt impressed both in quality and price. Stock zr2 skids work real well and as of yet i havent been able to bend or crack any of the aluminum skids just the pot metal bolts they use.

Reactions: RJCanyon

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Weirdly enough most of the abuse ive put on mine rock crawling is right at the transmission support where the t case skid bolts to then the round bar behind it that the def fluid tube is hooked to ive pinched that one pretty good, my tailpipe has been flattened and rear bumper lower edge has some bends in it they arent very noticable though, last is the rear differential i have taken a few small chunks out of the housing. Im real surprised i havent ripped off the rear shock mounts yet or damaged the fuel filters.

Reactions: JCWages

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Aev is just a couple of 1 inch bar stock welded to a plate on each side for $280 plus shipping . I looked at the super skids and 589 and wasnt impressed both in quality and price. Stock zr2 skids work real well and as of yet i havent been able to bend or crack any of the aluminum skids just the pot metal bolts they use.
The OEM front two skids get the job done, the t-case skid is little more than sheet metal. Another item is the 589Fab skid support bracket. Several cases of the OEM bending and contacting the steering rack.

The trails I run I'm more likely to drag the undercarriage over stumps and logs, so far the full coverage of the Super Skidz has worked great.

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

After about a 3 week back order my Go Rhino Dominator DSS Sliders finally arrived.

I will start off with a little disclaimer: I fully understand that these are not real "sliders", they mount to the body in the same fashion as the factory ZR2 sliders. I knew that when I bought them. I don't rock crawl, these will provide the protection im looking for against accidental rubs, bumps and taps. I didn't want to weld on my frame nor pay the premium for a bolt on frame design, the Go Rhino sliders were just under $500 shipped and for that provide a tremendous value in my opinion.

Now, on to the sliders. Although they took awhile to arrive, when they did they were packaged extremely well and were issue free, all hardware was there. One other thing to note however, the sliders themselves are actually a universal kit, the only thing that is Canyon/Colorado specific is the hardware box which comes in a separate shipment, because of that they are NOT wheel-to-wheel but they do completely cover the cab.

These sliders are very stout and weigh about 40-50lbs per side, In my opinion are much better built to take a hit than the ZR2 sliders. They do utilize all 4 mounting locations on each side and provide ample coverage underneath. They sit about 3/4 of an inch below the pinch weld and only stick out about 2 3/4 inches from the door sill. They do not stick out past the wheels and are tucked towards the body nicely (I do have 0mm offset wheels though, your experience may vary) They can be used as a step although I can only get about a quarter of my foot on them before i hit the truck. I personally don't need to change the way I enter or exit the vehicle.

Overall im very satisfied with the product and would recommend them to anyone with a twin.

IMG_1934.jpgIMG_1935.jpgIMG_1937.JPGIMG_1938.jpgIMG_1939.jpgIMG_1940.jpgIMG_1942.jpgIMG_1944.jpgIMG_1945.jpg

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

For awhile now I’ve been looking for a good fog light setup that didn’t break the bank, that wasn’t just replacement bulbs because the stock lens and reflector are just not good and could utilize the factory switch.

I chose to go with the Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport fog light kit in amber. It really checked all the boxes for me and I’m more than satisfied.

fog.jpg
1591046526817.png

BizzyB

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Englewood, CO 80112, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Baecker
Member #

Oh hey, recognize your truck from the Coloradofans forums. The Dominator DSS sliders gave it away since we were the first to get them. :) I should start a build thread over here at some point for my Colorado also. I gotta get those fog lights at some point.

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Oh hey, recognize your truck from the Coloradofans forums. The Dominator DSS sliders gave it away since we were the first to get them. :) I should start a build thread over here at some point for my Colorado also. I gotta get those fog lights at some point.
Start one!!

Kevinista

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Obetz, OH 43207, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
CRESS
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5GEC

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

So when I go camping I utilize my tailgate as a table. I always have, its built in and I don't need to waste packing space by bringing a separate table. It works great except for one thing, its not flat.

Naturally, I googled looking for a solution and came across Mountain Hatch who makes a cutting board insert for the tailgate of the Colorado/Canyon. It's a great product and exactly what I was looking for, unfortunately at $230+ it just wasn't justifiable for me. Awesome product, too much $.

As I was researching, it dawned on me that the Mountain Hatch is just outdoor grade 1/2" thick HDPE plastic and I figured I could make it myself. Luckily for me my mom is a regional manager for a massive plastic manufacturer, they sell massive quantities to other manufacturers. So I took measurements and called my mom to be on the lookout for scraps at that size. About a week later she had one, Its 48" x 19" 1/2" thick outdoor grade HDPE in black with a textured finish.

IMG_2102.jpg

I removed the tailgate access panel and used it as a template to mark the holes

IMG_2104.jpg

I used an 11/64 drill bit to drill the holes, I needed to source longer screws because with it being 1/2" thick, the factory screws were too short. Screws i used were 8 x 1 1/2 pan head

IMG_2105.jpg

Here is the finished product, I may remove it and round off the corners if I feel like it.

IMG_2106.jpgIMG_2107.jpgIMG_2108.jpg

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Well, I made the plunge and am stepping into the coilover world. (Not my first rodeo though, had a full camburg setup on my Tacoma )

When I bought this truck I knew immediately I wanted a coilover setup. I ordered a set of Fox 2.5 factory series with DSC adjusters about a month ago and still have another month or so of waiting because they are on back order. I paired them with a set of Camburg uni-ball upper control arms and they arrived today! One step closer.

camburg.jpeg