2003 Atomic Orange Nissan Xterra 4X4 Overland Build (Codename : Tigger) Picture Heavy

• HTML tutorial

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Someone on the internet said the eBay one fit too lol. I hope the dobinsons does actually fit though.

Schrockworks skids were the first things I put on the truck
I still don't have skids yet. The nice thing is, with the way the X is designed, everything is tucked up between the frame rails, so I'm not overly worried about hitting anything at the moment, but I'm not doing anything too rocky at this point. Not usually, anyways.

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

I really like the Doug Thorley headers and with tax return coming soon I'll have the extra money to spend on them. Ialso just discovered yesterday that my steering gear box is leaking from the pitman shaft seal so guess what i'm replacing soon! GRRR! I could get a rebuild kit for $15 but everything else under there is brand new so just going to get a remanufactured gearbox and pump and replace the lines. This is my daily driver so it MUST be reliable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dusther210

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

I finished building my drawer system. I haven't painted it yet (been too cold), but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

There's some things you can't see in these pictures. There's a faucet behind the passenger tail light. All my electrical is underneath a hinged door, and behind the drawers, up against the seats. I have 5 more relays for lights, and one more switch open on the panel on the right side of the drawers that I'm not sure what to do with. I'll also probably replace the USB ports on the panels with USB 3 ports.
Do you have any idea the weight of it? Is that 3/4 pine for the sides and drawer fronts? are those locking slides?

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Weight honestly isn't bad. I can pick the whole thing up without too much effort if it's unloaded. Drawer sides and vertical supports for the platform are from a 1x8, so yeah, it should be about 3/4in. Top of the platform is 1/2in plywood. With the middle support, 1/2in barely flexes even with me on it, so it should be totally fine. Slides are not locking (I didn't want to pay that much). The slides I bought were $40 each, and hold 250lbs. A couple of barrel latches keep the from opening.

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Weight honestly isn't bad. I can pick the whole thing up without too much effort if it's unloaded. Drawer sides and vertical supports for the platform are from a 1x8, so yeah, it should be about 3/4in. Top of the platform is 1/2in plywood. With the middle support, 1/2in barely flexes even with me on it, so it should be totally fine. Slides are not locking (I didn't want to pay that much). The slides I bought were $40 each, and hold 250lbs. A couple of barrel latches keep the from opening.
How do you keep them from closing when you want them to stay open

Ernpup

Rank I

Traveler I

Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Ernest
Last Name
Sandoval III
Member #

Is there a Nissan owners thread on here? I think that would be really cool. Also when doing the PML I would recommend picking up the rear with AALs instead of extended shackles like I did. The flex is really nice but leafs are flat after a few months. For tires I went budget as well, running the Westlake SL369 (AT) in 235/85r16. They've been pretty awesome but when we get new tires we are gonna try 285/75r16 ATs on the Xterra and 285/75r16 Thunder Trac or Crosswinds (MTs) on the Frontier.

How is the rig coming along? How's the drawer system?
Love the AAL on my 02. Put the Bilstein 5100’s back there and it’s a great combo! So far so good. Looking at putting 33’s

Attachments

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Is there a Nissan owners thread on here? I think that would be really cool. Also when doing the PML I would recommend picking up the rear with AALs instead of extended shackles like I did. The flex is really nice but leafs are flat after a few months. For tires I went budget as well, running the Westlake SL369 (AT) in 235/85r16. They've been pretty awesome but when we get new tires we are gonna try 285/75r16 ATs on the Xterra and 285/75r16 Thunder Trac or Crosswinds (MTs) on the Frontier.

Love the AAL on my 02. Put the Bilstein 5100’s back there and it’s a great combo! So far so good. Looking at putting 33’s
My frontier has AAL and shackle combo on 33s. The 5100s are a must with a lift.
That’s a nice looking rig you got there btw!

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

I used the adjustable shackles because I plan on going higher in the future plus there will be additional weight in the back at some point so I will do AAL for the near future and then when I get everything dialed in I'll go with custom alcan springs as my end goal.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I used the adjustable shackles because I plan on going higher in the future plus there will be additional weight in the back at some point so I will do AAL for the near future and then when I get everything dialed in I'll go with custom alcan springs as my end goal.
This is my plan as well. I've got the adjustable shackles already, and they're sitting about half way atm, since I'm yet to lift the front. I plan on doing front ucas later this year and throwing 5100s on all four corners. We'll drive it that way for a while, and see how it does.

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

This is my plan as well. I've got the adjustable shackles already, and they're sitting about half way atm, since I'm yet to lift the front. I plan on doing front ucas later this year and throwing 5100s on all four corners. We'll drive it that way for a while, and see how it does.
Haha great minds think alike!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
True! Although, to be fair, there's really only a few options for lifting the first gens. Lol.

I've been on some pretty gnarly trails just at stock height, and not had a problem yet. And that's with no lift, and no skid plates. The plan is to have both of those on by the end of the year.

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

True! Although, to be fair, there's really only a few options for lifting the first gens. Lol.

I've been on some pretty gnarly trails just at stock height, and not had a problem yet. And that's with no lift, and no skid plates. The plan is to have both of those on by the end of the year.
Same hear. Still trying to decide if I want revolver shackles or not. Thos is an overland build so don't plan on doing king of the hammer with it or any other kind of craziness. I mean after all this is my dd

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Same hear. Still trying to decide if I want revolver shackles or not. Thos is an overland build so don't plan on doing king of the hammer with it or any other kind of craziness. I mean after all this is my dd
Pretty much. If I wanted to straight rock crawl, I'd buy an old xj and stuff 37s under it.

Reactions: ryno9562

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Pretty much. If I wanted to straight rock crawl, I'd buy an old xj and stuff 37s under it.
There are way too many people out there who don't understand the concept of know your vehicles limits LOL

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
There are way too many people out there who don't understand the concept of know your vehicles limits LOL
LOL. Just because you have 37s, twin lockers, sway bar disconnects, and a "trail rated" badge doesn't mean you're gonna go and do the Rubicon. Just saying!

Reactions: ryno9562