Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Good afternoon everyone! I just wanted to take a second and start a thread for my rig. For the time being its gonna be slow going thanks to $$ but I wanted to share my vision and get some reccomendations from everyone.

Here is a recent trip I did in the Defiant to Occotio Wells state park near Thermal, CA.

Overall I have been very impressed with the performance and what I have been doing in stock 20 inch wheels with little tiny sidewalls. I definitely wish to make my first "mod" some new shoes. I am debating between getting a 20 inch AT since this is my daily driver and I do want to maintain decent fuel economy (getting 20 to 25 mostly around town). Also dont want to be buzzed into a headache by some aggressive treads. I also want to look into getting 18" wheels and that opens a much larger selection of possible tires. Ideally, I would like to maintain all my tps sensors.

This is what happened at Lake Mormon, Az last year.

Next in the list after shoes, i would like to beef up the undercarriage protection. I have gotten hung up and caught dings on a rock pile before. Plus as payments are still being made and it is a daily driver not beaking it off roading would be nice.

Third, what do most of you guys use on the roof? I love my Thule roof box for distance travel, but it is limited in weight and size for what it can carry, but it is water tight and aerodynamic.

If you made it this far thank you and i look forward to future discussion.

-Trevor

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Thanks for the interest! I dont see many built up wk2's where I am.

NorthMan

Rank 0

Contributor I

I like your Thule box. Which model is it? Is it clearing the tail gate while fully open? I am shopping for such a box that would clear the tail gate with factory bars.

I swap 20" wheels for 18" wheels on mine for being able to air down a little more than 20" tires. Jeep's 18" wheels is not a beautiful as 20" wheels, but usability (airing down) and more choices were more important.

Reactions: Meta6981

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

I like your Thule box. Which model is it? Is it clearing the tail gate while fully open? I am shopping for such a box that would clear the tail gate with factory bars.
Its the hyper xl. It is not as large as the sonic xl but is far more aerodynamic.

http://www.racknroad.com/product/thule-612-hyper-xl.html

I can usually take the box on and off solo too. It does clear the lift gate when open. Thats part of the adjustment when putting it on. Center it and you want it as far back without hitting the liftgate.

I do want to get 18" tires for off roading but keep the 20"s for distance and day to day driving.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthMan

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

You'll have to keep your TPMS sensors active as tire shops are technically not allowed to let a non-functioning TPMS go out the door.

Reactions: Meta6981

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

You'll have to keep your TPMS sensors active as tire shops are technically not allowed to let a non-functioning TPMS go out the door.
I intended to keep them active as its a handy reading to have

norseman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kearney, NE
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Lundell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0WWQ
I drive a 2014 WK2 Overland daily. The tires I have on my 20" rims are Nitto Terra Graplers. I have been very happy with them and the roof rack is from www.rocky-road.com I have been happy with it also. Just a few ideas for you. Have fun with yours. I will be interested in what you do with it. :)DSCF2240.JPG

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

I drive a 2014 WK2 Overland daily. The tires I have on my 20" rims are Nitto Terra Graplers. I have been very happy with them and the roof rack is from www.rocky-road.com I have been happy with it also. Just a few ideas for you. Have fun with yours. I will be interested in what you do with it. :)View attachment 3099
How do the nittos interact with the QL system? Does it still drop to entry/exit and aero mode with no issue?

norseman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kearney, NE
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Lundell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0WWQ
How do the nittos interact with the QL system? Does it still drop to entry/exit and aero mode with no issue?

No, I have never had a problem like that. The QL system has always acted normal. The Nitto tires are the same size as the stock ones that came on it when new.

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

*Update time!* So I just got the go ahead to order my wheels and skidplates.

The wheels are going to be 18 X 8 (5x5 bolt pattern) steel wheels from mopar. After alot of research I decided on steel because if it takes a lick in the sticks no harm no foul and get home.

Skidplates are just gonna be factory mopar(front axle, transfer case, and fuel tanks). I will make additions later as $ and a retailer (Chief products) I am watching moves opens in the US instead of shipping from AU.

Left for debate is wheel selection. I am leaning towards the nitto terra grapplers, bf goodrich rugged terrain, or all terrain. All in 260 to 275/60 to 65/ r18 range.

Any advise or past experiance feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
Trevor

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Wheels and skidplates are in! Waiting for the weekend so I can install the plates. Also waiting for tires to come in. I ordered the Nitto Terra Grappler G2's in 275/65/R18. Hopefully they can come in by Friday so that knocks out half the weekends tasks.

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Taken after removing the thin cheap plastic skidplates.

Photo from the rear of the oil pan, transfer case, and fuel tank mopar skidplates installed.

Added trail rated badges since I feel the "Defiant" is worthy.

And last but most important...

Overlandbound 1248 mounted on lift gate, in line with stock emblems.

Glad I was able to get all the big stuff mounted, before heading to Overland Expo this year!

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Whew, Its been insanely busy since the return from Overland Expo 2016. I discovered a few things that I needed to add, rectify, Experiment with etc while on that journey.

One major issue was that I had no large storage available for something that was not short, light, soft, and fitting in the size that is my Thule Hyper. I also had some latch issues with closing the lid on the thule. So I have recently upped my roof storage to a Yakima Mega warrior. Most likely I will add the extension in in the near future. The rack over the roof box will save time loading and unloading as I do not have to play jigsaw master. But it comes at expense of shedding major fuel economy!

The next thing that needed to be changed was communications and navigation: I had a CB hand pack that could barely keep up with the vehicle in front of me once we hit the FR's at the north rim of grand canyon. On the highway it did alright. I have picked up a 75 WX st Cobra CB and will be getting either a Wilson 1000 or a K40 magnetic mounted antenna. Hopefully that will be able to reach the convoy when it spreads out in the woods.

Finally I need to add more illumination for night time operation. I have not yet begun to research this but its on the list. We had a difficult time navigating and looking for the right FR to turn onto heading out in the hours of the dark.