2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 Build

• HTML tutorial

disco_unchained

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlingame, CA, USA
Member #

How does this handle on the freeway? Much road noise? Does it get blown around?

trying to decide between This or A Land Cruiser
Oh man, that's like trying to decide between Catholicism and Judaism - good luck.

As for the highway, it's not as noisy as I would have thought with the tires (the Cooper STT Pros are surprisingly quiet), but between the tires and the rack and lights, it's pretty loud wind-wise. It gets blown around a fair bit given the height. But nothing unmanageable or unsafe. Most of my trips are with family and 4+ hours out of the bay area, and it hasn't been a deterrent for us yet.

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Oh man, that's like trying to decide between Catholicism and Judaism - good luck.

As for the highway, it's not as noisy as I would have thought with the tires (the Cooper STT Pros are surprisingly quiet), but between the tires and the rack and lights, it's pretty loud wind-wise. It gets blown around a fair bit given the height. But nothing unmanageable or unsafe. Most of my trips are with family and 4+ hours out of the bay area, and it hasn't been a deterrent for us yet.
Yeah, it’s a weird decision to make. But I love the look of your disco, but it may be a little too too heavy for the trails I want to go in. Especially with my rooftop tent. But I always hear how comfortable they are

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Those are sweet! Still the best looking rig I’ve come across.

disco_unchained

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlingame, CA, USA
Member #

Those are sweet! Still the best looking rig I’ve come across.
Thank you! I’d highly recommend the sliders. Dark crow designs out of Ohio. He makes them rounded or squared off. If you’re willing to do the priming and painting yourself, it’s a way to save a bit over the tactical rovers(which I really wanted) or RTE ones. It’s a physical install, but once you get the first one done it’s easy.

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Thank you! I’d highly recommend the sliders. Dark crow designs out of Ohio. He makes them rounded or squared off. If you’re willing to do the priming and painting yourself, it’s a way to save a bit over the tactical rovers(which I really wanted) or RTE ones. It’s a physical install, but once you get the first one done it’s easy.
Ha... it can’t be as hard as swapping out the transfer case. That was a bear. I thought about just doing the output shaft swap like you did, but I have an ‘02 and the‘04 case I got looked to be in great shape has lower mileage on it. I’m glad I swapped the entire case though. The Ashcroft CDL was a good call, even though it was pricey it works great.
I’m definitely going to look at those sliders when I get to that point. I just ordered the rear bumper, still trying to figure out which front bumper I’m gonna do. Everybody seems to have fitment issues with the Terrafirma. I did the 3” lift and I get rub when I turn hard. I ended up trimming my stock bumper valance until I get the new one. I was surprised I had rub. I only went with 265/75r/16’s. It looks good though. I gotta get my spare mounted today.
53B71809-8D72-4053-8EA9-BE81C11C8D3C.jpeg

disco_unchained

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlingame, CA, USA
Member #

Ha... it can’t be as hard as swapping out the transfer case. That was a bear. I thought about just doing the output shaft swap like you did, but I have an ‘02 and the‘04 case I got looked to be in great shape has lower mileage on it. I’m glad I swapped the entire case though. The Ashcroft CDL was a good call, even though it was pricey it works great.
I’m definitely going to look at those sliders when I get to that point. I just ordered the rear bumper, still trying to figure out which front bumper I’m gonna do. Everybody seems to have fitment issues with the Terrafirma. I did the 3” lift and I get rub when I turn hard. I ended up trimming my stock bumper valance until I get the new one. I was surprised I had rub. I only went with 265/75r/16’s. It looks good though. I gotta get my spare mounted today.
Your truck is looking awesome. I dig those tires.

The dark crow designs place makes front bumpers too. I'm bearish on the terrafirma ones. If I had a do over, I'd do RTE or Dark Crow or Tactical Rovers.

I'm actually looking at swapping out my rear bumper for a custom built one by stellar built here in sacramento to include a swingout for the spare tire and a mount for the jerry cans and hi-lift.

Reactions: soarvet

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Stellar huh, never heard of them. I’ll have to look them up.

disco_unchained

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlingame, CA, USA
Member #

Latest update. Got an o2 sensor fault and had had some misfires in the past, so decided to replace the whole exhaust system while at it. Put in the magnaflow cats, muffler, and cat-back. Sounds awesome. Probably placebo effect, but pretty damn sure it's got a little more giddy-up on the hills now:

IMG_9005.jpg

Next up: New ball joints and hubs! And maybe a drawer system.

Last edited:

disco_unchained

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlingame, CA, USA
Member #

Have a steering groan while turning right due to worn out ball joints. Got a quote to replace them for $1500 (gotta love the bay area). Used this quarantine time to replace the ball joints and put in new hubs. Most physical thing I've had to do to this truck so far. And I'm only half way there! Took me snapping off two 1/2 drive breaker bars to realize I needed a 3/4 drive breaker bar and socket to loosen that axle nut. Lesson learned.

IMG-9220.jpgIMG-9223.jpgIMG-9251.jpgIMG-9253.jpg

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
@disco_unchained looking good man. Only thing I’ve gotten accomplished is installed the rear bumper. Mines been throwing random misfire cylinders. I need to dig in and change out the coil packs. How’s it running with the new exhaust?

disco_unchained

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlingame, CA, USA
Member #

@disco_unchained Mines been throwing random misfire cylinders. I need to dig in and change out the coil packs. How’s it running with the new exhaust?
I had those misfires at about 70K and changed out the wires to the magnacore's and was fine after that. it's a bitch of a job if you have the SAI though. Good luck! Re: the exhaust it feels like it has a little more pep. Got a bit of a rattle as the rubber mounts were pretty shot. Ordered some new mounts to fix that.

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I had those misfires at about 70K and changed out the wires to the magnacore's and was fine after that. it's a bitch of a job if you have the SAI though. Good luck! Re: the exhaust it feels like it has a little more pep. Got a bit of a rattle as the rubber mounts were pretty shot. Ordered some new mounts to fix that.
yeah, I swapped out the wires to magnacores when I first bought the rig hoping that would solve that. I seemed to work for a little while, but I’m leaning toward the coil packs now. I don’t t have the SAI. The coil pack replacement required the removal of the intake manifold, so at least I can swap out some valve cover gaskets and plenum gasket.

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
That's the problem with LR's. If you are going to rely on shops, the truck is totaled every time a coil blows. I'd love a disco one day as a third vehicle. In the meantime, I turned my tacoma in a land rover.

View attachment 146494
it actually is my 3rd vehicle. I have a Tundra, my dad gave me his old 94 2nd gen Cummins and I picked up my Disco for $900. I end up going back and forth on projects between the dodge and disco. I need to just pick one and stay the course. I barely drive my Tundra anymore. That’s a nice Tacoma you got there. Is that a front runner rack? How do you like it. I like the modularity of those. Debating on that for the disco or the traditional Baja Rack.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

it actually is my 3rd vehicle. I have a Tundra, my dad gave me his old 94 2nd gen Cummins and I picked up my Disco for $900. I end up going back and forth on projects between the dodge and disco. I need to just pick one and stay the course. I barely drive my Tundra anymore. That’s a nice Tacoma you got there. Is that a front runner rack? How do you like it. I like the modularity of those. Debating on that for the disco or the traditional Baja Rack.
Yeah frontrunner slimline rack. It's great, I've got awning, pole holders, maxtrax, and solar panel all mounted to it. And there's still room and use for it.

Reactions: Alyssa_FRO

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Have a steering groan while turning right due to worn out ball joints. Got a quote to replace them for $1500 (gotta love the bay area). Used this quarantine time to replace the ball joints and put in new hubs. Most physical thing I've had to do to this truck so far. And I'm only half way there! Took me snapping off two 1/2 drive breaker bars to realize I needed a 3/4 drive breaker bar and socket to loosen that axle nut. Lesson learned.

View attachment 146482View attachment 146483View attachment 146484View attachment 146485
...it took a 3/4" to crack it loose? Woah! Good to know, maybe I need to upgrade my kit now before I get in the same sticky situation :openmouth:

Reactions: soarvet